Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Upgrade and Baggage Benefits with Companions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO

I am planning a trip with a few friends, and I'm trying to get feedback on the best approach to maximize the upgrade and baggage benefits for everyone. I am DM, and two companions have no status. Here's the breakdown of how I'm thinking we should buy the tickets. I will be person A, and the two non-status companions will be B and C. No tickets have been purchased yet. Assume these will be revenue tickets, not booked in basic economy, and all on DL metal.

Ticket 1: One way CHS - JFK
A buys ticket with B, C buys ticket alone
A and B get Comfort+ at booking and maybe first on upgrade, C gets no seat benefit
A and B get free bags, C gets no free bags

Ticket 2: Round trip open jaw JFK - AMS / ATH - JFK
Option 1
A buys ticket with B, C buys ticket alone and links PNR to A
Everyone gets free bags since it is International
A and B get Comfort+ at booking, C gets no seat benefit
A applies and clears a GUC on JFK - AMS to D1, B retains Comfort+ seat, C gets no seat benefit
A applies and clears GUCs for A, B, and C on ATH - JFK to D1
---Not sure if I can clear 3 GUCs on one flight, or if I can only apply to one companion on a flight; DM line agent I spoke to seemed to indicate it would be possible, but website language seems less encouraging

Option 2
A buys ticket with B, C buys ticket alone and links PNR to A
Everyone gets free bags since it is International
A and B get Comfort+ at booking, C gets no seat benefit
A applies GUCs for A and B on JFK - AMS and clear into D1, C gets no seat benefit
A applies GUCs for A and C on ATH - JFK and clears into D1, B retains Comfort+ seat
---I think this should work for applying the GUCs as C would just need to be PNR linked to A's ticket to be eligible for a GUC upgrade

Ticket 3: One way JFK - CHS
A buys ticket with C, B buys ticket alone
A and C get Comfort+ at booking and maybe first on upgrade, B gets no seat benefit
A and C get free bags, B gets no free bags

Does that sound like the optimal way to get my friends some benefit from my status? I'm interested in hearing people's feedback on the GUC portion. Any experiences clearing three GUCs on one flight? Any issues clearing a GUC for a companion not on the same ticket? Is the PNR link even necessary for the GUC to be applied to a person not on the same ticket? Any other gotchas I might be missing?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
*C will get a free bag if they check in with you and on same flights, even if separate PNR

*International only gets checked bags if main cabin, not if basic/light fare

*Departing AMS and CDG, a companion on the same PNR doesn't share your baggage allowance, so they don't get the extra per strict reading of rules

You seem to have everything else all set tho
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GUC's can only be used with one companion.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
GUC's can only be used with one companion.
They dont even need be on same PNR anymore, just same flight. You can upgrade any number on same flight as you.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They dont even need be on same PNR anymore, just same flight. You can upgrade any number on same flight as you.
They don’t need to be on be same PNR, But I haven’t seen any story of being able to upgrade more than one other person.

The T&C at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html certainly says things like “a companion”, “one companion”, and “Each person (max 2) redeeming the upgrade”.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Csn be done. Just like in past when technically wasnt allowed to upgrade on separate PNRs, but was done.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There have been reports of companions being booted from C+ seats if/when the elite clears into FC or D1. I'm not sure how common this is if there isn't a schedule or aircraft change.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Thanks for the feedback. I booked the tickets today, and was lucky enough to get B and myself cleared into D1 on both International flights. Easiest GUCs I've ever used.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Thanks for the feedback. I booked the tickets today, and was lucky enough to get B and myself cleared into D1 on both International flights. Easiest GUCs I've ever used.
Wow, congrats! It's nice to hear a story with a good ending now and then on FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.