Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
HND-SEA is still a short eight hour run

I live here too but I don't understand why you think switching from NRT to HND will severely impact connections since there were few ST flights from NRT to other points in Asia. All ST airlines that fly to NRT also fly to HND.

NRT - XXX not available for HND - XXX
CI: KHH/TPE (TPE replaced by TSA, which is superior)
GA: DPS
KE: CJU/PUS
MU: NKG/PEK/XIY
VN: DAD/SGN

So, a few minor markets? PEK's the biggest one but DL would rather route you onto PDX - SEA - PEK

I think KE is a possibility down the road. If DL ever pulls out of PDX - HND, I would imagine that JL would pick up PDX - NRT. If not for parent company HNA's precarious financial situation, I would've thought that a HU PDX - PEK flight would exist by now.
I usually fly beyond NRT to an Asian destination - usually TPE, BKK or MNL. Are beyond connections going to be allowed? DL to another Skyteam carrier? The ticket would certainly end up being more expensive! The NRT-SEA flight, coming in from an Asian connecting point (xxx-NRT-SEA) is most convenient for my elderly parents.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:24 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by hikouki
I usually fly beyond NRT to an Asian destination - usually TPE, BKK or MNL. Are beyond connections going to be allowed? DL to another Skyteam carrier? The ticket would certainly end up being more expensive! The NRT-SEA flight, coming in from an Asian connecting point (xxx-NRT-SEA) is most convenient for my elderly parents.
They seem to be allowed - I have and other family members have recently flown SEA/MSP/others - HND/NRT - BKK for a reasonable price on the same ticket, DL-ticketed. The transpacific is on DL and Tokyo-Bangkok usually on ANA but occasionally I've seen TG and JL as well.

However, SEA-ICN-BKK (DL/KE) or SEA-PVG-BKK (MU) seems to (usually but not always) be a bit cheaper with shorter connections, as well as being SkyTeam all the way if that matters to you. The same is probably true for TPE or MNL, but you might get more flights on China Airlines to TPE.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
I have two upcoming trips from SIN. One is in October from SIN to NRT and the other is in December SIN to MSP (via NRT and PDX). I called the Diamond line tonight as soon as I heard this, because I wonder how Delta is going to handle these flights. I'm not as concerned about the Christmas flights because I assume that they will reroute us going through ICN. While the business cabin on Korean airlines isn't nearly as nice as Delta One, the routing is only one stop instead of two, so that is something at least. I'm more concerned about our Delta One reservations from SIN to NRT in October for a week's vacation. The person on the Diamond line knew nothing about Delta pulling out of Singapore and can't do anything until they are told officially that they are cancelling these flights. I asked whether Delta would likely "protect" us and book us on another carrier and she said that she would hope so because (in her words) that would be the "responsible and right thing to do"! But, I worry that they might either just cancel our flights or reroute us to Japan via Korea. Ugh! I then asked whether we could go ahead and change our Christmas booking via Korea now while there is still space and probably a better choice of seats and she said not until the system shows that the flight is cancelled. Has anyone else had luck in changing bookings?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PeggyJM
I have two upcoming trips from SIN. One is in October from SIN to NRT and the other is in December SIN to MSP (via NRT and PDX). I called the Diamond line tonight as soon as I heard this, because I wonder how Delta is going to handle these flights. I'm not as concerned about the Christmas flights because I assume that they will reroute us going through ICN. While the business cabin on Korean airlines isn't nearly as nice as Delta One, the routing is only one stop instead of two, so that is something at least. I'm more concerned about our Delta One reservations from SIN to NRT in October for a week's vacation. The person on the Diamond line knew nothing about Delta pulling out of Singapore and can't do anything until they are told officially that they are cancelling these flights. I asked whether Delta would likely "protect" us and book us on another carrier and she said that she would hope so because (in her words) that would be the "responsible and right thing to do"! But, I worry that they might either just cancel our flights or reroute us to Japan via Korea. Ugh! I then asked whether we could go ahead and change our Christmas booking via Korea now while there is still space and probably a better choice of seats and she said not until the system shows that the flight is cancelled. Has anyone else had luck in changing bookings?
The agent is correct that you need to wait for the changes to be finalized. The way this usually works is that Delta will go through and pick an alternative itinerary for everyone affected and rebook you automatically. Then, if you don’t like what they gave you, you can call in and as long as things are at least an hour different or involve a different operating airline (a guarantee in this situation) you can pick whatever you want within reason operated by DL’s close partners... or you can advocate for something more creative if that doesn’t work.

For the few passengers actually flying SIN-NRT, I expect you will be rebooked on NH or JL automatically rather than a connecting itinerary. That’s not a guarantee, of course, just a strong guess... but it matches what they’ve done in the past in similar situations.

