Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Interesting - I'm surprised that they'd decide to continue forging ahead with ICN-MNL. One would think that the yields would have to be higher on SIN than MNL, given the mix of traffic.
Originally Posted by ab2013
Of all of the stations that DL/NW served out of NRT, who knew that MNL would survive as a DL station though? Wouldn't have guessed it.
Well, MNL is where tons of call centers are based, and a military base, and thus it sustains year-round business traffic with high paid fares. Probably higher yields than SIN, which has much more leisure traffic than MNL (on DL metal).

I assume the military base and them being the only US carrier means that most Americans on govt business would have to fly DL...and that probably means great yields.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:35 am

What is happening to HNL-NRT?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What is happening to HNL-NRT?
Moving to HND. They got the slot from . the US government in the spring.
Duke787 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well, MNL is where tons of call centers are based, among other things, and thus it sustains year-round business traffic with high paid fares. Probably higher yields than SIN, which has much more leisure traffic than MNL (on DL metal).
HUH? SIN is a major business city, including transportation, finance, high tech, etc. It's also a very wealthy city and has lots of expats working there in high level jobs. Their economy generally does very well.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I remember reading that Singapore and South Korea's bilaterals are all used up, meaning no new airlines can enter the market unless the two governments negotiate a new deal. That might be why DL can't fly it, even if they want to keep the city in the network.

ICN-MNL is a surprise -- I would have figured maybe NGO-MNL was a larger possibility,
BenA likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? SIN is a major business city, including transportation, finance, high tech, etc. It's also a very wealthy city and has lots of expats working there in high level jobs. Their economy generally does very well.
Many large cities share these characteristics. MNL has at least 2 additional focus areas that are heavily concentrated there and both of which probably buy heavily from DL - the government because of the Fly America Act.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rylan
Its become pretty obvious that DL doesn't know how to handle the Asian market. Dumped NRT, dropped almost all other connection/intra-asia routes, and are relying on their joint venture for KE for almost everything. Also as I mentioned HND is garbage for connections and doesn't even have a DL lounge, so I don't see how DL is expecting to have sufficient O/D traffic to maintain 7 US markets to Tokyo.
That has been obvious ever since the NW merger, when DL dropped several routes ex DTW, moved the planes to ATL to service other cities, and almost killed the Japan market.

ETA: Hey, I finally hit 3000 posts! lol

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I remember reading that Singapore and South Korea's bilaterals are all used up, meaning no new airlines can enter the market unless the two governments negotiate a new deal. That might be why DL can't fly it, even if they want to keep the city in the network.

ICN-MNL is a surprise -- I would have figured maybe NGO-MNL was a larger possibility,
It is maxed out, but I would think the US-SIN and US-SK open skies agreements would allow Delta to fly it if it wanted. At least, that's the way I read the treaties, but I'm not an expert.

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would think most people would fly SQ from SEA/SFO/LAX/NYC and not deal with a connection at NRT these days.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Its become pretty obvious that DL doesn't know how to handle the Asian market. Dumped NRT, dropped almost all other connection/intra-asia routes, and are relying on their joint venture for KE for almost everything. Also as I mentioned HND is garbage for connections and doesn't even have a DL lounge, so I don't see how DL is expecting to have sufficient O/D traffic to maintain 7 US markets to Tokyo.
Without a partner in Japan, NRT is also garbage for connections as far as DL/SkyTeam metal is concerned. NRT-SIN was already doomed due to the increase in US-SIN nonstops and local competition on that route. So whether it's NRT or HND, DL is heavily reliant on O/D traffic in Japan either way. That said, I agree, 7 markets on the US does seem like a bit much.

It is a shame to see DL leave a major international market like SIN, but along with HKG, we've seen them have no desire to operate in a competitive bloodbath in the name of pride.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Realistically, DL’s been operating NRT without connections for years now - SIN and MNL are a mere shadow of the former hub traffic. The additional O&D passengers they get from flying to a more convenient airport will likely more than offset the loss of those two 767 connecting routes.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
On a personal level, I’m miffed - I have an upcoming SEA-SIN itinerary, and I’m waitlisted for GUCs on the intra-Asia segments; this means I won’t be able to use the upgrades anymore, unless I can talk DL into rebooking me onto KE in a higher fare class. Lame.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Many large cities share these characteristics. MNL has at least 2 additional focus areas that are heavily concentrated there and both of which probably buy heavily from DL - the government because of the Fly America Act.
UA/AA codeshare to MNL. Fly America Act considers codeshares to be the same as if operated by the marketing airline.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think it has much more to do with the fact that SIN is much better served from the US mainland so XXX-ICN-SIN is not going to be as competitive.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
As I posted on A.net, air travel between the Philippines and South Korea is booming, so DL launching ICN-MNL is very exciting. KE currently flies to MNL twice daily, and a third departure would be beneficial for connections. I can see DL keeping the existing NRT schedule (departing MNL in the morning, while returning late afternoon), which would help fill gaps in KE's current schedule as they don't serve either time slot. (In addition, DL doesn't codeshare on KE's Philippines flights, even if it may be part of the KE/DL JV.)

It also helps that there's open skies between the Philippines and South Korea (save for MNL), as opposed to Singapore, making it easier for DL to move its flight to ICN if needed without needing a new slot to fly out of MNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.