FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   First time doing Comfort + (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1981284-first-time-doing-comfort.html)

rashodw Aug 2, 2019 8:56 am

First time doing Comfort +

Did comfort plus for the first time yesterday. Other than the legroom which you can get from doing preferred exit row. I don’t see what the extra $100 is for. They brought the basket around only once and I don’t drink alcohol. I should have saved money and just did the exit row. Crew was fine and I had plenty of room. Was on a 757-200. Seat 19 F. Am I missing something?? I also tried Clear for the first time. Was great. Just don’t know if I’ll renew past the trial period. I don’t do quite enough flying to make it worth while.

KDCAflyer Aug 2, 2019 9:07 am

Comfort+ is highly crew dependent. Some treat it like first class lite, others like normal economy with free booze.

Paying for C+ on any flight but a TCON or intercontinental doesn't make much sense vs an exit row IMO.

AANYC1981 Aug 2, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31370845)
Comfort+ is highly crew dependent. Some treat it like first class lite, others like normal economy with free booze.

Paying for C+ on any flight but a TCON or intercontinental doesn't make much sense vs an exit row IMO.

Agreed!

bgriff Aug 2, 2019 9:35 am

To answer your question though ... the $100 is for the legroom. The other stuff is just fluff. If you have access to similar legroom for free through other means (i.e. if you're eligible to choose exit row seats for free), I think many people would choose those and not pay for Comfort+. I would guess the main people paying the $100 are general public/non-status passengers who don't have access to exit row seats for free.

rashodw Aug 2, 2019 9:37 am

that’s what I’m thinking. Was Atlanta to Los Angeles but exit row would have been fine.

EBiafore99 Aug 2, 2019 10:40 am

IMO, you're really paying for three things:

1. Extra legroom
2. Seating towards the front of the aircraft
3. Early in the boarding order, thus guaranteeing overhead bin space

Whether it's truly worth $100, that's up to the individual and his/her status with DL. Yes, an exit row seat may be the same if you can get it, but when you can't this may be the next best option,

emma dog Aug 2, 2019 11:01 am

I pay for comfort plus when I need guaranteed space (comfort or need to work) and exit row is unavailable or undesireable.

rashodw Aug 2, 2019 11:02 am

Very good points. It was nice boarding earlier as well. I have general status. Was a nice overall experience. I fly transcon on my way back from lax to jfk in comfort + so I will see how that goes as well.

bon mot Aug 2, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by EBiafore99 (Post 31371250)

1. Extra legroom

Unless you’ve been snagged at the gate for yet another security check, so while you and your carry-on are being swabbed and inspected for the umpteenth time all the later boarding groups get to board before you.

Gig103 Aug 2, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rashodw (Post 31370802)
Did comfort plus for the first time yesterday. Other than the legroom which you can get from doing preferred exit row. I don’t see what the extra $100 is for. They brought the basket around only once and I don’t drink alcohol. I should have saved money and just did the exit row. Crew was fine and I had plenty of room. Was on a 757-200. Seat 19 F. Am I missing something?? I also tried Clear for the first time. Was great. Just don’t know if I’ll renew past the trial period. I don’t do quite enough flying to make it worth while.

Something that you are missing is that not every passenger is qualified to sit in the exit row, or likes when the arm rests are fixed in place. C+ is also a bigger draw for non-elites, since those passengers have to pay for exit rows, so choosing C+ might not be that much more expensive, and also comes with boarding ahead of Sky Priority too.

rashodw Aug 2, 2019 5:19 pm

That’s a good point as well I have read on seat guru about the seats without the armrests. It would be very uncomfortable.

Duke787 Aug 2, 2019 5:25 pm

Agreed and why FO is the best of the base US3 status tiers because of free access to exit row at booking

ijgordon Aug 2, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by rashodw (Post 31372717)
That’s a good point as well I have read on seat guru about the seats without the armrests. It would be very uncomfortable.

The fixed armrests are only a problem in my opinion if you have a particularly wide "bottom" (relevant measure is probably at the hip). But often the window seat only has a stub armrest against the exit, which I find rather uncomfortable for anything longer than an hour. Additionally, some exit rows don't recline -- almost always the first exit row, but sometimes the rear exit row also doesn't recline even there's no logical reason why it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by EBiafore99 (Post 31371250)

1. Extra legroom

Whether it's truly worth $100, that's up to the individual and his/her status with DL. Yes, an exit row seat may be the same if you can get it, but when you can't this may be the next best option,

I do think the free alcohol should be included in your list, although obviously a YMMV situation depending on whether one drinks or not.
OP mentions s/he is a general member as well, so exit row isn't even a possibility.

As a Gold, I usually just book the exit row and will only put in an upgrade request if I can avoid the middle seat. At T-72 I can check back and see what things look like and submit the request then if there are still decent seats in C+.