FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1981092-delta-exiting-nrt-ending-nrt-sin-moving-mnl-flight-icn.html)

flyerCO Aug 1, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar (Post 31367555)
As I posted on A.net, air travel between the Philippines and South Korea is booming, so DL launching ICN-MNL is very exciting. KE currently flies to MNL twice daily, and a third departure would be beneficial for connections. I can see DL keeping the existing NRT schedule (departing MNL in the morning, while returning late afternoon), which would help fill gaps in KE's current schedule as they don't serve either time slot. (In addition, DL doesn't codeshare on KE's Philippines flights, even if it may be part of the KE/DL JV.)

It also helps that there's open skies between the Philippines and South Korea (save for MNL), as opposed to Singapore, making it easier for DL to move its flight to ICN if needed without needing a new slot to fly out of MNL.

Most cases it's an open skies between the carriers country and destination that matter. Ie NW/DL flew AMS-BOM for many years. It was because KL couldn't fly it under EU/INDIA treaty, but NW/DL could as it fell under US/INDIA instead.

Akiestar Aug 1, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31367715)
Most cases it's an open skies between the carriers country and destination that matter. Ie NW/DL flew AMS-BOM for many years. It was because KL couldn't fly it under EU/INDIA treaty, but NW/DL could as it fell under US/INDIA instead.

There's no open skies between the U.S. and the Philippines, but the US-PH bilateral definitely has provisions for fifth-freedom flights.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31366755)
Do not let DL force you onto a ...... mainland China connection. It's either ICN or rebook on another airline.

What's wrong with a China connection?

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach (Post 31366970)
I know that there is too much capacity over the Pacific, and I know that yields are low, etc., etc., etc., but the abandonment of these Asian destinations on Delta metal just strikes me as sad and perhaps stupid. They are putting too many eggs in the Korean Air basket IMO.

I share your view. I think it's kind of sad when a major carrier like DL isn't flying to cities like HKG and SIN.

Repooc17 Aug 1, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31366385)

They're making money, it just makes more sense to consolidate ops at HND, and the SIN flight obviously can't stand alone.

Now hopefully DL will build a proper SkyClub at HND...

Are you sure? If the route is making money, DL would have petitioned for the HND-SIN route once the move takes place.

Other than loyal DL flyers, I can't think of any large demographic flying this route, whether locals or ex-US.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 31367012)
Its become pretty obvious that DL doesn't know how to handle the Asian market. Dumped NRT, dropped almost all other connection/intra-asia routes, and are relying on their joint venture for KE for almost everything. Also as I mentioned HND is garbage for connections and doesn't even have a DL lounge, so I don't see how DL is expecting to have sufficient O/D traffic to maintain 7 US markets to Tokyo.

Obviously I'm not an expert on this, but it was reported in the news that DL's motivation for going to HND was its proximity to Tokyo.

downinit Aug 1, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31367116)
Well, MNL is where tons of call centers are based, and a military base, and thus it sustains year-round business traffic with high paid fares. Probably higher yields than SIN, which has much more leisure traffic than MNL (on DL metal).

I assume the military base and them being the only US carrier means that most Americans on govt business would have to fly DL...and that probably means great yields.

PI's # 1 export is people, many if not most of whom return to PI on a very regular basis. While most Filipinos I know seem to exclusively fly PAL, I am sure DL can fill quite a few seats with those who are not married to PAL. And coming from the USA, many PI expats have fairly high paying jobs (nursing and MD), so they can afford premium fares. I have yet to find a place anywhere on earth (or a city in the USA) that does not have a community of Filipino expats. DL just needs to make sure that those 2 checked bags can be boxes :D.

mot29 Aug 1, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013 (Post 31366875)
Wow. That's sad - the end of an era. Remember the days when DL operated 2 SkyClubs at NRT? DL/NW ran a really impressive and large operation at NRT.

Weren't there 3 WorldClubs in the NW days, one each in the satellites and one on the connector?

kop84 Aug 1, 2019 1:20 pm

Between HND being partly opened to US carriers, the proliferation of Asian carriers flying to the US, longer range aircraft, no Japanese partner, the population of Japan is also upside down with more old people than young people all were straws that broke NRT's back for DL.
DL might one day return to SIN and some of the other markets it's left, but just look at TPAC fares. This is still summer travel and tickets can be had to Asia for less than $800 from all over the US to a ton of Asian cities with less than 7 days advanced purchase. If there is any margin to be made it's razor thin and DL can likely deploy the wide-body and crew on a more profitable route elsewhere.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 31367928)
Between HND being partly opened to US carriers, the proliferation of Asian carriers flying to the US, longer range aircraft, no Japanese partner, the population of Japan is also upside down with more old people than young people all were straws that broke NRT's back for DL.
DL might one day return to SIN and some of the other markets it's left, but just look at TPAC fares. This is still summer travel and tickets can be had to Asia for less than $800 from all over the US to a ton of Asian cities with less than 7 days advanced purchase. If there is any margin to be made it's razor thin and DL can likely deploy the wide-body and crew on a more profitable route elsewhere.

From the carrier's perspective, this is bad, but isn't this actually a good thing for the rest of us? Lower fares whether it's in Y or J.

KDCAflyer Aug 1, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 31367012)
Its become pretty obvious that DL doesn't know how to handle the Asian market. Dumped NRT, dropped almost all other connection/intra-asia routes, and are relying on their joint venture for KE for almost everything. Also as I mentioned HND is garbage for connections and doesn't even have a DL lounge, so I don't see how DL is expecting to have sufficient O/D traffic to maintain 7 US markets to Tokyo.

I'm beginning to think that it all really does lead back to the 787 cancellation. AA and UA both have them, and are able to make cities like HKG, SIN, and TPE work.

DL just doesn't have the right size plane for the current TPAC market situation, especially for outstations.

ab2013 Aug 1, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 31367928)

If they do return to SIN, it won’t happen for a while. It sounds like this is a station closure, which means that (unfortunately) the folks working for DL at SIN are getting laid off.

KDCAflyer Aug 1, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31367765)
Are you sure? If the route is making money, DL would have petitioned for the HND-SIN route once the move takes place.

Other than loyal DL flyers, I can't think of any large demographic flying this route, whether locals or ex-US.

Making money, but not enough to justify burning a slot, or keeping NRT open. If it was losing money, it would have been gone in the first wave of NRT cuts.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31367956)
I'm beginning to think that it all really does lead back to the 787 cancellation. AA and UA both have them, and are able to make cities like HKG, SIN, and TPE work.

DL just doesn't have the right size plane for the current TPAC market situation, especially for outstations.

Doesn't DL have A350s on order? I thought A350 is a B787 competitor?

KDCAflyer Aug 1, 2019 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31367964)
Doesn't DL have A350s on order? I thought A350 is a B787 competitor?

They are to an extent, but the 787-8 is smaller than an A350.

A Delta A350 carries 306 passengers. A United 787-8 carries 219.