Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Pam Am sold their operation almost 35 years ago!
That's true, and that reputation became simply a norm in Japan for a long time. It's easier for people to say that when they encounter a bad service.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Many here have referenced Pan American as having had a hub at Narita. Does anyone have a list of routes and aircraft Pan Am operated at its peak at Narita? I could not find a google article for the above.

OTOH, I found some really informative articles about Delta's history at Narita.
https://www.talkativeman.com/delta-a...l-airport-nrt/
https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/delt...im-narita-hub/
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SFOandNRT
Yes, many Japanese people called Northwest as "Northworst"
Let's not pretend this was something peculiar and nobody outside of Japan ever thought of it.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by hikouki
Many here have referenced Pan American as having had a hub at Narita. Does anyone have a list of routes and aircraft Pan Am operated at its peak at Narita? /
In the first half of the 1980s, before Pan Am sold their Pacific routes to United, they had nonstops from NRT to only HNL, SFO, LAX, and JFK on the US side, and to Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul, Osaka, Hong Kong, Manila, Taipei, Singapore (served via HKG and then later also a nonstop a few days a week), and Bangkok (via HKG the earlier days during the PA1/2 round the world service and later via TPE).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Akiestar
Also, is there an airport that just allows people through to their connecting international flight without going through security?
Many, if not, most, airports. Depending where you are coming in from. Any EU airport, if you are coming in from EU or US or I believe also Canada, then there is no security to go through.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is almost no positive value proposition I can think of that makes a China connection a good idea, unless the fare is super duper dirt cheap and your schedule is very flexible - and if you do misconnect, be prepared to get a dismissive hand wave from disinterested Chinese employees of these airlines whose perception of service is virtually non-existent, and who has no motivation or interest in helping you.
That's not necessarily always true. I vividly recall how once I got a "standby" vs seat assignment on a CA flight, connecting in via ZH (I think they somehow messed it up at checkin). At the CA lounge in PEK I asked one of the staff there to fix my boarding pass. She took it on and for - I kid you not - nearly three hours straight I could hear her yelling on the phone and calling one number after another (she must have called dozens; it was one of the stupid connections that leaves PEK at 2am, so presumably more empowered others were not readily available). In the end she finally got my original seat and an actual boarding pass to me. I was very grateful for her help (I wouldn't be surprised if after that she lost her voice for a while) and gladly wrote a full page of comments/praise for her help in the customer feedback book that she asked me to write in. Thankfully I had a 4~5 hour connection, as this on top of the always slow security at PEK took up all of it.

In short, you may have good staff who will help you, but it definitely is a major hassle connecting in China, that is better avoided if possible. Too many things in carry on pax end up having to leave at the strict security recheck. Very weak to no AC in the terminals, so you're always dripping wet, no matter summer or winter, day or night. Long lines, no announcements when flights board or are delayed, and so on.. it is just very tiresome indeed.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Very weak to no AC in the terminals, so you're always dripping wet, no matter summer or winter, day or night.
This I have to agree with...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I need to mention that my DL flight was booked with Virgin Atlantic miles to take advantage of the low 35k miles each way in Delta One (and I got a 30% bonus in transferring points from Amex MR). According to Virgin's terms & conditions, only DL operated flights can be booked with their miles.
DL will not be able to rebook your VS ticket. VS will not be able to book you on non-DL flights (or even DL flights that don't have availability). VS may be able to book you on NH, if there is availability, at the pricing that they have for NH, but that is it. Either way, you'll be getting a refund of your miles/ticket from VS. I can say with good certainty that if where you are flying to DL no longer flies in the future, a refund will be your only option on a VS issued ticket here.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
UA still has marketing executives (expats) in HKG for Greater China/Korea and TYO for the rest of Asia. (Two FA bases happen to be there too.) What does DL have left?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
UA still has marketing executives (expats) in HKG for Greater China/Korea and TYO for the rest of Asia. (Two FA bases happen to be there too.) What does DL have left?
A joint venture partner that does its own marketing throughout Asia and has WAY more than two FA bases lol and allows DL to sell flights to more than 100 Asian cities and share the profits from those tickets.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:32 pm

DL will not be able to rebook your VS ticket. VS will not be able to book you on non-DL flights (or even DL flights that don't have availability). VS may be able to book you on NH, if there is availability, at the pricing that they have for NH, but that is it. Either way, you'll be getting a refund of your miles/ticket from VS. I can say with good certainty that if where you are flying to DL no longer flies in the future, a refund will be your only option on a VS issued ticket here.
Umm OP specifically mentioned getting a really good deal on this ticket. I doubt that he wants to refund and buy new. Accepting the rebook to HND and then taking a train or shuttle to NRT seems like the best choice, despite the inconvenience.
bonoman likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Umm OP specifically mentioned getting a really good deal on this ticket. I doubt that he wants to refund and buy new. Accepting the rebook to HND and then taking a train or shuttle to NRT seems like the best choice, despite the inconvenience.
Oh to HND yes, then VS will just reticket him. Sorry, I thought the OP had it booked as xxx-NRT-SIN on DL. If he has a DL flight that DL will be no longer operating, then neither DL nor VS will be able to rebook him to use another airline. That is what I meant.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:36 pm

Oh to HND yes, then VS will just reticket him. Sorry, I thought the OP had it booked as xxx-NRT-SIN on DL. If he has a DL flight that DL will be no longer operating, then neither DL nor VS will be able to rebook him to use another airline. That is what I meant.
No. NRT-BKK was booked as a separate ticket using AS miles. Unfortunately, doing funny things like booking a VS flight operated by DL connecting on a completely separate ticket to an AS flight operated by NH, can sometimes get one into tricky situations.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
You are absolutely right. I am still hoping that DL does not change to HND before my April 8 flight, which is less than 2 weeks after UA's HND schedule, so there may be a chance. I thought that DL would announce their new schedule this weekend to keep up with UA, but unfortunately DL is keeping us (me) in suspense. If the flight into HND arrives early enough to comfortably make the NRT connection, then that is my best alternative. The other choice is to fly one day earlier to HND and then go to NRT and stay at an airport hotel where I can use points.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
You are absolutely right. I am still hoping that DL does not change to HND before my April 8 flight, which is less than 2 weeks after UA's HND schedule, so there may be a chance.
Who knows, maybe you'll get to be the on the last ever DL flight into NRT, and you can make history!!! And make your connection too!! Fingers crossed for you. I suspect we'll find out pretty soon (but I have no inside information, just a guess)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.