FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Riding the Plane Train beyond Concourse F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1980608-riding-plane-train-beyond-concourse-f.html)

DLASflyer Jul 29, 2019 7:27 am

Riding the Plane Train beyond Concourse F

Has anyone ever ridden the ATL Plane Train beyond concourse F? Guessing trains go to a crossover track, stop then proceed in the other direction to concourses F-T. Announcements say "this train is going out of service" but there doesn't seem to be any sort of security sweep.

dogwiz Jul 29, 2019 8:08 am

Many have tried. Some say they're still riding the Plane Train to this day.

BobH Jul 29, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by dogwiz (Post 31354343)
Many have tried. Some say they're stilling riding the Plane Train to this day.

+ 1

Could this be the 21st century equivalent of Charlie and the MTA ???

Bob H

kop84 Jul 29, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 31354428)
+ 1

Could this be the 21st century equivalent of Charlie and the MTA ???

Bob H

With inflation he's going to need 42 cents to get off the train now...I am slightly embarrassed to say I actually did the math.

bmw745ion19s Jul 29, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31354208)
Has anyone ever ridden the ATL Plane Train beyond concourse F? Guessing trains go to a crossover track, stop then proceed in the other direction to concourses F-T. Announcements say "this train is going out of service" but there doesn't seem to be any sort of security sweep.

Yes, it goes to the twilight zone!

defrosted Jul 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31354208)

Some of the directionally challenged in another thread thought the next stop was Birmingham, but actually the next stop beyond F is Augusta.

Flaflyer Jul 29, 2019 12:46 pm

You simply don't want to try it. Next stop past F is the Group W Bench.

Trixdawabbit Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm

I don't know for sure, but I did watch a documentary on Hartsfield that covered the Plane Train. Even thought the Plane Train is automated, there's a person that monitors video feeds of each car and can override operations. Maybe they check the video feeds before it departs?

flyerCO Jul 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Sucks if instead it pulls into garage instead of continuing.

fotographer Jul 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Did it once
took me 3 days to get back from the dark hole

DLASflyer Jul 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31356472)
Sucks if instead it pulls into garage instead of continuing.

The garage is between E and F, hence my question.

ATOBTTR Jul 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Riding the plane train beyond F is one of the portal entrances to the Upside-down World. ;)

MSPeconomist Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Next step, try riding a checked luggage belt down into the basement luggage processing area of ATL, just like the little girl's cute suitcase does in that DL ad.

Don't try this at home kids.

ricktoronto Jul 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 31354534)
With inflation he's going to need 42 cents to get off the train now...I am slightly embarrassed to say I actually did the math.

Why didn't his wife drop off a nickel with his lunch on the first day she brought him lunch? Or a quarter?

Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square station
And he changed for Jamaica Plain
When he got there the conductor told him, "one more nickel"
Charlie couldn't get off of that train!

[...]

Charlie's wife goes down to the Scollay Square station
Every day at quarter past two
And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich
As the train comes rumbling through!

ATOBTTR Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31356835)
Why didn't his wife drop off a nickel with his lunch on the first day she brought him lunch? Or a quarter?

Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square station
And he changed for Jamaica Plain
When he got there the conductor told him, "one more nickel"
Charlie couldn't get off of that train!

[...]

Charlie's wife goes down to the Scollay Square station
Every day at quarter past two
And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich
As the train comes rumbling through!

I always wondered this too. Charlie must’ve been a real pain in the rear that his wife figured it was better to just go to the train station and give him food than pay to get him off the train. ;) And it’s also indicative of a govt operation - we’re going to make you keep riding and put more wear and tear on the system than we’d save by just forgoing the nickel. :p (sadly I wish I was joking but I’m really not - our awesome govt travel system flagged a $3.10 expense on my travel voucher as a “possible excessive expense” from my work trip the other week and I had to write a justification for said $3.10 expense which took more than $3.10 worth of time to write up).