JFK to Cairo/Hurghada Best MQM Route

Old Jul 24, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond Medallion, Mileage Plus Million Miles, Mileage Plus Gold
JFK to Cairo/Hurghada Best MQM Route

I'm looking for the best route to get to Cairo or Hurghada, Egypt in November to maximize MQM/MQD's, but still be somewhat affordable. We're thinking Stick with Sky Team on the long haul flight from JFK to get either to Cairo or as close as possible to Cairo. Ultimately we need to get to Hurghada where our liveaboard scuba adventure starts. We're cool flying Star Alliance the rest of the way if necessary since we're both million milers with United. We prefer Sky Team since we're Diamond's with Delta. We're also trying to minimize really long layovers.

Does anyone have a lot of experience flying this direction out of JFK who can give us some pointers?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Google Flights is probably going to be your best bet for searching for flights. Right now you can get $800 round trip in coach or $2600 in business on Sky Team airlines; one stop in each direction. Alitalia and Air France will be your best options for maximizing RDMs, MQMs, and MQDs.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...ls:1w;sd:0;t:h

OPS
buckbuck likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
If Hurghada is indeed your final destination, I would recommend flying straight there because it's a long bus ride with no rail options from Cairo with congested roads and many people going from one to the other fly anyway.

HRG isn't served by any SkyTeam carriers. As you can imagine, the most nonstops from there are from Cairo, but connecting in Cairo is a mess and combined with the recent safety concerns I would strongly not recommend it. The most convenient routing from JFK would be nonstop on DL/VS to either FRA, ZRH, or MAN, where there are nonstops you can book separately to HRG (MAN with MT U2, ZRH with *A partner WK, and FRA with a number of options including *A partner LH). However, the best way to maximize MQMs would be to fly JFK-AMS/CDG-IST and then separately book TK's daily IST-HRG flight, which still allows you to fly the final segment on *A.
buckbuck likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond Medallion, Mileage Plus Million Miles, Mileage Plus Gold
This looks interesting. Thank you for the heads up on Cairo. I've never been there and had figured I'd want to avoid it. I'll look into these options. This was the kind of creative routing I was looking for.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: