Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does M fare + miles trump a GUC for an upgrade to D1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM

Hello, I was able to luckily upgrade from an M fare in economy to D1 using 45,000 miles each way, MSP-ICN and coming back PEK-DTW. The first upgrade cleared three weeks before the flight and the second upgrade cleared two days before the flight. But I wonder if a GUC would have cleared before me? Does anyone know? Thank you!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jaimemayo
Hello, I was able to luckily upgrade from an M fare in economy to D1 using 45,000 miles each way, MSP-ICN and coming back PEK-DTW. The first upgrade cleared three weeks before the flight and the second upgrade cleared two days before the flight. But I wonder if a GUC would have cleared before me? Does anyone know? Thank you!

I haven't seen any definitive answers on upgrade priority for instrument supported upgrades (miles or certificates). It could be as simple as time of request, or like complimentary upgrades, it could involve factors like status and fare class. In other threads, people have reported being told by agents that GUCs have priority over milage upgrades, but this is only anecdotal and hasn't ever been proven.

A number of people here have stated that the inventory for milage upgrades and certificate upgrades are the same because they both book into OY (business) or RY (first), but I'd point out that there are other cases where Delta uses a single fare class to represent multiple underlying buckets of inventory, namely award tickets.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Certificates are supposed to have priority over mileage upgrades.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rucksack
A number of people here have stated that the inventory for milage upgrades and certificate upgrades are the same because they both book into OY (business) or RY (first), but I'd point out that there are other cases where Delta uses a single fare class to represent multiple underlying buckets of inventory, namely award tickets.
For upgrades, the inventory is the same when using an instrument to upgrade, whether miles or certificates. Theoretically, the certificate-based upgrades clear before miles in the event of a waitlist, but proving this would be almost impossible. Would a DM using miles be behind a GM using a leftover GUC from his/her DM year? I don't know. I suspect that a current-status DM using a GUC would be ahead of any mileage-upgrader.

My personal opinion is that there should be two inventory buckets: one for those using miles and one for those using upgrade certificates like RUCs or GUCs. That they are pulled from the same bucket rather than separate buckets is one of the reasons (IMO) why it is so hard to find upgrade inventory in advance. I think that those using GUCs would typically tend to book later than those using miles, so the carrier would tend to avoid allocating a lot of upgrade inventory early in the process, lest they all be snapped up by mileage upgraders 9 months out.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
For upgrades, the inventory is the same when using an instrument to upgrade, whether miles or certificates. Theoretically, the certificate-based upgrades clear before miles in the event of a waitlist, but proving this would be almost impossible. Would a DM using miles be behind a GM using a leftover GUC from his/her DM year? I don't know. I suspect that a current-status DM using a GUC would be ahead of any mileage-upgrader.

My personal opinion is that there should be two inventory buckets: one for those using miles and one for those using upgrade certificates like RUCs or GUCs. That they are pulled from the same bucket rather than separate buckets is one of the reasons (IMO) why it is so hard to find upgrade inventory in advance. I think that those using GUCs would typically tend to book later than those using miles, so the carrier would tend to avoid allocating a lot of upgrade inventory early in the process, lest they all be snapped up by mileage upgraders 9 months out.
The problem with different buckets is you end up having the miles bucket given 1 but not GUC. This has been an issue with RUC vs free medallion upgrades. One bucket negates this issue. DL states UCs have priority. Absent proof otherwise (which we'd likely have heard about on here) have to assume that's how it goes.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:08 am

Would a DM using miles be behind a GM using a leftover GUC from his/her DM year? I don't know. I suspect that a current-status DM using a GUC would be ahead of any mileage-upgrader.
Let me caveat this by saying that there are countless examples of inexplicable upgrade priority and it would be a fool's errand to try to extrapolate one-off occurrences. That said, when I applied a GUC to a ticket I bought well in advance while still a DM, I ended up at the very top of the upgrade list (which had several other names on it) despite having dropped down to PM by then. I consider the possibility that priority for GUCs might be as simple as time of request, but an earlier occurrence gave me another possibility. I flew on a domestic flight shortly after I dropped down from DM to PM and yet I was near the very top of the rather sizable complimentary upgrade list, on an award ticket no less. It made me wonder if perhaps upgrade priority is sometimes based on your status at time of request rather than time of flight. Seems unlikely, but possible, given the job/batch mentality of a lot of Delta's IT systems.

