Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:26 am

I remember chatting with some FA's a month ago who mentioned that NRT-SIN is the most requested route to work on
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Wellllllll, this isn't good. I just booked a flight the other day for 9/24...
Same - we fly back from Singapore on DL on 9/24.....
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Do not let DL force you onto a ...... mainland China connection. It's either ICN or rebook on another airline.
jib71, IndyHoosier and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eneq
The problem is DL has to compete in SIN with both UA and SQ who both offer multiple nonstops from the US. I'm just surprised they haven't tried a SEA-SIN route yet, but maybe the failure of HKG scared them off.
I think there are (at least) 2 reasons DL hasn't started SEA/SIN.

First, the SeaTac customs is over double capacity right now and until the new facility is opened I think they are hesitant to add more flights.
Second, the yields for what would be the second longest DL flight, are unlikely to be good.
SFO/SIN can already be had for under $800 round trip leaving in less than a week, and under $5k for Business class on the UA non stop. Adding 250 seats is not going to improve yields. There is just too much capacity going to SIN, and WAY too much capacity going TPAC.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WWads
Do not let DL force you onto a ...... mainland China connection. It's either ICN or rebook on another airline.
Don't plan on it. Want to take my inbound route back in reverse (SIN-ICN-DTW-ATL).

I actually called in earlier and they told me that I need to wait until the schedule change officially posts to re-book w/ no fees. Plan to be on the lookout Saturday for options.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Hah! Nice. Wonder if we're "seated" next to each other.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Considering the robust, long-running NRT hub Delta inherited from NW (it was only 15 or 20 years ago that NRT was bristling with NW 747s) it really is the end of an era. Although the writing has been on the wall here for awhile, as a changing-of-the-guard moment this rivals Pan Am giving up the IGN.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Wow. That's sad - the end of an era. Remember the days when DL operated 2 SkyClubs at NRT? DL/NW ran a really impressive and large operation at NRT.

Of all of the stations that DL/NW served out of NRT, who knew that MNL would survive as a DL station though? Wouldn't have guessed it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Of course this is 2 days after I find out I'm going to a conference in Singapore in October
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I know that there is too much capacity over the Pacific, and I know that yields are low, etc., etc., etc., but the abandonment of these Asian destinations on Delta metal just strikes me as sad and perhaps stupid. They are putting too many eggs in the Korean Air basket IMO.
moondog, MSPeconomist, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kop84
I think there are (at least) 2 reasons DL hasn't started SEA/SIN.

First, the SeaTac customs is over double capacity right now and until the new facility is opened I think they are hesitant to add more flights.
Second, the yields for what would be the second longest DL flight, are unlikely to be good.
SFO/SIN can already be had for under $800 round trip leaving in less than a week, and under $5k for Business class on the UA non stop. Adding 250 seats is not going to improve yields. There is just too much capacity going to SIN, and WAY too much capacity going TPAC.
Those two are reasons #2 and #3 , but reason #1 is that SQ just started flying SEA-SIN. Adding a second flight into the market under those conditions would be an absolute bloodbath, and DL hasn't seemed interested in fighting those sorts of head to head pride battles lately.
moondog, Ex-SIN, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the HNL flight move to HND or will it just go away? As a former frequent flier on the SFO-NRT-BKK routing on NW in the very early 2000s Im sad to see the demise of NRT for both DL and UA. Anyhow times change and US airlines giving up their overseas hubs is a sign of the times. I still miss the upper deck WBC seats on the 747-200. A great way to fly!
worldwidedreamer and HohoGAP like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by discoseal
I remember chatting with some FA's a month ago who mentioned that NRT-SIN is the most requested route to work on
At one time, SIN was part of a long trip for MSP based purser and "chaser" FA, with the rest of the NRT-SIN and vv being Asia based. IIRC this was back in the days of PMNW and the Asian FAs.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its become pretty obvious that DL doesn't know how to handle the Asian market. Dumped NRT, dropped almost all other connection/intra-asia routes, and are relying on their joint venture for KE for almost everything. Also as I mentioned HND is garbage for connections and doesn't even have a DL lounge, so I don't see how DL is expecting to have sufficient O/D traffic to maintain 7 US markets to Tokyo.
PeggyJM, MSPeconomist, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Interesting - I'm surprised that they'd decide to continue forging ahead with ICN-MNL. One would think that the yields would have to be higher on SIN than MNL, given the mix of traffic.
Originally Posted by ab2013
Of all of the stations that DL/NW served out of NRT, who knew that MNL would survive as a DL station though? Wouldn't have guessed it.
Well, MNL is where tons of call centers are based, among other things, and thus it sustains year-round business traffic with high paid fares. Probably higher yields than SIN, which has much more leisure traffic than MNL (on DL metal).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.