Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the point of not permitting Basic Economy to be canceled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of not permitting Basic Economy to be canceled?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Question What is the point of not permitting Basic Economy to be canceled?

I understand why it can't be changed or refunded, but this policy seems to ensure that if plans change, I must spend more money with another airline.

Case in point...I have PHX-ATL-GNV booked (as a one way) in October to visit my daughter. Now I am going to meet her in Tampa to go to a concert with her the day I arrive. I would like to "throw away" the current booking, cancel it, and buy PHX-ATL-TPA. Well Delta won't allow that. So I bought a ticket on Southwest instead.

I am sure they have a reason for such a policy, but since they have already collected my money and I acknowledge I can't get it back or transfer it to another ticket, why would they want to prevent me from freeing up space they might be able to sell a second time...not to mention my potentially spending more money?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
If it is a 1 way PHX-ATL-GNV, why not fly PHX-ATL and just no-show ATL-GNV?
Then buy a 1 way ATL-TPA.
Thysk, Statman, DoB840 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

I am pretty sure if you call they will cancel the ticket. They just won't give you any credit for it for future flights.
Tine Rod and Quinlanty like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I would do this but then I'd be double booked on the same day...or do you mean just walk up and do it on the day of? I do have a WN flight booked ATL-TPA but with only a 1 hour connect time, so I worry about the original DL flight being late.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I am pretty sure if you call they will cancel the ticket. They just won't give you any credit for it for future flights.
Gotcha, so I can't do it online but I can do it by calling them. I will try that. Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mot29
If it is a 1 way PHX-ATL-GNV, why not fly PHX-ATL and just no-show ATL-GNV?
Then buy a 1 way ATL-TPA.
This is a great idea and would probably be cheaper than buying a PHX-TPA ticket while loosing the value of the current DL ticket. I would recommend booking a OW ATL-TPA ticket on WN and just use it when you get to ATL. Normally I would go against booking two tickets on non-partner airlines as you wouldn’t be protected in the event of IROPS, but since GNV and TPA are close enough, in the event of IROPS on your PHX-ATL, or even ATL-GNV leg, you would be able to use the IROPS rebooking tool to re-route to TPA and request a credit on your WN flight.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:21 pm

Never cancel in advance. If there is a schedule change or IROPS or a delay of 2+ hours you get your $ back.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Never cancel in advance. If there is a schedule change or IROPS or a delay of 2+ hours you get your $ back.
I get this, and have actually used this to my advantage in the past. In this case I still need to fly and I know I can't book PHX-ATL-GNV and PHX-ATL-TPA on the same day.

I think I will keep my ATL-TPA on WN and just hope I make that connection. If I miss the WN flight, I can always fly as planned to GNV and floor it in a rental down to Tampa.

Thanks to everyone for helping me think this out
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
I get this, and have actually used this to my advantage in the past. In this case I still need to fly and I know I can't book PHX-ATL-GNV and PHX-ATL-TPA on the same day.

I think I will keep my ATL-TPA on WN and just hope I make that connection. If I miss the WN flight, I can always fly as planned to GNV and floor it in a rental down to Tampa.

Thanks to everyone for helping me think this out
Southwest has no change fees.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

They also have no later flights that would get me to Tampa in time. I'd be better off going to GNV and driving if I can't make the WN flight.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
They also have no later flights that would get me to Tampa in time. I'd be better off going to GNV and driving if I can't make the WN flight.
If you've missed the Southwest TPA flight, that will likely be because your first flight is delayed. If that happens, the Delta app will let you rebook your ATL GNV —> ATL TPA.
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SamOF
If you've missed the Southwest TPA flight, that will likely be because your first flight is delayed. If that happens, the Delta app will let you rebook your ATL GNV —> ATL TPA.
This is exactly what I was trying to say in my post above. You don’t have to be worried about a delay on DL because if it does happen, you can change to TPA free on DL. I’m pretty sure DL is close to hourly on ATL-TPA so you should definitely be able to find a flight that would beat driving 2 hours. And with WN having no change fees, you could cancel your WN flight up to 10 mins prior to departure and get a credit back to use for a future flight.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or if you aren't a WN fan, buy an "Anytime" fare, which costs more but is refundable.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Does Delta actually do anything about multiple bookings on the same day? I know they theoretically could based on their CoC, but I’ve often booked contingency award flights since I could cancel for free and never had a problem.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
People will dispute this over and over, but I have been caught a number of times. Just did one where I had an award ticket to Paris and a paid ticket to Stockholm. Outbound dates were different. Got an email from Delta within about 3 hours of booking the paid ticket, cancelling that ticket.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.