Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

why am I on the number 12 on the standby list if my reservation is "confirmed"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

first... last me start by saying that I've been awake for more than 30 hours.... if my post makes no sense.. well... that's because it probably doesn't... sorry....

been stranded here in New York City after flight was cancelled. I think I'm in a hotel right now, but I have no idea what the name or room number of the hotel is, even if my life depended on it.

anyway, I got rebooked for tomorrow morning... oh wait.. I mean today, since it's already past midnight.

somehow nice Delta agent at the airport rebooked me after waiting in line for 5 and half hours. (when she was done with me, there were still over 100 people behind me in line)

I see my reservation on Delta.com and it says "confirmed"..... however my name also appear as number 12 on the standby list. I have not flown on Delta for almost 15 years, so I have no idea what that really means.

any help appreciated!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that it means that you do not have specific seat assigned on the flight. This will probably be given at the gate, but you should keep checking, re-doing OLCI.
Pittie Pup and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk and the DL Forum, Vangrovsky
Wishing you a good flight, a good seat and some well-deserved rest,
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
The standby list has everyone without an assigned seat. This includes folks with confirmed tickets but no assigned seat as well as true standbys without a confirmed ticket for the flight. I wish the list had a different name.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:43 am

They really should have an Awaiting Seat Assignment list, but that goes beyond the capabilities of Delta IT
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
after waiting in line for 5 and half hours. (when she was done with me, there were still over 100 people behind me in line)
While this won't help you now, maybe it will in the future: I would not recommend to ever stand in line at the airport to be re-booked. First step is to use the app. You can usually re-book instantly from the existing reservation within the app. Since you can do this so quickly, it also means you have to best selection of flights. If that doesn't work, call and get in queue with a callback request.
chica, Pittie Pup, tvnwz and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
While this won't help you now, maybe it will in the future: I would not recommend to ever stand in line at the airport to be re-booked. First step is to use the app. You can usually re-book instantly from the existing reservation within the app. Since you can do this so quickly, it also means you have to best selection of flights. If that doesn't work, call and get in queue with a callback request.
You can do this while standing in line and get yourself rebooked before the line moves. You've still preserved your spot just in case you do need to see an airport agent.

At some airports, there are customer service centers where you can scan your boarding pass to get rebooking options and hotel/meal vouchers if applicable.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can do this while standing in line and get yourself rebooked before the line moves. You've still preserved your spot just in case you do need to see an airport agent.

At some airports, there are customer service centers where you can scan your boarding pass to get rebooking options and hotel/meal vouchers if applicable.
That's a good suggestion. With the PM line and the app, I don't ever get in line anymore but staying in line while trying other options, especially if you have no status with Delta on a bad weather day, is a good recommendation. I've always had good luck just buying my own food and hotels and submitting to Delta for reimbursement later. Having a voucher is probably less hassle but generally on those kinds of days, I just want to get out of the airport as fast as possible.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Feel for OP, but it made me realize how spoiled “elite” status makes you.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Yes. Many are focused on upgrades as the main benefit. For me, priority customer service is really the most important benefit, and even as a GM I know I see a real difference.

To be fair, I also think that some of it is simply knowing an airline well and knowing how to work their particular system during IRROPS.
ryw, RooseveltL and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

When there is a massive meltdown, like I think happened last night, my experience is that the app is very likely to be useless. As are the kiosks. And even in one case, as are the agents in the SkyClub (we can get you a flight in 3 days...).
Often these times you can't even get through to the phone line -- "please call back later".
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or, if a regular traveler, carry standard travel interruption insurance. Typically pays out a set sum for X hours of delay, permitting one to choose one's hotel and restaurant and then deal with rebooking from the room.

Particularly useful in massive IRROPS such as occurred across the Northeast yesterday. Likely many locations where there were no rooms, voucher or cash, by the time people at the end of the line made it to an agent.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by TheHorta
This. Something similar happened to a co-worker with no status last week and it just made me realize how insulated and well taken care of high status holders are. I tried to get a confirmed seat on a standby flight a few weeks ago at HPN and the gate agent said it couldn't be done. Called the Plat line and had a nice C+ seat within three minutes of conversation. I am indeed admittedly spoiled.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
first... last me start by saying that I've been awake for more than 30 hours.... if my post makes no sense.. well... that's because it probably doesn't... sorry....

been stranded here in New York City after flight was cancelled. I think I'm in a hotel right now, but I have no idea what the name or room number of the hotel is, even if my life depended on it.

anyway, I got rebooked for tomorrow morning... oh wait.. I mean today, since it's already past midnight.

somehow nice Delta agent at the airport rebooked me after waiting in line for 5 and half hours. (when she was done with me, there were still over 100 people behind me in line)

I see my reservation on Delta.com and it says "confirmed"..... however my name also appear as number 12 on the standby list. I have not flown on Delta for almost 15 years, so I have no idea what that really means.

any help appreciated!
I've seen 20-25 on the "standby" list for seats. There were plenty of priority seats but, the GA had to assign.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
When there is a massive meltdown, like I think happened last night, my experience is that the app is very likely to be useless. As are the kiosks. And even in one case, as are the agents in the SkyClub (we can get you a flight in 3 days...).
Often these times you can't even get through to the phone line -- "please call back later".
Also if you are near any of the red Delta Assist phone banks in the terminal, those phones bypass the usual hold time queue. You'll reach an agent more quickly than simply calling in from your own phone, unless you've got good status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.