Increased JFK/LAX/SEA-LHR frequency on VS metal

LAX getting VS A350
mattya9 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by ab2013
https://news.delta.com/delta-virgin-...us-and-uk-2020
Increased JFK/LAX/SEA-LHR frequency on VS metal
Actually the increased JFK-LHR frequency will be with DL metal as VS cuts one daily here. DL will operate its third daily JFK-LHR with a daylight eastbound JFK-LHR and the first-flight-of-the-day return from LHR.

So for DL metal, it's

+BOS-MAN 75S (new daily seasonal)
+BOS-LGW 75S (new daily; not clear whether it's year-round or seasonal)
+JFK-LHR 764 (new frequency so 3x daily)

For VS metal, it's

+JFK-LGW A332 (new daily, not clear whether seasonal or year-round)
-JFK-LHR (less one daily flight)
+LAX-LHR (increase of 3x weekly to 17x weekly)
+SEA-LHR (increase of 4x weekly to 11x weekly)

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Aug 15, 2019 at 8:57 am Reason: more details
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Plat

glad to see bos-man starting, but can we get more point to point service (this is mainly just more hub to hub service)? aa's new routes were much more interesting with service to bud and krk.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by runningformqm
glad to see bos-man starting, but can we get more point to point service (this is mainly just more hub to hub service)? aa's new routes were much more interesting with service to bud and krk.
I assume, (and I have no way of knowing). this was strictly a DL/VS UK press release. Any additions outside of the UK for 2020, I assume, will be in a separate announcement..
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by runningformqm

AA's routes are more "interesting" because they are playing catch-up on the TATL market and trying to fill in gaps that others are not serving or they see unmet need.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Like seeing an additional frequency on DL metal -- means more C+ available
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Happy to see more TATL from Seattle, I think we're at a fairly pivotal moment of the hub as the international expansion happens and AS digs in for more competition - I hope the routes work and we can continue to build out the domestic feed to support it as well.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
I can't remember where I read it, but I remember seeing ATL was going to get the VS A350 after JFK. Either that was wrong, or VS changed plans. Still, LAX makes a lot more sense than ATL for a flagship plane.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't read closely enough when I first saw this.

The new DL frequency ex-JFK is a really nice addition.

A 1015am JFK - LHR means you can now do a daylight flight from the East Coast outside of JFK (aka connect in from RDU or similar) which is huge and the early morning ex-LHR flight back means you can get back home if on the East Coast around mid-day.

Schedule details from press release:

Delta’s new London-Heathrow service is scheduled as follows:
JFK
  • Departs JFK at 10:15 a.m. and arrives LHR at 10:25 p.m. (daily)
  • Departs LHR at 7:30 a.m. and arrives JFK at 10:30 a.m. (daily)
Delta and Virgin Atlantic’s new London Gatwick services are scheduled as follows:
BOS
  • Departs BOS at 9:00 p.m. and arrives LGW at 8:45 a.m. (next day) (daily)
  • Departs LGW at 10:30 a.m. and arrives BOS at 1:20 p.m. (daily)
JFK
  • Departs JFK at 7:30 p.m. and arrives LGW at 7:50 a.m. (next day) (daily)
  • Departs LGW at 12:55 p.m. and arrives JFK at 3:40 p.m. (daily)
Delta’s new Manchester service is scheduled as follows:
BOS
  • Departs BOS at 10:00 p.m. and arrives MAN at 9:30 a.m. (next day) (daily)
  • Departs MAN at 11:30 a.m. and arrives BOS at 2:00 p.m. (daily)
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
The Gatwick flights have already been discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1963948-delta-returns-london-gatwick-its-first-trans-atlantic-destination.html

Though I don't remember seeing anything on Manchester until now.

The Boston flights are just a response to B6.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Didn't read closely enough when I first saw this.

The new DL frequency ex-JFK is a really nice addition.

A 1015am JFK - LHR means you can now do a daylight flight from the East Coast outside of JFK (aka connect in from RDU or similar) which is huge and the early morning ex-LHR flight back means you can get back home if on the East Coast around mid-day.

Schedule details from press release:

Back in the 90s I would commute back and forth regularly from the east coast to LHR. I would only take the day flight EB as I got a whole day of work done, landed in London and went to sleep. At the time the only day flights offered were JFK, IAD, ORD and YYZ. The only one of these that I could connect to without an overnight was ORD due to the extra hour. Glad to see JFK at 1015am will allow same-day connections.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
The Gatwick flights have already been discussed here: Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Though I don't remember seeing anything on Manchester until now.

The Boston flights are just a response to B6.
I don't buy this whole 'B6 response' argument. DL already operates numerous year-round and seasonal TATL routes out of BOS plus it's JV with VS, and AF/KL. B6 won't even have the planes until 2021. Sure, DL is keeping a close eye on B6, but until those seats go on sale, I really don't think DL is worried. LGW is the cheaper airport and VS already has a large presence there so it's simply an easy way for them to add frequency to LON without fighting for another slot at LHR. The BOS-MAN route is really just a metal swap with a few added frequencies because VS has already been flying this route seasonally a few days a week for the last few summers.
pbarnette and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by manacit
Happy to see more TATL from Seattle, I think we're at a fairly pivotal moment of the hub as the international expansion happens and AS digs in for more competition - I hope the routes work and we can continue to build out the domestic feed to support it as well.
Yeah. The second daily (4/wk) to Heathrow from SEA was interesting. It’ll make DL/VS’s London offering more competitive with BA’s, which is definitely 2x daily most of the year.

Might also signal a shift in strategy for the hub - definitely not just about TPAC and domestic flights feeding it - it’ll be interesting what else DL decides to add to SEA as the new IAF comes online next year (unless it’s been delayed again lol)
manacit likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:29 pm

I was at AUS tonight and was surprised to see a large BA plane there with a nonstop to LHR.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I was at AUS tonight and was surprised to see a large BA plane there with a nonstop to LHR.
Yeah they are running a daily 747 (upgauged from the 787 they launched with)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.