Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this just a money grab by DL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sometimes the corporate bootlicking on here gets to be too much. Can everyone give the OP a break, come on it was a fair Q.
jdrtravel, Gig103, hi55us and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Calling something a money grab is accusatory.
To each their own and don’t agree. I consider all kinds of ancillary fees like this as money grabs.
Absolutely fair question by the OP and not sure why some are upset by it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:12 pm

Several years ago when I transferred the AmEx MR points to Air Canada, I was told that the exise tax applied only to US carriers. Since then I've always transferred only to non-US carriers.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77

To each their own and don’t agree. I consider all kinds of ancillary fees like this as money grabs.
Except this isnt an ancillary fee, it's a government mandated tax. One that they publish they must and thus do charge.

Some of us dont like accusing people/companies of being shady/immoral/unethical. OP implied that was the case simply cause AMEX charged a federal tax.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sometimes the corporate bootlicking on here gets to be too much. Can everyone give the OP a break, come on it was a fair Q.
It was a perfectly fine question. It was the ending statement that we've taken issue with. It had no basis in reality.
IndyHoosier and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:30 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There is a 7.5% federal excise tax when purchasing miles from a US airline. Amex is just passing the tax on, where most other programs would just pay it.

Car companies often hide this tax in if you report your US based awards program. I've regularly seen a flat charge of $0.50 even if you only get like 50 miles. That is totally a rip off. Hence, I credit those miles to my useless Virgin Atlantic account.

Incidentally, if the tax is $0.0006 per mile, then we know that AMEX buys miles at $0.008 from the airline!!

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-tax-refunded/
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Except this isnt an ancillary fee, it's a government mandated tax. One that they publish they must and thus do charge.

Some of us dont like accusing people/companies of being shady/immoral/unethical. OP implied that was the case simply cause AMEX charged a federal tax.
A gov't mandated tax that *only* AMEX charges. So the gov't only taxes AMEX and not Chase or Citi? Never been charged a penny transferring Chase UR's to UA.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

Well I'll certainly never win most popular here in the DL board, tough crowd. Though it's nice to see that there's a couple others who can read a post objectively without allowing their love for DL to influence their replies.

I meant absolutely no accusation here.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

You sure are putting a lot of words into the original posters mouth. Maybe I am not as sensitive as you and didn't take his last sentence to mean any of what you are claiming.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed, but the Corporate Apologists Brigade can't help themselves ( and it remains totally unclear to me, after years on FT, what type of questions these self appointed moderators would view as acceptable) .
apodo77 and JakeRobertson212 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed, but the Corporate Apologists Brigade can't help themselves ( and it remains totally unclear to me, after years on FT, what type of questions these self appointed moderators would view as acceptable) .
Where have any of us done as you say? If OP post was to be taken how posted all companies are money grabbers. They all charge taxes when required. I know it's quite shocking. They follow the law but are money grabbers for doing so.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Angry

Where have any of us done as you say? If OP post was to be taken how posted all companies are money grabbers. They all charge taxes when required. I know it's quite shocking. They follow the law but are money grabbers for doing so.
Again you continue to put words in my mouth. So now I've implied all companies are money grabbers?!?! You really can't help yourself can you ??

They don't all charge taxes when required. I've posted several times now that Chase doesn't charge any taxes when transferring points to UA. So how is that true?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:03 pm

The question’s been answered and now this has become a food fight. Not sure there’s anything (productive) left to add here.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Geez you guys act like the OP insulted your mothers.

Is DL REALLY that special to you?
jdrtravel and apodo77 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I believe this thread has reached a good conclusion and is now closed. Feel free to PM me if you feel otherwise.

Ryandc99, Moderator, Delta Air Lines
jdrtravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.