I see your point, but would be worried that this would have the opposite effect. Since miles don't expire and have value for other things (award flights, drinks in the SkyClub, etc.), Delta should much prefer someone to burn miles on an upgrade rather than use a certificate. Having different inventory for milage vs. certificate upgrades provides Delta with a mechanism to differentiate between the two and could result in upgrade inventory for GUCs becoming even more scarce. You can make the argument that Delta wants elites to be able to use GUCs to reward loyalty, but that hasn't prevented them from making other changes that aren't friendly to elites.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta DM
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but how do you pay 45k miles to get placed on the upgrade list for that flight? Flying DTW - NRT in September, D1 is wide open but just see the typical $3000/300k miles offer.

EDIT: My guess this was a MUA earlier in the year?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You call and request a mileage upgrade award; they still offer them outside of North America I believe.

But 45k each way plus a potentially large fare difference to an upgradeable fare?
(Vs., say 25k+$300 on lowest fare on AA)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You call and request a mileage upgrade award; they still offer them outside of North America I believe.

But 45k each way plus a potentially large fare difference to an upgradeable fare?
(Vs., say 25k+$300 on lowest fare on AA)
You have to be in a pretty cheap fare bucket to get excluded from mileage upgrade awards, and even then it’s really not that bad. I bumped up a $500 RT to Asia to an eligible class (K) for $150 per way.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by danielvdm
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but how do you pay 45k miles to get placed on the upgrade list for that flight? Flying DTW - NRT in September, D1 is wide open but just see the typical $3000/300k miles offer.

EDIT: My guess this was a MUA earlier in the year?
What does MUA mean?

I called DL after booking the flight and the agent put me on the waitlist. However, I called a week later and another agent told me I had been waitlisted incorrectly. My base fare was about $2700.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

What does MUA mean?
Milage Upgrade Award (Read more: Delta, The Points Guy)

What does MUA mean?
another agent told me I had been waitlisted incorrectly
This is unfortunately common with GUCs. I still don't understand why this is such a frequent issue.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlflyer00

You have to be in a pretty cheap fare bucket to get excluded from mileage upgrade awards, and even then it’s really not that bad. I bumped up a $500 RT to Asia to an eligible class (K) for $150 per way.
I suspect that's the exception more than the rule, but isn't the mileage requirement scaled by class (or class groupings) too, so if it's 45k for M class, how many miles was it for K? And if the upgrade was available at booking, maybe it's okay, but nobody in their right mind would buy up to a higher fare class just to waitlist an upgrade!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by rucksack
Milage Upgrade Award (Read more: Delta, The Points Guy)

This is unfortunately common with GUCs. I still don't understand why this is such a frequent issue.
Is there a way you can tell on dl.com whether your waitlist has been set-up incorrectly? I ask because I'm waitlisted on JFK-SFO-JFK next month using a RUC. On the outbound JFK-SFO when I open the seat map I can see all the D1 cabin seats that are available and those that are occupied. I also get a buy-up offer on that flight. However, the return SFO-JFK when I open the seat map all of D1 is greyed out and there's no buy-up offer even though when doing a dummy booking all D1 seats are still open. Is there something wrong with the waitlist on the return?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
Is there a way you can tell on dl.com whether your waitlist has been set-up incorrectly? I ask because I'm waitlisted on JFK-SFO-JFK next month using a RUC. On the outbound JFK-SFO when I open the seat map I can see all the D1 cabin seats that are available and those that are occupied. I also get a buy-up offer on that flight. However, the return SFO-JFK when I open the seat map all of D1 is greyed out and there's no buy-up offer even though when doing a dummy booking all D1 seats are still open. Is there something wrong with the waitlist on the return?
A RT JFK-SFO-JFK requires two RUCs, not one; it takes one for each direction (or fare component more technically, which matters if you have a broken fare). If only one was applied, or if you only have one in your account, this will be a problem.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
You've likely cleared on return, but ticket hasn't been reissued. Call now to get it done and you'll be able to select a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.