Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Renderings released of changes coming to MSP G Concourse/New SkyClub space

Old Aug 6, 19, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

At this week's meeting of the Metropolitan Airports Commission in Minneapolis, the staff released renderings of the work they propose to do on the G concourse, which should make the space far less crowded and will allow for the construction of the new MSP Flagship SkyClub. Worth noting there aren't really renderings of the SkyClub, yet, but you can see how the space will be setup.

You'll also notice one image that shows they're going to expand the concourse toward the outbound roadway as well, which I'd take as an indication of what we can expect for the rest of G in the years ahead gaps filled between pods, and expansion toward the roadway. And interesting to see the sort of small size of the SkyDeck, as well as the way they're planning for future expansion. Anyway, enjoy.

All images courtesy Metropolitan Airports Commission.

Old Aug 6, 19, 3:00 pm

Having a tram run above the jetways seems a bit weird though I don't see any other possible way they could put one in. Assuming it just goes the length of G it doesn't really seem necessary (as long as the moving walkways are actually working). If G is going to be extended then it probably makes sense.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Having a tram run above the jetways seems a bit weird though I don't see any other possible way they could put one in. Assuming it just goes the length of G it doesn't really seem necessary (as long as the moving walkways are actually working). If G is going to be extended then it probably makes sense.
The tram is out of scope for the current project, but you can see that it's represented on the blueprints. I doubt we'll see a tram until they pull the trigger on extending the G concourse all the way down to the hangars.
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
The tram is out of scope for the current project, but you can see that it's represented on the blueprints. I doubt we'll see a tram until they pull the trigger on extending the G concourse all the way down to the hangars.
If they do add one at somepoint Id love for it to swing over the airport road way, continuing on the other side. (Basically forming an U)
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Interesting! They have a Skydeck planned.

That makes ATL (F), JFK, LAX (2020), AUS, and now MSP? Am I missing any?
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
I'm curious what that multipurpose room with a stage will be used for (on the lower regular passenger level)!
jrkmsp likes this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:12 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post

I believe the new LGA club, which will be coming once the new LGA terminal is built over the next few years, is also slated to have one.
Old Aug 7, 19, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post

From the AUS release: "Salt Lake International Airport will also see a new, nearly 28,000-square-foot Club in 2020 and Los Angeles International Airport will see a new Club in 2021 both of which will feature a Sky Deck and breath-taking views."
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting they're planning a skydeck in MSP... are they going to have outdoor space heaters and a deicing system for it?
AvalancheDog and bonoman like this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I'm curious what that multipurpose room with a stage will be used for (on the lower regular passenger level)!
Training?

PHL has an Airport Tours Room so this could also be similar to that.
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:43 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
Training?

Ah I guess that makes sense. I know a lot of airports that have meeting spaces, conference rooms, etc landside, but didnt realize that airports would put similar rooms airside. Though now it occurs to me that a room like that could also function as a yoga room, prayer room, etc.
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by ryw View Post

Ah I guess that makes sense. I know a lot of airports that have meeting spaces, conference rooms, etc landside, but didnt realize that airports would put similar rooms airside. Though now it occurs to me that a room like that could also function as a yoga room, prayer room, etc.
I love the idea of a yoga room. I would love a room with some very basic workout equipment, mats, etc. for long layovers. I've often wondered why there aren't mini-gyms in big airports with lots of international connections -- but putting such a room into a lounge would make much more sense because of the shower facilities.
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
Training?

Doesnt the MSP MAC meet above the current Skyclub? I would guess they would need somewhere else to meet.
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
I believe the new LGA club, which will be coming once the new LGA terminal is built over the next few years, is also slated to have one.
It wouldn't surprise me that SLC will get one with the new airport.
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Doesnt the MSP MAC meet above the current Skyclub? I would guess they would need somewhere else to meet.
They do. There's actually an airport conference center up there. But I don't think it will be moving...

Search this Thread