Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall! Joan is celebrating her 60th anniversary! 60 years of flying. Joan is only the second FA after Bob Reardon of reaching this milestone at the company.

NWAFA
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
So with all that seniority, what routes does she fly?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ULDB65
Which ever ones she wants.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where is she based?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
She wouldn't happen to be DTW based and speak German would she?

Congratulations regardless!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:56 pm

Ok, i'll be "that guy" First off, congratulations with a long successful career, now retire. There is absolutely no way this woman is saving me, i'm 6'04" and pushing 255. I hear all the time the slogan "I'm here to save your ..., not serve it" How is a F/A who is pushing 80 years old going to save me if I become incapacitated and need to be evacuated in a crash of some sort. Not to go off in a different direction but there should be a maximum age for F/A's just like there is for pilots.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
maybe she just says, "all lines are mine"
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
ATL-MCO.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by NWAFA
A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall! Joan is celebrating her 60th anniversary! 60 years of flying. Joan is only the second FA after Bob Reardon of reaching this milestone at the company.

NWAFA
so is she #1 on the list of seniority?!?!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Wow, what an accomplishment!

I'd love to know her preferred routing.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MrHockey
Ok, i'll be "that guy" First off, congratulations with a long successful career, now retire. There is absolutely no way this woman is saving me, i'm 6'04" and pushing 255. I hear all the time the slogan "I'm here to save your ..., not serve it" How is a F/A who is pushing 80 years old going to save me if I become incapacitated and need to be evacuated in a crash of some sort. Not to go off in a different direction but there should be a maximum age for F/A's just like there is for pilots.
This. I was on DL147 from ATL-SCL one day last week, and one of the FA’s had to be pushing 80. It could have been Joan (didn’t see her name tag). She was so frail, hunched over and couldn’t stand up straight. Before boarding, when the crew arrived at the gate, she pulled out her badge to open the jetway door and she couldn’t even open the door....the gate agent had to help her open it.

All for celebrating milestones, but there should absolutely be a minimum age for FA’s. There was no way this woman would be saving anyone; God forbid something ever happens. Someone would be saving her.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by av8tr22
All for celebrating milestones, but there should absolutely be a minimum age for FA’s.
There certainly is a minimum age for FA’s. I’d guess 18 years old.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
There certainly is a minimum age for FA’s. I’d guess 18 years old.
I'll apparently have to make myself a tad more clearer. There should be a cutoff age where you are no longer allowed to be a flight attendant. That age should be 62, once you hit 62 it's mandatory retirement.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Was the FA position ever meant to be a 60 year career.
I’ve also experienced those who I can’t believe are there for my safety.

Last edited by apodo77; Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by MrHockey
I'll apparently have to make myself a tad more clearer. There should be a cutoff age where you are no longer allowed to be a flight attendant. That age should be 62, once you hit 62 it's mandatory retirement.
To be honest I don't think that having a maximum age really makes sense, and in some jurisdictions might be considered discriminatory.

I think the litmus test should be can the person do the work? It looks like the AA requirements are as follows:

• Position requires some physical exertion such as pulling, pushing, reaching, bending, walking and light lifting
• Long periods of standing and speaking
• Airports ramp operations are noisy and can be hazardous without due caution
• Extensive travel, must be able to spend consecutive nights away from home and endure all climates
• Alternative work schedules including evenings and weekends
• Ability to push or pull moveable carts weighing in excess of 250 pounds
• Ability to lift objects up to 35 pounds such as galley stowage bins and carry-on baggage

The Delta careers website is not loading for me at this moment, but their requirements should be similar. The question is: can the oldest crew member physically do the job? If so, why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.