Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour group bumped from flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
A good question to ask is if they moved the group because the group arrived at the airport late. This is the height of the summer travel season (especially tourist-heavy destinations like ATH), so it could be the group did not make the cut-off.
Looks like their return flight is tomorrow, so hopefully they're not at the airport already.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
A good question to ask is if they moved the group because the group arrived at the airport late. This is the height of the summer travel season (especially tourist-heavy destinations like ATH), so it could be the group did not make the cut-off.
The flight in question was tomorrow and no one is expected to be at the airport a day early
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to provide some specific facts and the exact compensation, if any, will not be known until after the flight arrives at JFK (presuming that JFK is the final ticketed destination).

1. If "bumped" means that OP's son was involuntarily transferred to another flight, he is then entitled to EC 261/2004 IDB compensation of EUR 600. Unlike US law, the compensation is not confined to overbooked flights which wind up as oversales.
2. In addition, if the son arrives at his final ticketed destination three or more hours later than scheduled, he is due EUR 300. If four or more hours, it is EUR 600.

Compensation is payable to the passenger, e.g. the son, not the tour company, and it is payable in cash (equivalent) not funny money (unless you want to negotiate for that.

It would be good if OP would return with the following:
1. What does he mean by "bumped?" By whom? Why?
2. Is JFK the final ticketed destination?
3. If not JFK, then where and at what time will the son arrive (vs. what time he was originally scheduled to arrive).

As you can see, you can't determine the delay until the aircraft arrives.

You need answers from your son and from DL. Forget the tour company and don't let the tour company intervene for you. All it needs to do is handle the reroute.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:57 pm

Without much in the way of details, its hard to be helpful, but I would also ask questions about the tour company. It seems really odd that DL would bump such a large group to a different flight only 24 hours before departure. Perhaps this was the flight they were scheduled for all along and the tour company didn't want to take the blame for the screw up or there was a schedule change awhile ago that the tour company just now noticed. I don't know, but it all seems really odd, and I don't think that DL would make such a decision unilaterally without first consulting with the tour company since its a group booking. I would call DL and ask them to look up the history of the reservation.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Minor rant, but I don’t understand at all the glee and delight people take in demanding compensation for every inconvenience they are faced with.

It’s often the first question breathlessly out of people’s mouth ‘how much compensation can I get!’

I don’t pay the airline extra when they get me there early.
I don’t tip them or pay the fare difference when they upgrade me to F.
When there is a delay, I accept it as a part of travel. The airline wants to get me where I am going as much as I want them to. I don’t understand the instant desire to be compensated for everything.

Not trying to pick on you OP, I’m sure you stressed yourself out knowing a part of your son’s trip didn’t go as planned.
But, just a macro question.

I find it really unseemly that everyone has their pitchforks up at every misconnect / delay / diversion.
(and then of course, these people wonder what happened to the golden age of aviation...)
TerryK, moondog, Andriyko and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And.......breathe out.......
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Minor rant, but I don’t understand at all the glee and delight people take in demanding compensation for every inconvenience they are faced with.

It’s often the first question breathlessly out of people’s mouth ‘how much compensation can I get!’
Sadly, we have become a society that monetizes EVERYTHING! That, plus a prevailing sense of entitlement, demands compensation.
AceReport and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

When there is a delay, I accept it as a part of travel. The airline wants to get me where I am going as much as I want them to. I don’t understand the instant desire to be compensated for everything.

Not trying to pick on you OP, I’m sure you stressed yourself out knowing a part of your son’s trip didn’t go as planned.

I find it really unseemly that everyone has their pitchforks up at every misconnect / delay / diversion.
(and then of course, these people wonder what happened to the golden age of aviation...)
I agree with you. But, EC 261/2004 is a statutory scheme. Perhaps it ought to be revised or repealed. But, so long as it is on the books, the answer to OP's question is as asked.

I do find it odd that the the first question people ask is about compensation. If my teen kid were being shuffled around overseas, I would focus 100% on getting him home and then turn to the money.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

this can be explained by the fact that you just joined FT a couple months ago (I'm not sure how long you may have been browsing thru the site, but the subject of compensation has been at the forefront of many airline sub-forums/fora on here for many years)

Originally Posted by Often1
I do find it odd that the the first question people ask is about compensation. If my teen kid were being shuffled around overseas, I would focus 100% on getting him home and then turn to the money.
you, otoh, are one of the last people I would expect to say that, given your FT tenure
ijgordon, In2ishn, BigE and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Given there is EU law around this, a question about compensation is not at all unreasonable, especially considering this is exactly the type of behavior (potentially) the law intended to disincentivize.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

really as the airlines normally ask you to say “Thank you sir may I have another” ..... you flight times change , flights cancelled (at a point you can’t find an affordable alternative anymore) which is why there is regulation (highly needed in the US) as they have us over a barrel
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
really as the airlines normally ask you to say “Thank you sir may I have another” ..... you flight times change , flights cancelled (at a point you can’t find an affordable alternative anymore) which is why there is regulation (highly needed in the US) as they have us over a barrel
Even when there are hurricanes, snowstorms, and mechanical issues every flight should take off and land on time. I similarly don't understand why everyone seems so determined to believe that every person and every company is somehow out to screw you. As I have grown older, I find that it is in fact very rare that people or companies are trying to screw you. Yes it does happen, but more often in business-to-business transactions rather than business-to-consumer transactions. People and companies really do want to deliver, but sometimes whether due to misunderstandings, poor training, snafus that just happen from time to time, or acts of God, things do not go as planned. From there, if you communicate and treat people with respect and smile, 99% of the time you walk away with at least a satisfactory result considering the circumstances and often you walk away with a great result. If you go in with the attitude that the airline trying to screw me because there is a blizzard dumping two feet of snow, I can pretty much guarantee you will not be happy with the outcome. Attitude makes a difference.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:00 pm

How much is the change fee for European flights? Airlines can't have it both ways.
ijgordon, Buster, blitzen and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you absolutely will pay extra - change fee and possibly fare difference - if you ask them to get you there early...

they dont seem to be very forgiving if pax are not at the gate on time.. ok then - i am late - i pay, they are late - they pay.. seems fair imo...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by audio-nut
How much is the change fee for European flights? Airlines can't have it both ways.[/left]
The change fee is EUR 0 on most legacy carriers.

That is, if you choose to purchase a fully flexible fare. On the other hand, if you, like most people, wish to take advantage of the substantial discount afforded by accepting an inflexible fare, the change fee is whatever it is you agreed to.

It's a nonsensical comparison. People choose the fare basis which suits them best. So, why are the vast majority of tickets purchased under penalty fares? Because that is what consumers want and they benefit from substantial discounts in return for occasionally having to make and pay for a change.

The discussion here is not whether there ought to be compensation (and frankly until OP returns with some details we can't be sure), but why the first thing that concerns people is what they will get. Not, "gee, how do I get my kid back from ATH and what can I do to backstop DL and the tour company?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.