DL profiles versus second passport

Old Jul 27, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
DL profiles versus second passport

I am running out of pages, not time, on my passport. Since we can no longer simply add pages I need to get a second passport as I do not want to lose visas like the one for China in my primary passport.

I know the DL profile only allows one passport so what will I encounter when on a particular trip I want to use the second passport? I also wonder if I will encounter DL issues even after registering the second passport with Global Entry.
Old Jul 27, 19, 11:50 am

Just present the passport you wish to use on a trip-by-trip basis. Having passport data in your profile is only a tool for convenience if youíre actually using that passport.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I am running out of pages, not time, on my passport. Since we can no longer simply add pages I need to get a second passport as I do not want to lose visas like the one for China in my primary passport.

I know the DL profile only allows one passport so what will I encounter when on a particular trip I want to use the second passport? I also wonder if I will encounter DL issues even after registering the second passport with Global Entry.
Just get a new one, unless you need the current passport while the new one is being issued. When goto travel to China, bring both old and new passport. You'll give them your new passport for your passport, and present the old simply since the Chinese visa is in it. Unlike some countries Chinese visa is still valid when traveling on a separate passport.

A 2nd visa would only be good for 2 years and cost just as much as a full length passport.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Just get a new one, unless you need the current passport while the new one is being issued. When goto travel to China, bring both old and new passport. You'll give them your new passport for your passport, and present the old simply since the Chinese visa is in it. Unlike some countries Chinese visa is still valid when traveling on a separate passport.

A 2nd visa would only be good for 2 years and cost just as much as a full length passport.
I think a second passport now lasts for 4 years and I can pay for more pages than the default 2x pages.

Yes, I know the cost is the same but I thought a new passport would then make my original passport - still good for 6 years - expired and thus would nullify my China visa. I also have Ghana and Nigeria but they are not 10 years like the China visa.
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
Just present the passport you wish to use on a trip-by-trip basis. Having passport data in your profile is only a tool for convenience if youíre actually using that passport.
Yes, but the passport in the DL profile is extremely convenient. No more having to scan my passport with the app or going to the TA or GA to verify my passport when a visa is not involved.
Old Jul 27, 19, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think a second passport now lasts for 4 years and I can pay for more pages than the default 2x pages.

Yes, I know the cost is the same but I thought a new passport would then make my original passport - still good for 6 years - expired and thus would nullify my China visa. I also have Ghana and Nigeria but they are not 10 years like the China visa.
Yes your current passport will be expired upon new one being issued. However the Chinese Visa is still valid. It's not tied to the passport its placed in. I just went through this same thing back in January. It's when I found out that the visa is still valid even though the passport isnt. (They send the old one back to you) Some countries require you move the visa from old to new one (Thailand is one). However China allows you to keep it in the old passport.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I carry 2 passports when traveling to countries
(India and China) where both visa are in the expired passport
bever been a problem
at check in states side you will to show both passports to verify your visa for the country you are planning to go too
Xeno likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

So @fotographer and @flyerCO are telling me that not only once I get to China there is no problem but also DL will let me board in OKC using a visa in an expired USA passport?
Old Jul 27, 19, 4:18 pm

As long as you have both the active passport and the expired passport (with visa) it will not be a problem. Iíve been to China 2x in the last month and had to show both passports but it was business as usual. When they renew your passport they punch 2 holes in the front, but only through the picture page. The visas are all left intact.
Old Jul 27, 19, 4:20 pm

Iím actually curious which countries allow this pricess and which donít. I also have a multi entry Brazil visa in the old passport. I wonder if I need a new visa in my new passport.
Old Jul 27, 19, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
As long as you have both the active passport and the expired passport (with visa) it will not be a problem. Iíve been to China 2x in the last month and had to show both passports but it was business as usual. When they renew your passport they punch 2 holes in the front, but only through the picture page. The visas are all left intact.
And no problem with DL at departure gate?
Old Jul 27, 19, 5:58 pm

Can you provide a link to this info. If true it would be great.
Old Jul 27, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
So @fotographer and @flyerCO are telling me that not only once I get to China there is no problem but also DL will let me board in OKC using a visa in an expired USA passport?
yes you will be able to go to China
I did it 4 years with both passports
safe travels and be wary of some of the street food
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post

Can you provide a link to this info. If true it would be great.
https://www.visahq.com/passport_order.php

Look at page count. 28 or 52
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
You are allowed to have 2 active US Passports at the same time. Your original passport is NOT expired and you can carry both with you at the same time and use both when needed, for example having a visa in one with no room left for stamps. The second passport is valid for 4 years.
If you get your second passport while you still have space in your original, you can use the original to travel places where the long term visa (China, Brazil, etc.) and the second for other travel. Obviously, once the original passport expires you can still use it for the visa(s)

Valid Reasons for a Second Passport

Personal convenience (in case you lose the primary passport) doesn't appear anywhere on the list of valid reasons to apply for a second passport. The State Department views a second passport as an exception rather than the rule and allows second passports only in very specific circumstances.

First on the list of valid reasons for a second passport is needing a visa when you also have plans to travel internationally. You apply for a visa at the consulate or embassy of the country you wish to visit. Each country has a different visa application, but all applications have one thing in common: you have to deposit your passport with the embassy while the visa is pending. So, if your visa application coincides with other international travel, you'll have a problem Ė and a valid reason for a duplicate passport.

The State Department will also issue you a second passport if the travel stamps you already have in your passport will deny you entry to other countries you wish Ė or need Ė to visit. The most common example of this is having Israel stamps in your passport and wanting to go to Iran or Syria. In order to get in, you'll need a new passport without Israel stamps.

Procedure for Getting a Second Passport

To obtain a second passport, complete the application form DS-82, the same form you use for renewal of passports by mail. Find and complete the State Department document called Statement in Support of Application for a Second Passport, available on their website. In this statement, you'll describe your specific reasons for needing a second passport (one of the two situations described above). You'll also need proof of the upcoming trip described in your application and:
  • your primary passport, if it's not with an embassy already waiting for a visa
  • a new passport photo, different from the one on your primary passport
  • a copy of your driverís license or other state-issued ID (front and back)
  • the application fee, currently $110
You can mail in the second passport application to the National Passport Center, but it's quicker to go in person to a U.S. passport agency. Call 877-487-2778 to locate one near you and make an appointment. You can also use a passport expediting company. It will cost you more money, but they will take on some of the work for you.
tvnwz likes this.

Search this Thread