Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

(Another C+ Thread) Will Delta keep two seats next to one another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Another C+ Thread) Will Delta keep two seats next to one another?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Question (Another C+ Thread) Will Delta keep two seats next to one another?

Hi Folks,

Sorry for another C+ thread, quick question that isn't on the DL FAQ and couldn't find on the forums.

I (GM, if it matters) am booked with a companion in main (upgrade eligible) and we have seats next to one another for all flights. If I check the box for complimentary C+ upgrades, will DL split us up or only upgrade if there are two seats next to one another? I'd rather sit in main together than C+ apart.

Failing that, I can set an alarm for 72HRs before the flight to try to poach it then, but it would be nice if checking the box did the sensible thing (hah, right?).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
They will split you and put you into any seats
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Set the alarm, and if you're lucky, you may be able to manually clear yourself into C+ and select seats before the auto-upgrade runs for everyone else.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Set the alarm, and if you're lucky, you may be able to manually clear yourself into C+ and select seats before the auto-upgrade runs for everyone else.

The odds of there being any great selection at 72 hours prior to departure are pretty slim. I would not count on two seats together, in fact I wouldn't be surprised that if anything is
left at that point, it would probably be middle seats.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FC flyer
They will split you and put you into any seats
Sure, but doesn’t cost much :-)

if I have a connection do it check at 72H before each flight or just before the first leg?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
72hr is the earliest a GM can get C+ upgrades, but doesn't have to be right on the nose. If Delta thinks they can sell those seats through app upgrades or on Delta.com, they might and often do wait until check-in or even the gate to process upgrades.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If it 3-3, what about requesting an aisle/window upgrade only? If that clears, then the middle is easy.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
The odds of there being any great selection at 72 hours prior to departure are pretty slim. I would not count on two seats together, in fact I wouldn't be surprised that if anything is
left at that point, it would probably be middle seats.
You don't have to "count on" anything, you can look at the seat map a few minutes beforehand. If there aren't two seats together, don't do anything. If there are, request the upgrade right after T-72. @:-) Some flights will be full in C+, others may have lots of seats. I've seen both situations and all in between...

Originally Posted by Gig103
72hr is the earliest a GM can get C+ upgrades, but doesn't have to be right on the nose. If Delta thinks they can sell those seats through app upgrades or on Delta.com, they might and often do wait until check-in or even the gate to process upgrades.
Yes, but either there will or there won't be elite upgrade inventory available (SU class I think). At T-72 (on the nose), Gold's become eligible for it, but previous upgrade requests may not be processed instantly.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
If it 3-3, what about requesting an aisle/window upgrade only? If that clears, then the middle is easy.
I've yet to see the aisle/window only choice in advance. It's only shown up for me at OLCI. I think it was a feature that was rolling out.

If you do have that choice, and select it, with 2 pax on the reservation, I assume (but don't know for sure) that it will only clear the upgrade if both pax can be put into a window or aisle.
Of course it's also possible that this option won't show up at all for PNRs with 2 pax because DL hasn't coded that logic into the process. Not really sure.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
You don't have to "count on" anything, you can look at the seat map a few minutes beforehand. If there aren't two seats together, don't do anything. If there are, request the upgrade right after T-72. @:-)
Do you actually have to go through the intermediate step of checking the upgrade request box, or can you just pick a new C+ seat from the seatmap if there is inventory inside the appropriate time window even if you leave the box unchecked?

(I thought I saw the latter while managing one of Mom's bookings but not entirely sure my memory is correct...)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:16 am

You can always check the box and as things get closer if there are no pairs of seats left you can uncheck the box.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you get two aisle or window seats, your chances of being able to swap with someone in a middle C+ seat are good if you ask very nicely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.