Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why no WX advisory for northeast today?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Curious as to DL's thinking on this one... lines of severe tstorms predicted and happening throughout the northeast today. Pretty much every major airport from the mid atlantic northward along the coast is a mess, yet no waivers were issued. DL has issued waivers for significantly less widespread weather events of smaller intensity recently, particularly in the JFK area.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Just got issued.....better late than never I guess

NYC hasn't been this much of a cluster... in a very long time!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's next level bad today. Cycled through LGA, then JFK, then EWR. Ended up with nothing and trip in vain.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Simply terrible.....LGA has been hell on earth today

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by rylan
Curious as to DL's thinking on this one... lines of severe tstorms predicted and happening throughout the northeast today. Pretty much every major airport from the mid atlantic northward along the coast is a mess, yet no waivers were issued. DL has issued waivers for significantly less widespread weather events of smaller intensity recently, particularly in the JFK area.
I am very curious of their thinking too... As of early yesterday (Aug 6), it was becoming clear today (Aug 7) would be rough in the Northeast for air travel. By the end of the day, I even remarked to someone that it's very unlike Delta to not have issued something.

Anyway, here are the waiver details. It's valid for tomorrow too. Likely because of a knock-on effect and/or another set of storms likely to affect air traffic going from the NYC area to/from the West.

Date of Impacted Travel: August 7-8, 2019
Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • New York, NY – Kennedy (JFK)
  • New York, NY – LaGuardia (LGA)
  • Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • Newburgh, NY (SWF)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Been watching the WX situation at BOS and surprised its not listed there... they've been on rolling ground stops since earlier this afternoon and about to get hammered again. Saw some flights take off and get diverted back to the airport after flying around for a couple hours. The northeast tracking radar map has eerie large empty areas with flights going well around the storm cell paths.
Forecast calls for more through the morning.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I am very curious of their thinking too... As of early yesterday (Aug 6), it was becoming clear today (Aug 7) would be rough in the Northeast for air travel. By the end of the day, I even remarked to someone that it's very unlike Delta to not have issued something.

Anyway, here are the waiver details. It's valid for tomorrow too. Likely because of a knock-on effect and/or another set of storms likely to affect air traffic going from the NYC area to/from the West.

Date of Impacted Travel: August 7-8, 2019
Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • New York, NY – Kennedy (JFK)
  • New York, NY – LaGuardia (LGA)
  • Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • Newburgh, NY (SWF)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Hmm, I don't really expect any issues since it will be later tomorrow, but I wonder if I should change my flights for tomorrow just because I can. Right now, I'm scheduled to fly DL888 BOS-JFK, then DL44 JFK-DUB(D1). I had to change plans last minute and come to NH for a couple days before my trip, so I booked DL888 on miles instead of paying to change to the DL154 BOS-DUB. I would assume that even though I'm self-connecting in JFK, they wouldn't have an issue changing it as if I was on one ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Hmm, I don't really expect any issues since it will be later tomorrow, but I wonder if I should change my flights for tomorrow just because I can. Right now, I'm scheduled to fly DL888 BOS-JFK, then DL44 JFK-DUB(D1). I had to change plans last minute and come to NH for a couple days before my trip, so I booked DL888 on miles instead of paying to change to the DL154 BOS-DUB. I would assume that even though I'm self-connecting in JFK, they wouldn't have an issue changing it as if I was on one ticket.
Delta is generally pretty good treating separately booked Delta tickets as one ticket. You'd almost certainly get no consideration if booked on another airline though.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Delta is generally pretty good treating separately booked Delta tickets as one ticket. You'd almost certainly get no consideration if booked on another airline though.
Yea, thats why I make sure to stick with DL for self connecting on the outbound. Getting back home I'm willing to take more risk. I think I'm going to stick with what I have, knowing that they could likely get me on DL154 should IRROPS make it tough for me get down to JFK. Main concern would be the limited seats left in D1 for that flight.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Yea, thats why I make sure to stick with DL for self connecting on the outbound. Getting back home I'm willing to take more risk. I think I'm going to stick with what I have, knowing that they could likely get me on DL154 should IRROPS make it tough for me get down to JFK. Main concern would be the limited seats left in D1 for that flight.
Sounds like a good plan. At this point, it looks like the NYC metro shouldn't have t-storms in the afternoon, but if your BOS-JFK inbound is coming from the west, it may run into ATC delays.

I'm sure the phone lines are a huge mess right now, but it would be interesting to see if they'd allow you to change JFK-DUB to BOS-DUB right now.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The storms looked rather scattered earlier this afternoon but then seemed to develop into much larger and more connected/disruptive systems. So maybe their forecasts were off. But yeah, it was pretty bad out there!
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:28 pm

I'm sure the phone lines are a huge mess right now, but it would be interesting to see if they'd allow you to change JFK-DUB to BOS-DUB right now.
Certainly part of my consideration as well. Don't really want to hang around on the phone a 10pm for a likely unnecessary change.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I have had many one ways affected by weather/IROPS and have always been able to get the other one way changed for free without any pushback.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*

The general rule of thumb for IROPs is that you can change to any airport within 200 miles of your original departure city.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DL154 BOS-DUB is showing J3 for tomorrow so it can be an option.

DL888 for Thurs is currently based on the inbound route DTW-RDU-DTW-BOS starting at 7am.
The issue is the equipment for that 7am flight is a couple hours late to depart LGA so hopefully it gets to DTW tonight.

Operations might be a little messy tomorrow due to so much equip and crews in the wrong places due to delays and cancellations.

Last edited by rylan; Aug 7, 2019 at 9:04 pm Reason: Fixed incoming flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.