FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Atlanta Journal Constitution: DOT disallows Delta ban on pit bulls as service animals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1982176-atlanta-journal-constitution-dot-disallows-delta-ban-pit-bulls-service-animals.html)

Rbt001 Aug 9, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31398829)
I love that the photo you selected has the watermark of the biggest highway billboard personal injury shop on it. Certainly not hand picked for shock value. :rolleyes:

The photo I selected was in the AJC article I cited which focused on the Delta Airlines victim that was attacked by a pitt bull.

That you point out the case is being handled by the largest personal injury firm in Atlanta makes me feel better!

There wasn't any hand-picking or cherry-picking the photo.

Flaflyer Aug 9, 2019 4:25 pm

I like how different government agencies just administer their own agency's policy. No coordination between agencies.

One government agency: "Your 6 ounce bottle of spring water is a serious threat to civil aviation and is not allowed in the passenger cabin."

Another government agency: "You want to carry on an 80 pound pit bull? No Problem, nothing dangerous about that, have a nice flight."

kipper Aug 9, 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 31395499)
Breed needs to be eradicated.
Flame away. :D

Also how many pit bulls are actual fully trained service animals? Has to be a small list.

There are pit bulled trained as police dogs, pit bulls trianed to detect low blood sugar in diabetics, etc.

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 31396029)
Service Animal, ESA, or whatever- They (a pit breed) should be bonded/insured and the owner should have to sign an unlimited liability waiver before their BP is scanned.

I know this sucks for legitimate service animals, but there had to be some form of deterrent that dissuades people from bringing a known vicious breed on board an aircraft with 100+ passengers.

Agree on breeding pits out of existence- They are nothing but trouble and a huge liability concern. There is nothing a pit is capable of being/doing for their owner that a more docile breed cannot do at far less risk. Flame away indeed...

There is nothing that a pit bull does that any other do couldn't do as far as maiming or killing someone.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31397167)
I'd love to see any actual evidence people have about the "pit bull breed" (which isn't even a thing) being inherently more dangerous. As far as I can see it's just a bunch of handwringing and confirmation bias.

It is.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31398324)
IIRC you can only ask if the animal has been trained to perform a specific task, not what the task is.....and you certainly cannot ask for medical information about the human (unless of course fitness to fly or to fly without an accompanying attendant is a potential issue, but that has nothing to do with the service animal or ESA).

You can absolutely ask the task it has been trained to perform.

beachmouse Aug 9, 2019 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 31399025)

There is nothing that a pit bull does that any other do couldn't do as far as maiming or killing someone.

My one day working for the US Census in 2000 ended when I got attacked by a Pomeranian. It tried really hard, but couldn't manage to break the skin on my leg through my pants, much less venture into the maiming or killing realm. (Still it was enough that I decided the $9 or so an hour wasn't worth keeping the job)

gooselee Aug 9, 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rbt001 (Post 31398983)
The photo I selected was in the AJC article I cited which focused on the Delta Airlines victim that was attacked by a pitt bull.

That you point out the case is being handled by the largest personal injury firm in Atlanta makes me feel better!

There wasn't any hand-picking or cherry-picking the photo.

That law firm is not based in Atlanta. They are in Birmingham and are a volume-based litigation shop that makes tons of money by filing suit and then settling all kinds of minor cases, from which of course they get their cut.

I get that you just grabbed the AJC image, but I'm pretty sure the lawyers cherry picked the photos they supplied to the AJC for shock value.

Which makes sense, because this case is excellent marketing material for them and very few people will actually pay attention long enough to see the outcome of all legal proceedings.

Also feel free to address my other points about other breeds being equally capable of causing injury when not trained or treated properly.

kipper Aug 10, 2019 5:11 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 31399667)
My one day working for the US Census in 2000 ended when I got attacked by a Pomeranian. It tried really hard, but couldn't manage to break the skin on my leg through my pants, much less venture into the maiming or killing realm. (Still it was enough that I decided the $9 or so an hour wasn't worth keeping the job)

My father was attacked by a cocker spaniel and required stitches. I was attacked by a rabbit (yes, a cute, fuzzy little bunny) and required medical treatment.

Snuggs Aug 11, 2019 3:34 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31398788)
oh so you have the statistics? Let's see em.

Why? You would just deny their voracity as just part of some alleged conspiracy. My condolences.

WillBarrett_68 Aug 11, 2019 6:47 am

right, so you don't have any statistics, just a story you heard once. OK, thanks.

defrosted Aug 11, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 31403493)
right, so you don't have any statistics, just a story you heard once. OK, thanks.

Let's be honest, you really didn't think they had any did you. :D

I mean logic and unadulterated data on the internet? Not happening.

reimero Aug 11, 2019 7:46 am

Oh FT, how do I love thee...

pgrin Aug 11, 2019 10:55 am

All dogs being transported in the passenger compartment of an airplane, without regard to their stated purpose, shall be muzzled at all times,
Problem sorted.

WillBarrett_68 Aug 11, 2019 11:28 am

many service animals need to be able to grasp things, and they aint got no thumbs.

Widgets Aug 11, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pgrin (Post 31404123)
All dogs being transported in the passenger compartment of an airplane, without regard to their stated purpose, shall be muzzled at all times,
Problem sorted.

Some service animals are trained to bark to alert other people of a medical emergency. Muzzling would prevent that service.

ekozie Aug 11, 2019 11:46 am

I always thought the ban on snub nosed breeds (i.e. pitbulls) was due to the respiratory issues caused by their differently-shaped facial bone structure that is compounded by the pressurization of an aircraft cabin. Complications breathing can be dangerous to these dogs. Until I see any statistics (not anecdotes) that say these breeds are more/less/the same amount likely to attack a human unprovoked, I think we're having the wrong discussion.

Some light reading:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bulld...isks_n_1003495
https://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...ve-other-dogs/
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e5w4h

estedman Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 31400252)
My father was attacked by a cocker spaniel and required stitches. I was attacked by a rabbit (yes, a cute, fuzzy little bunny) and required medical treatment.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b123960127.jpg