First time doing Comfort +

Old Aug 2, 19, 8:56 am
Original Poster

First time doing Comfort +

Did comfort plus for the first time yesterday. Other than the legroom which you can get from doing preferred exit row. I donít see what the extra $100 is for. They brought the basket around only once and I donít drink alcohol. I should have saved money and just did the exit row. Crew was fine and I had plenty of room. Was on a 757-200. Seat 19 F. Am I missing something?? I also tried Clear for the first time. Was great. Just donít know if Iíll renew past the trial period. I donít do quite enough flying to make it worth while.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Comfort+ is highly crew dependent. Some treat it like first class lite, others like normal economy with free booze.

Paying for C+ on any flight but a TCON or intercontinental doesn't make much sense vs an exit row IMO.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Comfort+ is highly crew dependent. Some treat it like first class lite, others like normal economy with free booze.

Paying for C+ on any flight but a TCON or intercontinental doesn't make much sense vs an exit row IMO.
Agreed!
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
To answer your question though ... the $100 is for the legroom. The other stuff is just fluff. If you have access to similar legroom for free through other means (i.e. if you're eligible to choose exit row seats for free), I think many people would choose those and not pay for Comfort+. I would guess the main people paying the $100 are general public/non-status passengers who don't have access to exit row seats for free.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:37 am
Original Poster

thatís what Iím thinking. Was Atlanta to Los Angeles but exit row would have been fine.
Old Aug 2, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
IMO, you're really paying for three things:

1. Extra legroom
2. Seating towards the front of the aircraft
3. Early in the boarding order, thus guaranteeing overhead bin space

Whether it's truly worth $100, that's up to the individual and his/her status with DL. Yes, an exit row seat may be the same if you can get it, but when you can't this may be the next best option,
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I pay for comfort plus when I need guaranteed space (comfort or need to work) and exit row is unavailable or undesireable.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Very good points. It was nice boarding earlier as well. I have general status. Was a nice overall experience. I fly transcon on my way back from lax to jfk in comfort + so I will see how that goes as well.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EBiafore99 View Post

1. Extra legroom
Unless youíve been snagged at the gate for yet another security check, so while you and your carry-on are being swabbed and inspected for the umpteenth time all the later boarding groups get to board before you.
Old Aug 2, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
Did comfort plus for the first time yesterday. Other than the legroom which you can get from doing preferred exit row. I donít see what the extra $100 is for. They brought the basket around only once and I donít drink alcohol. I should have saved money and just did the exit row. Crew was fine and I had plenty of room. Was on a 757-200. Seat 19 F. Am I missing something?? I also tried Clear for the first time. Was great. Just donít know if Iíll renew past the trial period. I donít do quite enough flying to make it worth while.
Something that you are missing is that not every passenger is qualified to sit in the exit row, or likes when the arm rests are fixed in place. C+ is also a bigger draw for non-elites, since those passengers have to pay for exit rows, so choosing C+ might not be that much more expensive, and also comes with boarding ahead of Sky Priority too.
Old Aug 2, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thatís a good point as well I have read on seat guru about the seats without the armrests. It would be very uncomfortable.
Old Aug 2, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Agreed and why FO is the best of the base US3 status tiers because of free access to exit row at booking
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
That’s a good point as well I have read on seat guru about the seats without the armrests. It would be very uncomfortable.
The fixed armrests are only a problem in my opinion if you have a particularly wide "bottom" (relevant measure is probably at the hip). But often the window seat only has a stub armrest against the exit, which I find rather uncomfortable for anything longer than an hour. Additionally, some exit rows don't recline -- almost always the first exit row, but sometimes the rear exit row also doesn't recline even there's no logical reason why it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by EBiafore99 View Post

1. Extra legroom

Whether it's truly worth $100, that's up to the individual and his/her status with DL. Yes, an exit row seat may be the same if you can get it, but when you can't this may be the next best option,
I do think the free alcohol should be included in your list, although obviously a YMMV situation depending on whether one drinks or not.
OP mentions s/he is a general member as well, so exit row isn't even a possibility.

As a Gold, I usually just book the exit row and will only put in an upgrade request if I can avoid the middle seat. At T-72 I can check back and see what things look like and submit the request then if there are still decent seats in C+.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: