Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$800 from giving up my seat on a 1-hour flight, is AmEx Reward the best choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Earlier this week, I got stranded.... then put on standby for the next day... the standby cleared....

but at the gate, they offered $800 each for 2 volunteers, so I volunteered. I was rebooked on a flight 1.5 hours later. My original flight was only 1 hour long. I actually arrived just 40 minutes later than the flight that I gave up.

The agent told me that I could go online to choose the gift card that I wanted. I see $800 Best Buy, $800 Neiman Marcus, and $800 AmEx Reward Card.

Am I correct in assuming that the AmEx Reward card is the best choice? It's as good as cash, right? Why would anybody pick the Best Buy or Neiman Marcus gift card?

Also... I got a call from the Delta gate agent who offered me the $800. She wanted to make sure that I was able to go to the website and pick the gift card. She also asked if I got to my hotel alright.. (which was odd, because I never told anybody I was staying at a hotel) Is it customary for Delta gate agent to call a customer directly like that?

Just wondering.....
althes and krakendown like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The Amex Card would work as any regular gift/debit card and gives you the flexibility to use it anywhere Amex is accepted, as opposed to the vendor specific cards.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
Am I correct in assuming that the AmEx Reward card is the best choice? It's as good as cash, right?
Yes. Just be aware that they expire in 6 months.
Spiff, SJC ORD LDR and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Yes. Just be aware that they expire in 6 months.
You've got to be kidding me.... I"m sure I can spend it all in 6 minutes, if necessary.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
You've got to be kidding me.... I"m sure I can spend it all in 6 minutes, if necessary.
The funds don't expire in 6 months. The card does. If the card has a balance, you can call and request the remaining funds be rolled over to a new card.

Having said that, I am confused how you were VDB-ed on a flight you were standby for? You don't clear standby ahead of the gate...and they don't clear standbys to give them money to take another flight...

It is not usual for a gate agent to call, but some Delta agents go above and beyond in this regard. I've had one call me to help me rebook from a delayed flight because I was DM and had an international flight...and I was at the airport, just not at the gate...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The funds don't expire in 6 months. The card does. If the card has a balance, you can call and request the remaining funds be rolled over to a new card.

Having said that, I am confused how you were VDB-ed on a flight you were standby for? You don't clear standby ahead of the gate...and they don't clear standbys to give them money to take another flight...

It is not usual for a gate agent to call, but some Delta agents go above and beyond in this regard. I've had one call me to help me rebook from a delayed flight because I was DM and had an international flight...and I was at the airport, just not at the gate...
This isnt a usual AMEX GC. They do expire funds, unlike one you purchase at a store.

Standby also means standing by for a seat assignment. It doesnt just mean standing by to get confirmed on plane.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:52 pm

Congrats! Always take the AMEX card. It will be couriered to you within a few days if it is $500 or more. Otherwise it will be snail mailed. I simply take the AMEX card and immediately apply it online to my cell phone or utility bill. It can be messy using it at restaurants or gas stations when the amount is unknown as they hold funds. The DL agent calling me would be creepy but that is me. Someone else might consider it a kind gesture.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

it was a crazy day.... so many weather cancellations. I was on standby, but it cleared several hours earlier.(reservation status went to "Confirmed) When I got back to the airport, I went up to the gate agent just to make sure that I was definitely leaving on the flight....that was when I was asked about volunteering. I said yes, but she wasn't sure yet. About 10 minutes later, she asked around the gate area and upped the offer to $800. She needed me and one more volunteer. She showed me that she was able to rebook me on the next flight an hour and half later.

I walked over to my new flight three gates away. The crazy thing was that the gate agent there was half way into an announcement asking for volunteers. (also offering $800 gift cards) If I had had the time, I would have easily volunteered again.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This isnt a usual AMEX GC. They do expire funds, unlike one you purchase at a store.
The terms that came with my last one earlier this year said the funds don't expire and could be rolled to a new card. YMMV.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:56 pm

The terms that came with my last one earlier this year said the funds don't expire and could be rolled to a new card. YMMV.
Why on earth would anyone take the risk? Apply all of it immediately to a recurring bill like your cellphone or utility, smile and forget about it.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

Why on earth would anyone take the risk? Apply all of it immediately to a recurring bill like your cellphone or utility, smile and forget about it.
Or Amazon gift card balance.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you don't have any online spend with businesses which take cards, the Amex card is a no brainer. It is for those purposes, cash. You can spend it anywhere including Best Buy. But you can't use Best Buy at Amazon.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I was on a DL flight that was delayed for mechanical reasons, then switched to a different aircraft, and finally cancelled.

We were provided overnight accommodations by DL. Not long after I checked into my hotel, a CS agent called me to make sure I was happy with the room (I was) and to tell me I’d be getting a $100 check in the mail to cover incidental expenses. It arrived within a week.

Great customer service, in my opinion.
Pittie Pup and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

I have decided to donate all $800 to the local cat shelter.(cat-only, no dogs or other animals) The way I figured, the $800 is free money, like winning the slots. Might as well do some good for the cats... (sad to say, my town's only cat shelter is not a no-kill shelter and they did manage to cut down kill rates from 4500/year to 2500 last year, but still)
DiverDave, SeaHawg, ebuck and 16 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:08 pm

I can't remember the site, but there's one out there that lets you pay your rent/mortgage with a credit card. I used it for awhile because I was making more off the CC perks than I was paying in fees. Unfortunately I had to replace the CC for some reason and never set it all back up with the new card. Anyway, it's just an option if you don't want to throw it away on electronic toys and misc stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.