Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to make a flight change when one leg sold out?

Old Aug 14, 19, 4:43 am
Original Poster

So I was hoping someone could tell me if this is possible for a phone agent to do as I can't seem to do online. Trying to modify the destination city for second leg of a two leg one way first class purchased itinerary XXX-ATL-YYY. No options for first appear when I try to modify the flight (I want to change the YYY destination to ZZZ) online, even though a dummy booking of ATL-ZZZ shows First wide open and available for purchase. I presume this is due to the XXX-ATL leg being sold out in First--so even though I still want to travel on that sold out segment, computer can't or won't recognize that a seat would become available and change my itinerary for new ultimate destination of ZZZ. Can agent force the new segment into my existing XXX-ATL segment and get a price or is there another way to do this? I suppose I can't even just make it XXX-ATL and buy a separate ATL to ZZZ as I hit same issue--thinks would be sold out and won't offer the seat as available.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Is your routing valid from start to end point? Maybe that's why it's not showing up.

If a leg is really sold out in F and you want it, you can always downgrade. Not sure what else you're asking.
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:55 am

Why not call Delta?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Is your routing valid from start to end point? Maybe that's why it's not showing up.

If a leg is really sold out in F and you want it, you can always downgrade. Not sure what else you're asking.

Hi, yes the downgrade option does in fact show up when I try to modify the destination as routing is valid--I just want to change second leg from one east coast city to another.

What I'm asking is--since the first leg to ATL is sold out in first (and i have one of those seats on my original itinerary) and I would still take that first leg if I only wanted to change my second leg--I presume that is why the First Class option doesn't show up as computer thinks first class is sold out on the way to ATL---even though obviously I could take the seat for that leg that I already have in my original itinerary if and when I was able to book the new itinerary with only a new second leg destination from ATL.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by chfenton View Post
Hi, yes the downgrade option does in fact show up when I try to modify the destination as routing is valid--I just want to change second leg from one east coast city to another.

What I'm asking is--since the first leg to ATL is sold out in first (and i have one of those seats on my original itinerary) and I would still take that first leg if I only wanted to change my second leg--I presume that is why the First Class option doesn't show up as computer thinks first class is sold out on the way to ATL---even though obviously I could take the seat for that leg that I already have in my original itinerary if and when I was able to book the new itinerary with only a new second leg destination from ATL.
I understand now. Yes, given you have a seat on the first leg, a phone agent should be able to manually add in the second leg and get you going. That should be easy peezy, especially if the first leg is DL operated too (which I assume it is going into ATL).

If they don't know how to or whatever, ask for the domestic manual reissue desk.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I understand now. Yes, given you have a seat on the first leg, a phone agent should be able to manually add in the second leg and get you going. That should be easy peezy, especially if the first leg is DL operated too (which I assume it is going into ATL).

If they don't know how to or whatever, ask for the domestic manual reissue desk.
So I finally got a chance to call and Plat Med agent didn't know how to do so thanks to your suggestion had them ask the manual reissue desk. He came back with a big fat "no" that it would only reissue based on what is available e.g. main cabin. I explained that if they cancelled my original itinerary however the first class seat would be available so couldn't they reissue---seemed lost on them. I didn't think it would be this difficult since the actual leg I want to change is wide open in First but the leg I want to keep is sold out so they cant re-price it? Does that seem right or should I HUCA?
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
married segment logic being what it is, there's no guarantee that cancelling OP's XXX-ATL-YYY itinerary will actually make the F seat available to rebook XXX-ATL-ZZZ
Mr. Tickets and steve64 like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
married segment logic being what it is, there's no guarantee that cancelling OP's XXX-ATL-YYY itinerary will actually make the F seat available to rebook XXX-ATL-ZZZ
But it's pretty likely. And the OP doesn't want to fly it as is anyways, so a full on cancel would be the next best option anyways.

Originally Posted by chfenton View Post
So I finally got a chance to call and Plat Med agent didn't know how to do so thanks to your suggestion had them ask the manual reissue desk. He came back with a big fat "no" that it would only reissue based on what is available e.g. main cabin. I explained that if they cancelled my original itinerary however the first class seat would be available so couldn't they reissue---seemed lost on them. I didn't think it would be this difficult since the actual leg I want to change is wide open in First but the leg I want to keep is sold out so they cant re-price it? Does that seem right or should I HUCA?
I would HUCA. Ask the next agent who comes on if they're manual reissue trained. If they say yes, go through it with them briefly.

If no or they aren't getting it or being difficult, ask for a CES Agent (Customer Experience Supervisor). Explain to them what you're trying to do. They are all manual reissue trained and should be able to help as best they can. And they also have authority over the manual reissue desk.
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all,

Just curious - what would happen if I bought a separate ATL-ZZZ ticket? Does computer auto cancel (like I believe AA would do) as duplicate / same time flight as something already booked? What if I booked that short hop segment without my skymiles #--am I violating any rules if I get on ZZZ flight from ATL instead of YYY---giving them extra revenue but not taking 2nd leg of original itinerary. I'm not going to do that -- YYY and ZZZ are about 3 hours apart I'll just drive from my original ticketed destination if i can't get that segment changed. I am just curious as I assume that would be a violation of the COC's if I don't go to destination YYY as ticketed and get off in ATL? Again not looking like I'm trying a hidden city or anything like that, as I believe just taking XXX-ATL was much cheaper than XXX-ATL-YYY when I originally booked.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Good luck. You will need to find a highly experienced agent to be able to do this.

A few years ago I was flying ECP-ATL-MSP-ANC. The ATL-MSP and MSP-ANC legs were both sold out. Late the night before I received a notification my early morning ECP-ATL segment was canceled (late night inbound went missed due to fog). Called up DL to switch to originate out of TLH (a few hours drive, but had availability and I could connect to my originally scheduled ATL-MSP and MSP-ANC flights). I almost got into a screaming match with the agents who kept telling me "No" the second and third segments are sold out. I finally had to explain to them step by step that I was already confirmed on the second and third segments and just needed to change the first. It took escalating to 3 different supervisors to get someone to figure out how to do it. It was finally done, but frustrating. Good luck!
Old Aug 15, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta DM
Pretty obvious what the problem is. If an agent pulls availability from XXX-ATL-ZZZ and XXX-ATL is full, the response will come back as F0 for both segments. I would ask the agent for the following: Prior to repricing an itinerary, I would like to drop ATL-YYY from my existing reservation and add ATL-ZZZ. Then, the agent would be able to reprice the ticket knowing that the two segments were not sold with married segment logic. Essentially, this would likely be priced as a broken fare XXX-ATL + ATL-ZZZ. The residual value of the ticket would be applied to whatever the new additive itinerary prices out at.

With that said, it's possible that this might outsmart the system and it could be fared as a XXX-ATL-ZZZ ticket. It depends on how smart delta has made its pricing system recognize segments sold as married logic versus simply sequenced within fare rules that would act like a connection.

I haven't worked in Deltamatic, but in Sabre, segments would be identified as sold as a married segment by noting an * before segment 1 and after segment 2. Presumably, this is something that could be used to ensure that married segments alone are priced origin/connection/destination.

As another data point that is certainly dated, when delta left segment by segment pricing for award tickets, there was a disconnect in the system's pricing married logic v. pieced together segments in sequence. I was looking for mileage seats in J from LAX to PBI. Both segments had the space available when sold separately. But in terms of availability, there was no space when sold as LAX ATL and ATL PBI. Nevertheless, if I built a multi city itinerary, I was able to capture the availability and the system priced it as married segment. This was a few years ago, so I suspect DL has smarted up the system considerably.
bloc0102 and mayhem like this.