Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta fares went up by 50% in a week!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Delta fare went up by 50% in a week!

I am traveling end of next month and I delayed booking by a week (thinking of transferring remaining points from AMEX).
Fare went up by 50% by yesterday.

I didn't foresee that kind of increase - I was also earning points on Delta - another miscalculation - they only gave me 1300 points for traveling 4k miles! I didn't think of booking using MR points on AMEX travel - I had gone blank! Now 50% more points! Even coaches are charging as high as airplanes!

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 1, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sciconf
I am traveling end of next month and I delayed booking by a week (thinking of transferring remaining points from AMEX).
Fare went up by 50% by yesterday.

I didn't foresee that kind of increase - I was also earning points on Delta - another miscalculation - they only gave me 1300 points for traveling 4k miles! I didn't think of booking using MR points on AMEX travel - I had gone blank! Now 50% more points! Even coaches are charging as high as airplanes!
As you found out with 1300 redeemable miles (or "points") earned on a 4,000 mile flight, Delta awards redeemable miles based on how much you spend with a multiplier based on you SkyMiles Medallion status.

Fortunately for you, a 50% increase in flight cost means you will earn more points!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by TTT
As you found out with 1300 redeemable miles (or "points") earned on a 4,000 mile flight, Delta awards redeemable miles based on how much you spend with a multiplier based on you SkyMiles Medallion status.

Fortunately for you, a 50% increase in flight cost means you will earn more points!
"Such a deal..."

GC
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We don't know the route, dates, fare class, fare code, etc., but OP might have missed some advanced purchase requirement for cheaper fares, often 28 days for international and 21 days for domestic.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We don't know the route, dates, fare class, fare code, etc., but OP might have missed some advanced purchase requirement for cheaper fares, often 28 days for international and 21 days for domestic.
Actually I am traveling last Friday of next month - local within California - SJC to SAN one way!
Can you find anything lower than $120 for one way?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:03 pm

Actually I am traveling last Friday of next month - local within California - SJC to SAN one way!
Can you find anything lower than $120 for one way?
kayak quotes 67 on united, 1 stop, 98 for non-stop

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
By the time you go to SCK (not SJC) and connect, you might as well just drive to SAN...

$120 is a pretty reasonable price for the Friday of Labor Day weekend, I would say.
hi55us, dcadwell and Collierkr like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
kayak quotes 67 on united, 1 stop, 98 for non-stop
I could not get the $67 fare - it shows $400!
Tried incognito mode too
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by findark
By the time you go to SCK (not SJC) and connect, you might as well just drive to SAN...

$120 is a pretty reasonable price for the Friday of Labor Day weekend, I would say.
Agreed. And to each his own, but as an SJC-based Delta flyer, I will take one of the 12-14 Southwest nonstops when I fly to San Diego virtually every time.
cmx and findark like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:15 pm

well, you will have to be flexible with airport and stops. If you just want SJC to SAN and nonstop, the best would be 120 on alaska.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
well, you will have to be flexible with airport and stops. If you just want SJC to SAN and nonstop, the best would be 120 on alaska.
I could not reproduce your fare? How did u do it?
I am flexible.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I am flexible.
The Alaska flight for $120: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...sp:2.USD.11901
The cheapest WN (Southwest) flights are $156
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am flexible.
Alaskaair.com
-the 630a flight is 120
-the 830a flight is 170
-the afternoon and evening flights are both 200
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I love these kind of posts.
NYC Flyer and hi55us like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I show up Monday to buy a shirt at Macy’s. It was 50% off yesterday but full price today. So, it’s Macy’s fault?

Prices are a dynamic thing. In all markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.