Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the point of not permitting Basic Economy to be canceled?

What is the point of not permitting Basic Economy to be canceled?

Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
As many others said - keep your itin and remember the tail-winds typically arrives sooner so if you are front of aircraft should have more than enough time to transfer terminals and board before Final Call (if ontime). PHX is not traditionally an airport with delays (unless inbound aircraft is held up) so I think you have a perfect plan/go forward.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should remember that he/she is likely to miss the early boarding groups on WN. Being late to the gate can mean a middle seat in the last row.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP should remember that he/she is likely to miss the early boarding groups on WN. Being late to the gate can mean a middle seat in the last row.
And an opportunity to get home without having to drive 2 hrs.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
The OP said that the "connection" time was 1 hour which should be more than enough time to make it to the gate by T-30 for boarding. I'm sure the OP can survive an hour in a middle seat as they already purchased a BE ticket on DL. I'd take a middle seat on WN before making the god awful drive down I-75 from GNV.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I'd take a middle seat on WN before making the god awful drive down I-75 from GNV.
Hardly god awful. Other than an accident, the traffic moves. Takes less than two hours.

jsds likes this.

Last edited by sleuth; Jul 26, 2019 at 12:26 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:24 am

I see you don't fly WN much (well, I don't that much either). But in my C boarding experiences it was never the last row. Even towards the end there are usually middle seats open further up. I'm not sure about the psychology of the boarding process on WN, but I'm sure it must be written about somewhere.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
People will dispute this over and over, but I have been caught a number of times. Just did one where I had an award ticket to Paris and a paid ticket to Stockholm. Outbound dates were different. Got an email from Delta within about 3 hours of booking the paid ticket, cancelling that ticket.
+1 - As usual, there are always anecdotes from people who beat the system. That is because the system is imperfect. But, as a passenger, one cannot know whether you are "it." Thus, when booking, one ought to presume that the rules will be enforced.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sleuth

Hardly god awful. Other than an accident, the traffic moves. Takes less than two hours.

I make the drive from the Orlando area to GNV quite often and I’d say about 50% of the time, there is a serious accident on I-75 between the Turnpike and Ocala. Simply put, I’d take a middle seat for a 1 hour flight over needing to drive 2 hours to my destination.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

I make the drive from the Orlando area to GNV quite often and I’d say about 50% of the time, there is a serious accident on I-75 between the Turnpike and Ocala. Simply put, I’d take a middle seat for a 1 hour flight over needing to drive 2 hours to my destination.
Anecdotes don’t make the statement “god awful” true. So you admit you have no idea what goes on south of the turnpike on 75.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The main idea of Basic Economy is to sell a cheap, but highly restrictive ticket. They are competing with the ULCC's like Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant (but not WN).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by formeraa
The main idea of Basic Economy is to sell a cheap, but highly restrictive ticket. They are competing with the ULCC's like Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant (but not WN).
It nonetheless makes no sense to inhibit a passenger from canceling a ticket, any ticket. If one does that with a BE ticket, there is no refund and no credit. The sole reason I can think of to cancel a BE ticket is to deal with an issue such as OP's and to avoid having "impossible" bookings in the system. The solution to that is to purchase the WN ticket and that is hardly a benefit to DL.

In fact, it is generally against the passenger's interest to cancel as the flight might always be cancelled or substantially delayed, entitling the passenger to a full refund.

A simple cancellation function which brings up a clear warning that there is no refund of any kind should suffice and even eliminate the need to deal with an agent.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There shouldn't be any issues with double booking flights as long as it's not on the same exact flights with the same flight number.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
On UA you can still cancel within 24 hours and get a full refund.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by sleuth

Anecdotes don’t make the statement “god awful” true. So you admit you have no idea what goes on south of the turnpike on 75.
I too drive GNV-ORL often, and the number of wrecks between GNV and the turnpike are uncountable. Sometimes, the drive to Disney is a breeze other times, 3-4 hours. I was once stuck on the Turnpike with no ability to turn around for 3 hours, with my car off, because of a wreck. But the stretch of 75 between the Turnpike and Gainesville is pretty bad too. There's no guarantee of good traffic, no matter the time of day.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Sure, but even the ULCC's will sometimes offer a credit for cancelling your flight. Once I had a (very inexpensive) ticket on Spirit, and when I went to see about cancelling (when I couldn't make the trip work) they offered a $10 voucher. Not much, but enough of an incentive to cancel now versus just not cancelling it. It might make sense for Delta to offer something similar - maybe a $25 voucher or a freebie on their next flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.