Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tuscaloosa airport recruiting Delta, SkyWest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuscaloosa airport recruiting Delta, SkyWest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
lol; back to the future ...

Southern (merged with North Central ~1979 to become Republic, which was acquired by Northwest ~1986, which was acquired by Delta ~2008) flew TCL-ATL with the venerable Martin 404
That looked JUST like a Convair ....(I checked and they were NOT the same airframe built by 2 different companies which was my first thought) Im not expert enough to tell the difference from a photo...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:09 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Hmm...I can't see this working for residents of Atlanta. By the time you drive to the airport, park, check in, security, etc you could have driven. Connecting traffic....honestly I would not pay a premium for that. Birmingham is close, and it's not THAT far from Atlanta (I am speaking as someone who will often take 12 hr road trips). And you can bet it would be very expensive to fly there. Also CRJ 200. I think a lot of small towns will say "I deserve major airline service from my airport" but it rarely can support it. We shall see. Delta doesn't seem the type experiment with new routes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
The problem with small town US service
  1. I want a jet, a prop isn't good enough (just read FT to confirm this)
  2. Why don't have I service ?
The answer for #2 is see #1
Somewhat relevant - I saw a Facebook ad for this website the other day. Yes, it's real.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Remember that Delta itself doesn't have much to do with this decision. They will just sell the ticket. The city, SkyWest, and the government, through the EAS program are the ones to make a deal. If the government agrees to fund it, SkyWest will bid for it and probably get it. SkyWest loves doing EAS routes and has the crews and planes to do it. They’ve taken over quite a few EAS cities over the last couple of years from other airlines like Great Lakes, which shutdown last year. In the end, SkyWest will be the one that gets the subsidy.

Meridian, MS use to have service to ATL as well. But they’ve had service to both ORD and DFW as American Eagle for a few years now too, with a stop in Hattiesburg. SkyWest picked this up too.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
Somewhat relevant - I saw a Facebook ad for this website the other day. Yes, it's real.
Who is funding this nonsense?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a tough one. It would be great for the airport to have flights, and the population warrants it, but Birmingham has a nice airport that is growing fast with 15% year over year traffic growth. I have been out to the Tuscaloosa airport a few times and it looks like it would need a good sized investment in order to handle commercial flights. Seems like a bit of a waste for 1-2 flights per day.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Hmm...I can't see this working for residents of Atlanta. By the time you drive to the airport, park, check in, security, etc you could have driven. Connecting traffic....honestly I would not pay a premium for that. Birmingham is close, and it's not THAT far from Atlanta (I am speaking as someone who will often take 12 hr road trips). And you can bet it would be very expensive to fly there. Also CRJ 200. I think a lot of small towns will say "I deserve major airline service from my airport" but it rarely can support it. We shall see. Delta doesn't seem the type experiment with new routes.
As someone who often flies to smaller towns around the Southeast from ATL, I find a 3 hour drive to be the inflection point. Anything 4 or over I will almost always fly. Two or under I will always drive. More often than not, I would probably fly to Tuscaloosa than drive. But everyone has different tolerances (e.g. I don't feel any need to arrive at ATL more than 45 min before a flight).
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:25 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
As someone who often flies to smaller towns around the Southeast from ATL, I find a 3 hour drive to be the inflection point. Anything 4 or over I will almost always fly. Two or under I will always drive. More often than not, I would probably fly to Tuscaloosa than drive. But everyone has different tolerances (e.g. I don't feel any need to arrive at ATL more than 45 min before a flight).
I can understand that. I really enjoy driving out I-20 West (I know I'm crazy). Everyone's perspective is different, but if I could bill a client or have my business pay for me to fly to places like that I certainly would take advantage of that route. I am interested to see how things go.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy
The university is growing, the National Water Center is there, and football season would see a lot of flights that otherwise go to BHM. It'd be nice for t-town to get this. I'd think more alumni would visit if they could fly in easier.
Isn't the football stadium in Birmingham? Birmingham would have more hotel space too and IME the drive from BHM isn't bad at all. [I went to a game there once, and it was definitely not in Tuscaloosa--it was about an hour's drive from campus, in a residential area that was certainly urban.]

More importantly, Dreamland (ribs) is in Tuscaloosa and IIRC there's a big auto assembly plant (Mercedes) that would generate a lot of business travel. However, I assume that the market is much smaller than Huntsville (and its high prices), even under optimistic projections.

Is $750,000 enough to attract DL with a guarantee and how we know that the city/airport/whatever isn't going for WN instead? OTOH, if international business travel is part of the motivation, DL would be the obvious choice and probably the carrier that folks are already using.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by jrl767
lol; back to the future ...

Southern (merged with North Central ~1979 to become Republic, which was acquired by Northwest ~1986, which was acquired by Delta ~2008) flew TCL-ATL with the venerable Martin 404
They could probably find a couple of Southern DC-3's or Endeavor SAAB's to fly the route. Maybe a Twin Otter. It would probably support an RON with an early evening arrival and an early morning departure

They could do what UA used to do with ABE. Set up a schedule then cancel the flights regularly and bus them to EWR. DL could bus them from TCL to BHM.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the football stadium in Birmingham?
No.

There are only 2 football stadiums (that matter) in Alabama.
One in Tuscaloosa, the other in Auburn.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
No.

There are only 2 football stadiums (that matter) in Alabama.
One in Tuscaloosa, the other in Auburn.
Though Bama did play many “home” games in Birmingham prior to the expansion of Bryant-Denny over the past decade or two.

The funny thing is that Bryant-Denny is the eighth largest stadium in the world and three of those bigger are SEC stadiums.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Though Bama did play many “home” games in Birmingham prior to the expansion of Bryant-Denny over the past decade or two.

The funny thing is that Bryant-Denny is the eighth largest stadium in the world and three of those bigger are SEC stadiums.
Michigan and Penn State must be among the truly large ones, maybe ("the") Ohio State and USC too.

Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They could do what UA used to do with ABE. Set up a schedule then cancel the flights regularly and bus them to EWR. DL could bus them from TCL to BHM.
that was actually a CO ploy, long before the UA merger ... their schedules showed connecting service to ABE using a 4-digit "flight" number out of EWR (I want to say it was 84xx, and they actually gave the 500-mile minimum segment credit); somewhere buried in the fine print was a notation about "Express motor coach service from Newark to Allentown" ... iirc the bus used the C gate (71?) along with the airside shuttle to/from the CO Express gates in A
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Michigan and Penn State must be among the truly large ones, maybe ("the") Ohio State and USC too.

Michigan and Penn State are indeed the second and third largest in the world. Ohio State is sixth. USC is a fair bit further down the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.