Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Availability for cash upgrade from premium economy to Delta one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K

I am wondering if I buy a ticket in premium economy from Seattle to Seoul on this new Airbus 350, is it possible to buy upgrade to Delta one with cash for someone with no status and if yes, how far in advance this can be done. Does anyone know, is this very expensive
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
You can ALWAYS re-fare to Delta1 if there is availability. Most likely in the thousands.
MSPeconomist and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I rarely fly Delta, but last time it offered me some promo price from lax to JFK, so I was wondering for long transpacific flight, if any has done something similar
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:43 pm

After you purchase your flight, you can view the seatmap and if you scroll up to the D1 cabin, it will show the price to upgrade. It could be very reasonable (I recently received an offer of $350 or so from PS to D1 on a TPAC flight which I obvious took) or very expensive (the same flight for a companion in the Y cabin was nearly $5,000!). You never know what you will get and the offers may vary from person to person.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:17 pm

I would love one of those $350 offers. Current offer on my Nov LAX-SYD flight is around $3,500 or 350K miles one way
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
After you purchase your flight, you can view the seatmap and if you scroll up to the D1 cabin, it will show the price to upgrade. It could be very reasonable (I recently received an offer of $350 or so from PS to D1 on a TPAC flight which I obvious took) or very expensive (the same flight for a companion in the Y cabin was nearly $5,000!). You never know what you will get and the offers may vary from person to person.
Me too. SEA to NRT on. 3 segment Tpac. cash was actually cheaper than using miles.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

I will report. I will have Seattle to ICN
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

One more question. Would this offer show in the app if I purchase ticket on amex travel website or only if purchased on delta
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It used to not show upgrade options if the ticket was booked by a travel agent, but they fixed that within the last year I think.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rktj
I would love one of those $350 offers. Current offer on my Nov LAX-SYD flight is around $3,500 or 350K miles one way
At least you are seeing a self consistent price USD to miles ratio of 1 cent per mile which seems to be where their value is headed.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by felicidad76
One more question. Would this offer show in the app if I purchase ticket on amex travel website or only if purchased on delta
If for some reason you are not seeing an offer online, you can call and ask what the upgrade price would be.

Also, the offer could be in the seat map, but it could also show up in your reservation, either on a desktop website or the app or both.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have flights booked in 3 weeks, DTW-ICN in premium select is one of the legs. I had upgrade offers on other legs (and accepted/paid for them. I have never had an upgrade offer for DTW-ICN but have had offers for ICN-DTW (in september). In June, DL was asking $900. Earlier this week, DL was asking $2111. I have opted not to pay that much ;-)

[I've been checking every so often in My Trips on the Delta website, once a week or so since we booked the flights...]
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I have flights booked in 3 weeks, DTW-ICN in premium select is one of the legs. I had upgrade offers on other legs (and accepted/paid for them. I have never had an upgrade offer for DTW-ICN but have had offers for ICN-DTW (in september). In June, DL was asking $900. Earlier this week, DL was asking $2111. I have opted not to pay that much ;-)

[I've been checking every so often in My Trips on the Delta website, once a week or so since we booked the flights...]
what’s your status. I’m curious if this factors in.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod

There have been no reports of this being a factor, though offers are sometimes targeted to certain customers (but I am not aware of any public knowledge about how DL decides who gets what offer).
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tine Rod

Unless there are two people on the same flight with different status levels, how would you know (as noted by many, the offers are not consistent and can go and down post purchase)? In the handful of cases I've traveled together with my spouse or son (neither have status), the pricing has always been the same (I'm a Diamond). Mostly when they are with me they are on the same PNR, but there was a case when my son was on a separate ticket (award -- I was on a revenue ticket) and we had the same offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.