Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tuscaloosa airport recruiting Delta, SkyWest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuscaloosa airport recruiting Delta, SkyWest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
This has been rumored for a long time. The University of Alabama has had massive growth in the past decade and now there are almost 40k students on campus, 60% of which are from out of state. There is certainly a market, but how much and how seasonal it is - I have no idea.

Originally Posted by JTE458
Any details on timeframe? Behind a paywall so can't read. I have several trips to Tuscaloosa planned and flying to BHM and driving with that construction really sucks.
No timing mentioned. Here's a clean link to the article for anyone interested - I didn't hit a paywall using this link: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ywest-for.html.

(Also, I feel you on the construction in Birmingham being a PITA, but remember it's temporary. The new bridges should be finished by the end of next year.)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the football stadium in Birmingham? Birmingham would have more hotel space too and IME the drive from BHM isn't bad at all. [I went to a game there once, and it was definitely not in Tuscaloosa--it was about an hour's drive from campus, in a residential area that was certainly urban.]

Alabama used to play home football games at Legion Field in Birmingham, but the last game there was in 2003. The stadium in Tuscaloosa has been expanded a couple of times since then and now seats 100k+. Local lore is that since Tuscaloosa only has around 100k to begin with, and counting the non-resident students and out of town fans in the stadium on fall football Saturdays (especially during games against rivals), for a couple of days each year it's the largest city in the state.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is indeed a large Mercedes plant but it is about 20 miles out of town on the way to Birmingham.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Wait wait wait wait wait......

So dang Birmingham is gonna get a 2nd airport before Atlanta?!? WTH?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Hmm...I can't see this working for residents of Atlanta. By the time you drive to the airport, park, check in, security, etc you could have driven. Connecting traffic....honestly I would not pay a premium for that. Birmingham is close, and it's not THAT far from Atlanta (I am speaking as someone who will often take 12 hr road trips). And you can bet it would be very expensive to fly there. Also CRJ 200. I think a lot of small towns will say "I deserve major airline service from my airport" but it rarely can support it. We shall see. Delta doesn't seem the type experiment with new routes.
This wouldn't generally be targeted at O&D passengers,

I think it is a waste honestly and many of the current EAS cities are a waste of taxpayer money.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
This has been rumored for a long time. The University of Alabama has had massive growth in the past decade and now there are almost 40k students on campus, 60% of which are from out of state.
And most of them would drive home rather than fly. Of those that fly, I'd guess 90% of them will drive to BHM if the fare is $50 cheaper. Especially with all the routing options provided by other airlines. There might be enough student travel to fill the flights on a few key dates, but it's very specific to the University schedule.

Mercedes are only 45 minutes from BHM, and 30 minutes from TCL, I doubt they will have much impact.

I can't see this working, there isn't enough business travel and students are very price sensitive. Of course, with government $$ anything is possible...

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Michigan and Penn State are indeed the second and third largest in the world. Ohio State is sixth. USC is a fair bit further down the list.
What is first?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
What is first?
No, who's on first.

Anyway I googled it, apparently it is in North Korea!?

List_of_stadiums_by_capacity

Edit to add, 2 of the top 20 are in Alabama.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:53 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by indufan
This wouldn't generally be targeted at O&D passengers,

I think it is a waste honestly and many of the current EAS cities are a waste of taxpayer money.
I would tend to agree. Some EAS cities/towns that are far away from big cities and hard to get to make a little bit more sense, but this isn't exactly an underprivileged market.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I would tend to agree. Some EAS cities/towns that are far away from big cities and hard to get to make a little bit more sense, but this isn't exactly an underprivileged market.
No, its not an underprivileged market, but they are not trying to enter the EAS program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.