Search

Is this just a money grab by DL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club

Between my Amex's, Chase and Citi cards I've transferred points to numerous airlines and there's never been a charge. I went to transfer Amex MR points to DL and there was a fee to do so. My sense is that DL charges Amex for the points transfer and Amex passes on the charge to the customer.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So apparently you believe AMEX is lying when they make this statement?

"Every time you transfer points into a U.S. airline frequent flyer program, your Linked Card account will be charged an excise tax offset fee of $0.0006 per point (with maximum fee of $99). We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay when you transfer points. We may offer you the option to use points to pay this fee. You will be able to review these details before completing the transfer."
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
So apparently you believe AMEX is lying when they make this statement?

"Every time you transfer points into a U.S. airline frequent flyer program, your Linked Card account will be charged an excise tax offset fee of $0.0006 per point (with maximum fee of $99). We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay when you transfer points. We may offer you the option to use points to pay this fee. You will be able to review these details before completing the transfer."
I appreciate the info, but not sure why it needed to be with a side of snark. I asked a question, not accusing anyone - Amex or DL - of lying.

So is this unique to only Amex & DL? I've transferred Chase UR points to UA and never paid a fee, and also just did a dummy attempt to transfer them again and there was no fee associated. So this fee being called an excise tax is unique to Amex and Delta.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:59 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
It's unique to AMEX not Delta.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
I appreciate the info, but not sure why it needed to be with a side of snark. I asked a question, not accusing anyone - Amex or DL - of lying.

So is this unique to only Amex & DL? I've transferred Chase UR points to UA and never paid a fee, and also just did a dummy attempt to transfer them again and there was no fee associated. So this fee being called an excise tax is unique to Amex and Delta.
You accused DL of a money grab. This for something well spelled out what fee is for.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Thank you, appreciate the info. I've never transferred Amex points to B6 or HA, so only experienced this with DL. However, when I've transfered Amex points to Aeroplan, Virgin or Singapore there was never a fee so it caught me off guard and seemed like a money grab by DL.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You accused DL of a money grab. This for something well spelled out what fee is for.
Huh? I asked verbatim "Is this a money grab by DL?" Where is any accusation in that. It was an honest question, not an accusation.

Here is accusing Delta - "Delta rips off Amex customer by charging fee to transfer points." See the difference??
El Boocho and jdrtravel like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Huh? I asked verbatim "Is this a money grab by DL?" Where is any accusation in that. It was an honest question, not an accusation.

Here is accusing Delta - "Delta rips off Amex customer by charging fee to transfer points." See the difference??
Calling something a money grab is accusatory.
flyerCO, CPMaverick, cre95 and 8 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE

I honestly don't see a difference between the two statements other than the number of words used to convey the same sentiment.
flyerCO and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's really just a money grab by Amex. No other issuer with transferable points passes along an excise tax in this way.
Spiff, jdrtravel, apodo77 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:19 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Thank you, appreciate the info. I've never transferred Amex points to B6 or HA, so only experienced this with DL. However, when I've transfered Amex points to Aeroplan, Virgin or Singapore there was never a fee so it caught me off guard and seemed like a money grab by DL.
Was charged for a MR > HA transfer in May.
I would guess Aeroplan, SQ, VA not being US carriers/programs they aren't subject to the Federal Excise Tax.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Which of those are in the US and which aren't. Re excise duty, this backs that up
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Had no idea this was the case. I've only ever transferred points from my Amex and thought it was the norm.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by TTT
Was charged for a MR > HA transfer in May.
I would guess Aeroplan, SQ, VA not being US carriers/programs they aren't subject to the Federal Excise Tax.
I've also transferred from a Canadian Amex to Delta Skymiles and have not been charged the fee.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I just transfer AMEX points to Aeroplan, no fee charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.