Worst case, you of course will be entitled to a refund if you prefer, although it’s getting pretty close to be booking October travel...
PeggyJM likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PeggyJM
DL runs all of its schedule changes on Saturday and it should show as cancelled tomorrow in which the system should automatically re-book you on another routing. If you don’t like the new routing, you can always call and change it, or request a refund due to the change in operating carrier.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

DL runs all of its schedule changes on Saturday and it should show as cancelled tomorrow in which the system should automatically re-book you on another routing. If you don’t like the new routing, you can always call and change it, or request a refund due to the change in operating carrier.
I'm not so concerned about our Christmas tickets because I'm sure they'll reroute us via ICN and probably ICN to MSP. I'm more concerned about the October trip to Japan, though. We have Z fare Delta One tickets but paid a significant amount of the tickets using "Pay with Miles". I don't remember now, though, how many miles I used. So, if we ask for a refund, will they also refund my miles? We purchased the tickets in January, so if I book now on another carrier, I'm sure I can't purchase a business fare for what we paid.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Hope they will move the club internationally. I also think they need clubs in AMS and CDG.

Will HND be officially considered a hub? I do not believe the KLM AirFrance hubs are considered DL hubs as well....
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM,Hilton diamond
Last weekend they rebooked me automatically for a September flight . I was originally scheduled SIN-NRT-SEA-LAX all in D1. My new routing is SIN -PVG on MU J class then D1 on Delta direct PVG-LAX. Other than the unknown of MU J class I cannot complain because I keep the a359 suites on a direct flight to LAX. They should re route you soon .
PeggyJM and bsagator like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Hope they will move the club internationally. I also think they need clubs in AMS and CDG.

Will HND be officially considered a hub? I do not believe the KLM AirFrance hubs are considered DL hubs as well....
Yes DL considers AMS/CDG hubs. Although AMS IMO is more of a hub than CDG for DL.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BenA
On a personal level, I’m miffed - I have an upcoming SEA-SIN itinerary, and I’m waitlisted for GUCs on the intra-Asia segments; this means I won’t be able to use the upgrades anymore, unless I can talk DL into rebooking me onto KE in a higher fare class. Lame.
I agree. My husband's upgrade has cleared from SIN to NRT and is waitlisted from NRT to PDX and PDX to MSP in December on a B fare, so not sure how Delta will handle this. His return in January is an I fare, so I assume that Delta will change his routing in Delta One to go through Seoul.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
If I were you, Peggy, for the NRT trip you seem ready to cancel-- I would accept the Delta Schedule change if you're rerouted onto SQ, JL or NH business class for flight times you like. They are all good airlines. My personal preference is strongly to SQ, though if you live in SIN maybe you already have an opinion about them!
Personally, if given the choice, based on lounge optioons, I'd do SQ on the way to Tokyo (Maybe not leaving so terribly early as the original DL one) and NH or JL on the return. SQ flies A380, A350, 777 on the route, while JL flies 777 and NH flies 787.

Then, after the trip, call Delta and request ORC (Original Routing Credit) for your flights and as a rule, I haven't had any issue getting miles credited for when I VDB off of a Delta flight, so in this case, you really are in an IDB/Delta's fault situation, so you should get your ORC.
That said, some posters here are saying you'll be routed onto DL's partners, meaning KE/MU/GA are the possibilities. I do know that GA business is said to be quite good, but all of those are NOT nonstop so I'd call DL and try to get them to give you nonstops.
Let us know what happens!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by John D
Last weekend they rebooked me automatically for a September flight . I was originally scheduled SIN-NRT-SEA-LAX all in D1. My new routing is SIN -PVG on MU J class then D1 on Delta direct PVG-LAX. Other than the unknown of MU J class I cannot complain because I keep the a359 suites on a direct flight to LAX. They should re route you soon .
SIN-PVG MU is on their new 787, with a very nice J suite product. It's a significantly better product than SIN-NRT on the 763. The only issue is if you are quite tall, as you can't sleep without your knees bent.

John D likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Anyone know how this is affecting the lovely NRT employees? Are they all just going to transfer to work at HND or are some going to have to lose their jobs?
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Anyone know how this is affecting the lovely NRT employees? Are they all just going to transfer to work at HND or are some going to have to lose their jobs?
Been wondering the same - a couple months back, I transited via NRT on the way from SEA to TPE. There was one staff assigned to pick up the D1 passengers then we were met at the bus by two more. The economy passengers had their own staff herding them to where they should go. They took us to the lounge which seemed well-staffed. I wonder if their jobs are going to be made redundant since there is talk of just using a partner lounge at HND, and with not much onward connections to Asia to worry about.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hikouki
Been wondering the same - a couple months back, I transited via NRT on the way from SEA to TPE. There was one staff assigned to pick up the D1 passengers then we were met at the bus by two more. The economy passengers had their own staff herding them to where they should go. They took us to the lounge which seemed well-staffed. I wonder if their jobs are going to be made redundant since there is talk of just using a partner lounge at HND, and with not much onward connections to Asia to worry about.
Only thing I could see is a Japan domestic only partner using that airlines lounge. Even that is a stretch, but it's not unheard of for non-alliance partners to team up in very limited circumstances. Otherwise it'll just be a contract lounge. DL hasn't seemed interested in non-US lounges. This leaves SCL as only left, and I bet it's time is running out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.