Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Old Nov 18, 19, 12:40 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm currently sitting in the NRT SC on my way home from TPE. This trip was my first time transiting NRT where I wasn't super rushed to make my connection. I didn't realize how big of a presence Delta has here. It's a shame they're closing the hub. Assuming the employees don't move over to Haneda, it's going to put a lot of great employees out of work.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember when FRA was a big DL hub, it isn't anymore, technology changes, things change. I also remember LHR as a big Pan Am, then United hub.................then it wasn't anymore, I also remember Pan Am IGS services from TXL.........things change, and truth be told that all things being equal, NRT is/was just too far out for Tokyo bound pax, and longer thinner routes mean that this fifth freedom hub thing made no sense anymore.
Old Nov 18, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
I'm currently sitting in the NRT SC on my way home from TPE. This trip was my first time transiting NRT where I wasn't super rushed to make my connection. I didn't realize how big of a presence Delta has here. It's a shame they're closing the hub. Assuming the employees don't move over to Haneda, it's going to put a lot of great employees out of work.
That presence you see today is likely under half of what it was just a few years ago in terms of flights, destinations, capacity (747s everywhere) and even Skyclubs...there were two.
Old Nov 20, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Using 4 GUC for two I was booked in Delta One all the way to SIN on an outbound and wait-listed from SIN- NRT then confirmed in D1 from NRT to USA on return for travel February 2020. I booked way far out to snag these, I believe around June 2020 and also booked hotels etc after confirmation. Received a call in mid August 2019 changing my booking to Korean Air Business via ICN as well as Korean from ATL to INC not DL metal. Earlier this week spoke to the Diamond desk regarding seating and flight time issues, was told the booking was invalid and it was cancelled. Offered Delta One and KLM business via AMS on outbound and KLM economy for the return SIN-AMS and D1 from there for the 40 plus hour trips including an over 12 hour flight in KLM economy. I have tried repeatedly to understand why others including a few in this forum were able to be rebooked in D1 or equivalent although it is not clear that GUCs were involved and DL has not budged in spite of what I believe is a motivated and very responsive rep at the Diamond desk. I have gotten DL to agree to fly me in D1 to and from INC on their metal, any thoughts on how the persuade them to honor the already confirmed segment into SIN or next steps?

Last edited by HBlurb; Nov 20, 19 at 2:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
HUCA. If you were confirmed, then you should be rebooked in J. Some agents dont get this and think they .must rebook like normal.
Old Nov 20, 19, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
HUCA. If you were confirmed, then you should be rebooked in J. Some agents dont get this and think they .must rebook like normal.
I was in similar boat and tried HUCA many times. No luck. Stuck in KE Economy for SIN-ICN.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MonAmQB View Post
I was in similar boat and tried HUCA many times. No luck. Stuck in KE Economy for SIN-ICN.
This is incorrect. Contact customer service (not reservations or medallion line) and point out you were already confirmed in J to SIN and for some reason agents are not understanding they're supposed to rebook you in J. This includes putting you in J on ANA if needed.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:27 pm

This is incorrect. Contact customer service (not reservations or medallion line) and point out you were already confirmed in J to SIN and for some reason agents are not understanding they're supposed to rebook you in J. This includes putting you in J on ANA if needed.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:34 pm

Interesting that others have had the same issue. The Diamond reps seem very motivated to assist me but have indicated that the resistance is allowing my economy ticket and fare applied to a $xx,xxx.00 ticket. Obviously that’s exactly what GUCs are but wonder if the Powers that Be are targeting GUCs as a cutback opportunity. Since they have actually cancelled my prior confirmation, an interesting issue of its own since I have email confirmation of my booking on KE, I think I will let them confirm what they are offering and work on the Customer Service approach. They also are indicating that they don’t have any written documents to assist those of us effected by the SIN changes which is sort of surprising but consistent with what I was told (and others in this thread) at the time of the service change announcement.
Old Nov 20, 19, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Dont have them confirm anything. Just simply contact CS. You'll have better luck I feel if it hasn't been touched yet.
Old Nov 20, 19, 9:38 pm

Dont have them confirm anything. Just simply contact CS. You'll have better luck I feel if it hasn't been touched yet.
I made the complaint to Ed Bastian through email directly. He actually had somebody look into it, who sent me a sympathetic email reply, but I am still stuck in KE Economy for SIN-ICN.
Old Dec 17, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold; IHG Spire
I just flew the NRT-SEA today (Dec 17). I was at the lounge and asked the front staff if the lounge "was transferring over to HND." I actually meant to ask if the staff (both from the lounge at the ground staff) were relocating, too. I felt like a lot was lost in translation, and they just said, "next day after Narita, we (sic) there at Haneda!" LOL

I do wonder if the new SkyClub will be built and ready by the time they relocate?

I tried chatting further with the ladies and asked if there was "something planned" for the last day at Narita. The three ladies at the front all gasped, then looked at each other, and one asked the other, "yes, why is there nothing planned for the last flight?" One of them then said, "Maybe because we will still be in Tokyo, just at a different airport."

I also wonder what happens to the NRT-based cabin attendants. I read somewhere that they could potentially just work as ground staff? I do notice a slight difference in service from the NRT-based vs SEA-based Japanese crew. The SEA-based Japanese FAs are more chatty, but the NRT-based ones are more 'quiet' though both groups are very proactive with service.

Last flight out of Narita will supposedly be to HNL.
Old Dec 18, 19, 8:52 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by hikouki View Post
I do wonder if the new SkyClub will be built and ready by the time they relocate?.
The HND SkyClub won't be ready till summer of 2020 so there will be about at least 2-3 months where there won't be a SkyClub in Tokyo.

https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...customers-2020

Originally Posted by hikouki View Post
I also wonder what happens to the NRT-based cabin attendants. I read somewhere that they could potentially just work as ground staff? .
I believe the NRT-based FAs are being offered ground positions (airport, reservations, etc.) if they want; if not, they will unfortunately be laid off.
Old Dec 21, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Oh man, I am gonna miss NRT's never-changing Chicken Yakitori, the staple for the last 15 years... and the green fanta! I said my good bye a few weeks ago, since most of my flights booked are through ICN or PVG or HND. They are already renovating that part of the terminal, and even the cement is exposed and like they are ready to boot Delta out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: