When does hidden city catch up to you?

Old Jul 20, 19, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
When does hidden city catch up to you?

Asking for a friend....

This friend has dropped the last leg of probably say....6-8 flights in the last 12 months...it's split a calendar year and it's been split between TATL JV partners.

Never heard a peep, but just starting to wonder if when it actually catches up?

Anyone with any actual experience?

thanks.
Old Jul 20, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
If you end up gate checking your bag youll have a problem. Iíve seen many agents catch people that way and then youíll be stuck possibly with a change fee and fare difference before theyíll reunite you with your bag.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
If you end up gate checking your bag youll have a problem. Iíve seen many agents catch people that way and then youíll be stuck possibly with a change fee and fare difference before theyíll reunite you with your bag.
It'd be theft to not release your bag. However I'm confused as it's when you check bag that you'd be paying, not at pickup.
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
It'd be theft to not release your bag. However I'm confused as it's when you check bag that you'd be paying, not at pickup.
Checked bag will go through to the connecting city and you will have to pay DL to fly it back to the hidden city.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most likely this catches up when:
1. You wind up needing to check a bag and can't get it short-checked.
2. You are required to gate check and the bag goes to your ticketed destination.
3. IRROPS rerouting is to your destination not connecting city and you wind up where you don't want to be.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I think OP is asking about when does the airline catch up with a frequent "hidden city" violator - and what they choose to do about it. I think a Google search would probably highlight experiences - not sure I've heard of recent DL experiences, but certainly European airlines have recently been cracking down as I recall.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post

Checked bag will go through to the connecting city and you will have to pay DL to fly it back to the hidden city.
I understand this. I was replying to what poster before me posted.

Also DL wont be flying the bag anywhere even for money after it arrives at final destination. They dont allow you to simply ship a bag as the bag is now cargo, not a passenger's bag. For that you must use UPS/FEDEX/USPS/etc...
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:08 pm

UA has a form letter they send out along with a payment demand to those who do chronic hidden city ticketing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/...h-collections/

I believe there have been a few of stories about AA doing it as well. Have not heard of any stories involving DL demanding payment.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I understand this. I was replying to what poster before me posted.

Also DL wont be flying the bag anywhere even for money after it arrives at final destination. They dont allow you to simply ship a bag as the bag is now cargo, not a passenger's bag. For that you must use UPS/FEDEX/USPS/etc...
The OP of this thread's "friend" is a 6-8 times/year hidden city user. As such, certainly they know not to check a bag.
noahnoahsmith likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
The OP of this thread's "friend" is a 6-8 times/year hidden city user. As such, certainly they know not to check a bag.
Where OPís friend is going to get caught is unexpectedly being forced to check a bag at the gate to the final destination when all the bins are full. Then the friend is screwed.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I get that. My post was a reply to the user's post I quoted.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The presumption that everyone who gets caught out in a fraud by an air carrier comes to FT to moan about it is misplaced. My guess is that the vast majority of people who do get bagged don't brag about it. The few who have posted here recently have been UA & AA experiences (in the US).

To me, the easiest approach is not to sue the passenger, but presuming that they have status or a significant balance in their FFP, just close it out. That may sting more than writing a check.
Old Jul 20, 19, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by remyontheroad View Post
Never heard a peep, but just starting to wonder if when it actually catches up?
It really depends on who you are.

If you fly hidden city without FFP involvement, the chance is not only DL, but most airlines won't lay a finger on you. While each airlines has massive data, it just takes too many works to sort out who's who. In many cases, it is not worth spending the resources to go after these people.

However, if you use FFP in anyway with hidden city, things will be easier for airlines, as they can trace back your flight history. Lawsuit or not, the very first thing the airlines can do is to revoke the membership and forfeit all miles/points.

Of course, people may say this may not even occur. But based on the news, airlines had sued. Airlines had revoked membership before.

Is it a risk you are willing to take? Not me for sure.

My 2 cents.
Old Jul 21, 19, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Bingo.
And also how to not get in a situation where forced to gate check.
Thanks for this! Will go read it all. .
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
UA has a form letter they send out along with a payment demand to those who do chronic hidden city ticketing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/...h-collections/

I believe there have been a few of stories about AA doing it as well. Have not heard of any stories involving DL demanding payment.
Definitely - which is why I'm asking directly... maybe someone who has will see the thread and respond though.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The presumption that everyone who gets caught out in a fraud by an air carrier comes to FT to moan about it is misplaced. My guess is that the vast majority of people who do get bagged don't brag about it. The few who have posted here recently have been UA & AA experiences (in the US).

To me, the easiest approach is not to sue the passenger, but presuming that they have status or a significant balance in their FFP, just close it out. That may sting more than writing a check.
Is this speculation? or based on any experience?
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
It really depends on who you are.

If you fly hidden city without FFP involvement, the chance is not only DL, but most airlines won't lay a finger on you. While each airlines has massive data, it just takes too many works to sort out who's who. In many cases, it is not worth spending the resources to go after these people.

However, if you use FFP in anyway with hidden city, things will be easier for airlines, as they can trace back your flight history. Lawsuit or not, the very first thing the airlines can do is to revoke the membership and forfeit all miles/points.

Of course, people may say this may not even occur. But based on the news, airlines had sued. Airlines had revoked membership before.

Is it a risk you are willing to take? Not me for sure.

My 2 cents.
Old Jul 21, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
"Asking for a friend..."

😏

Search this Thread
Search Engine: