Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Availability for cash upgrade from premium economy to Delta one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Availability for cash upgrade from premium economy to Delta one

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In deciding, should we look at the incremental cost (about $1800) or the total cost (about $2900)?
What is so fascinating to me about air travel and pricing of air travel is how emotional and non-logical the whole thing is. Normally I would think you should be answering that question, not asking it. But since this is air travel we’re discussing, and upgrades in particular, there is no sense trying to apply rules of logic or consistency to either the carriers’ decisions or the customers’ decisions. Sure, the carriers can use big data and apply basic principles of supply and demand, but beyond that how customers might respond to an offer on any given day is anybody’s guess.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
If you're saying "I have a better use for that $2000 later" then you're not considering the previous $1100 you already spent, so you're not committing the sunk cost fallacy.
I'm making a decision about spending $1100 vs spending $3100 in total, so how am I not considering the $1100 I've already spent?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I'm making a decision about spending $1100 vs spending $3100 in total, so how am I not considering the $1100 I've already spent?
Are you considering a possibility of spending $0 total?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Put it this way -- say the upgrade cost is $1000. Would the fact that your original ticket cost $500 or $1500 in any way impact your decision to upgrade? I have to think for most people the answer is YES. Thus the original ticket cost, and therefore the total cost, is relevant.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:22 am

I agree that many people would say YES, that's not in dispute.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Right, but that's why the price of the coach ticket is not sunk costs. Sunk costs are past costs that are not considered when contemplating future choices, which is not the case in this context for most people. This is especially not the case with current buy-up scheme in which many people buy up instantly, or immediately after purchasing their ticket (and thus during the free 24 hour cancellation window, when the original cost could be recovered).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Not I. Why in the world would a decision that I already made influence the value of an additional purchase? Either the upgrade is worth $xxx or it is not; the value of $xxx to you personally is relevant, but the money already spent is not. If you think of it that way you are not applying rational decision making theory, IMO.

If I paid $10K for a TATL, and am offered a $100 upgrade, how is that different than if I paid $1K and am offered a $100 upgrade? Maybe I fool myself and say "the first one is only a 1% upfare!" but I don't get to save "1%"-- only "$100"-- if I choose not to take it...either way.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Right, but that's why the price of the coach ticket is not sunk costs. Sunk costs are past costs that are not considered when contemplating future choices, which is not the case in this context for most people. This is especially not the case with current buy-up scheme in which many people buy up instantly, or immediately after purchasing their ticket (and thus during the free 24 hour cancellation window, when the original cost could be recovered).
Refusing to acknowledge that something is a sunk cost doesn't magically make it stop being a sunk cost.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold
ATL-ICN cash upgrade

I got an upgrade offer for ATL-ICN from main cabin to delta one for $299 yesterday, which I obviously took up.
What mileage earning am I entitiled to (i will accrue this fliht with Flying Blue)? the original economy fare class, or based on a business fare class? My boarding pass shows OY as the class.

Great thanks,
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by 853
I got an upgrade offer for ATL-ICN from main cabin to delta one for $299 yesterday, which I obviously took up.
What mileage earning am I entitiled to (i will accrue this fliht with Flying Blue)? the original economy fare class, or based on a business fare class? My boarding pass shows OY as the class.

Great thanks,
OY is an upgrade fare class on DL, generally used for certificate and mileage supported upgrades, but also known to be used for day-of-travel cash upgrades. You should earn based on the original fare class, although I'm not sure how this will interact with crediting to FB -- if they fail to recognize OY you might not get anything credited automatically, and may then need to request proper crediting after the fact.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 853

Great thanks,
Can I ask how full main/D1 were and how far in advance of flight it offered this?
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by 853

Great thanks,
Wow, that's cheap. DL must be desperate.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any cash at all that exceeds the marginal cost of a D1 F&B, amenity kit, lounge admission, etc. would be good for DL now. Longer term, DL wouldn't want customers to become accustomed to such offers and avoid purchasing D1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.