Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Miles when you book through AMEX travel portal?

Miles when you book through AMEX travel portal?

Old Aug 9, 19, 1:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: AA, UA, DL, QF
Posts: 25
Miles when you book through AMEX travel portal?

Do you get 2x Delta Sky miles when you book airfare through the AMEX travel portal using a Delta AMEX card? I will not be booking a Delta or Sky Team alliance carrier....the AMEX website states 2 x points, but do those transfer as Delta Sky Miles or is it another program?


"2X Points on Travel

You can get double Membership Rewards® points on every dollar of eligible travel purchases when you use your Card to book your trip through AmexTravel.com."
e90dude1 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:45 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,133
Originally Posted by e90dude1 View Post
Do you get 2x Delta Sky miles when you book airfare through the AMEX travel portal using a Delta AMEX card? I will not be booking a Delta or Sky Team alliance carrier....the AMEX website states 2 x points, but do those transfer as Delta Sky Miles or is it another program?


"2X Points on Travel

You can get double Membership Rewards® points on every dollar of eligible travel purchases when you use your Card to book your trip through AmexTravel.com."
DL miles are not the same as MR points, which is an AmEx program. MR points can be converted into DL miles, but it's a bad exchange rate as MR points are more valuable.

AFAIK you would need to pay with an AmEx card that earns MR (such as the regular Plat charge card) to get the double (or, in fact, any) MR points on your purchase. Also, AFAIK no DL AmEx card earns MR.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:45 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL
Posts: 327
No, your card needs to be part of AMEX Membership Rewards, and those points != Delta earnings.
dlflyer00 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
The best situation is to pay with an AMEX Platinum card and get 5 MR points per dollar spent,
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:37 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,133
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The best situation is to pay with an AMEX Platinum card and get 5 MR points per dollar spent,
Unless you're trying to get the MQD waiver or earn MQMs from a DL AmEx card. Spend on a DL credit card can really matter if you're trying to hit a threshold.
Taz likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 10, 19 at 10:51 am Reason: typo
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The best situation is to pay with an AMEX Platinum card and get 5 MR points per dollar spent,
Does this need to be online/through the portal?

What's the next best way to get points using Amex Plat for airline tickets?
(Or comparison, if relevant, to using Citi AAdvantage card, for AA or *not* AA tickets?)

Vaguely new to this part of it (earning points), as our big stashes had been from business travel, which at that time had to be booked through corp travel, but at least could use own charge card and get reimbursed.

Most experience thus far has been *using* awards for some very nice travel indeed

Thanks.

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:50 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
Does this need to be online/through the portal?

What's the next best way to get points using Amex Plat for airline tickets?
(Or comparison, if relevant, to using Citi AAdvantage card, for AA or *not* AA tickets?)

Vaguely new to this part of it (earning points), as our big stashes had been from business travel, which at that time had to be booked through corp travel, but at least could use own charge card and get reimbursed.

Most experience thus far has been *using* awards for some very nice travel indeed

Thanks.

GC
The AMEX Platinum card (not the DL branded card) gives you 5 MR points for Airline tickets charged to the card on any airline, not just DL. You don't have to use AMEX's Travel site. You can only transfer MR to MQD's (or equivalent) on DL but you can also credit the MR points against your AMEX bill which would give you a 5% discount on the tickets.
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The AMEX Platinum card (not the DL branded card) gives you 5 MR points for Airline tickets charged to the card on any airline, not just DL. You don't have to use AMEX's Travel site. You can only transfer MR to MQD's (or equivalent) on DL but you can also credit the MR points against your AMEX bill which would give you a 5% discount on the tickets.
I wasn't sure about charging airfare on Amex (and "what it gets us") as we've been accumulating AA points, which we use much more. Still have a great stash of Amex MR points from spend.

However, we do transfer those MR points to other airlines (thus far, via Aeroplan, e.g., for Lufthansa).

And I understand using the MR points as credit to bill, but that hasn't seemed like a good use of points to us.
But I don't understand that 5% discount...

Thanks!

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
You get 5 MR points per $ spent on a ticket. The minimum value or an MR point is $.01 if used as a credit to the AMEX bill. 5 MR points is $.05 per $1.00 or 5% of the $ spent.

It is equivalent to a 5% back cash card.
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:45 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,133
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The AMEX Platinum card (not the DL branded card) gives you 5 MR points for Airline tickets charged to the card on any airline, not just DL. You don't have to use AMEX's Travel site. You can only transfer MR to MQD's (or equivalent) on DL but you can also credit the MR points against your AMEX bill which would give you a 5% discount on the tickets.
This is an argument for charging DL tickets to a regular Plat/Centurion charge card versus a DL AmEx card unless you need the spend for a MQM or MQD waiver threshold. Five MR points >>>>>>> two DL RDMs.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
And it's for ticket purchase on any airline, not just DL.
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:51 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: So Fla & NYC
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 23,398
Using the Amex portal for anything but a simple round trip is problematic since it does not show all the possible options. So when you go on there to book in order get the 5x points, you really should already know exactly what you are wanting to book. If it does not come up exactly as you want it, you will need to figure out a way to tease it out, usually by changing some parameters one by one.

Since most of my trips are complicated three and four stop itineraries, if it does not show me the flights that I have already selected, I don't bother wasting time fooling around too much and just go over and book directly with the airline.
SuperG1955 likes this.
monitor is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:48 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
You don't have to book through the AMEX Travel portal . You just have to charge it to the AMEX Platinum/Centurion card.

I've booked directly with DL, AM, KL, IB, and AZ and always gotten the 5X MR points.

One caveat - I don't know what happens when you book it through an OTA since I've never done that,
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:02 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: So Fla & NYC
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
You don't have to book through the AMEX Travel portal . You just have to charge it to the AMEX Platinum/Centurion card.

I've booked directly with DL, AM, KL, IB, and AZ and always gotten the 5X MR points.

One caveat - I don't know what happens when you book it through an OTA since I've never done that,
That applies only for a personal card. Business Platinum cards require use of the Amex portal.
monitor is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:52 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Posts: 4,062
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
That applies only for a personal card. Business Platinum cards require use of the Amex portal.
Mine is personal so I obviously didn't know that. Thanks for adding the information.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
SuperG1955 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: