Buying Delta tickets using Paypal

Old Jul 18, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Buying Delta tickets using Paypal

As Discover has 5% cash back through Paypal this quarter, I'm thinking about buying Delta tickets using Paypal. What downsides should I be wary about using Paypal to book Delta tickets? Also, am I able to use Delta gift cards in conjunction with Paypal for the remaining balance?
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL-PM
I don't believe you are able to stack Gift Cards and Paypal. The only downside I've experienced was that the 24 hour cancellation didn't refund, and required a few calls.

I've booked via Paypal a few times for various promos and whatnot and never had an issue other than the refund.
hightide likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Should be no issues. I've done it numerous times. Only downside is that you cant use any other form of payment in conjunction.
hightide likes this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the responses. Just booked my Delta tickets and indeed can't combine gift cards and paypal.
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a very general rule, you have more consumer protections if you pay for all travel with a credit card (not debit card, not PayPal, not wired money to a travel agent, not cash to a travel agent, not check, etc.). I'd be concerned about what would happen if you need a refund, either within 24 hours or later if the flight is cancelled, etc.
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
As a very general rule, you have more consumer protections if you pay for all travel with a credit card (not debit card, not PayPal, not wired money to a travel agent, not cash to a travel agent, not check, etc.). I'd be concerned about what would happen if you need a refund, either within 24 hours or later if the flight is cancelled, etc.
You can use your credit card to pay via paypal.
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
You can use your credit card to pay via paypal.
I'm not sure this counts as a credit card purchase since PayPal is paying the travel provider and you're just paying PayPal by credit card.
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, KLM Gold
I'm not sure this counts as a credit card purchase since PayPal is paying the travel provider and you're just paying PayPal by credit card.
This is true, most CC companies will refer to PayPal for disputes.
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by iamjesse View Post
This is true, most CC companies will refer to PayPal for disputes.
I have successfully disputed paypal charges with my credit card company multiple times, and have never had them suggest I dispute with paypal instead. Perhaps it depends on the specific bank.
Old Jul 20, 19, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
PayPal makes clear that you can still dispute with your bank. PayPal is just acting as a merchant bank in this case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: