Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just turned GOLD, does my companion also have same day change fee waived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

I am new to Gold status, so just learning the perks that go along with it. I am most excited about booking a lower fare (with a routing I am comfortable with) and then if possible, have the ability to change to a new itinerary, 24 hours prior, that might be more convenient.

So, just double checking, if my husband is on the same reservation, he can also have free same day change?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
It depends on the agent you get. Policy is only the Gold member and higher levels have the SDC/SDS fees waived, but sometimes some agents will waive for non-Gold members in same pnr, but it is not guaranteed or published benefit.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:52 pm

Don't get too excited. I have found this very hard to actually accomplish. I have been able to get on using standby on a couple of flights, but it's very difficult to change to a different routing if you are buying cheap fares. Worked better when my business travel was booked last minute at higher fare classes.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

I concur with the "don't get too excited" comment. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to SDC on a coach fare. SDS can be accomplished, but that requires sitting at the gate, hoping there is space available, and willing to take the worst seat left of the a/c. The written rules are a little more generous if you are booked (not upgraded) to the W or F cabin (if you are upgraded you play by the rules of your coach fare), but usually agents make up their own rules and you will do a lot of HUCA. No you will not get the $75 fee waived for companions...there was a thread not too long ago regarding the same subject and that is probably the hardest fee to get waived in the entire system.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum
Well, shoot, thanks for the information. No wonder I couldn't find any details/rules about this on DL.com

I assumed, that a person could just call up 24 hours ahead of time and request the change at lickety split, it would get done.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Elizabeth208
Well, shoot, thanks for the information. No wonder I couldn't find any details/rules about this on DL.com

I assumed, that a person could just call up 24 hours ahead of time and request the change at lickety split, it would get done.
The reason it's challenging in economy is that there needs to be the same fare on your new flight. So buying far in advance on an a 'deep discount economy' fare is going to be hard to find day-of travel. However, when flying in first class, any (non-Delta-One) space is allowed for SDC. There's a helpful wiki page about it on Flyertalk:
Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Gig103
The reason it's challenging in economy is that there needs to be the same fare on your new flight. So buying far in advance on an a 'deep discount economy' fare is going to be hard to find day-of travel. However, when flying in first class, any (non-Delta-One) space is allowed for SDC. There's a helpful wiki page about it on Flyertalk:
Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options
note that paid (not complimentary upgraded) Comfort+ is also eligible for SDC if there's an available seat, without regard for the underlying coach inventory
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jrl767
note that paid (not complimentary upgraded) Comfort+ is also eligible for SDC if there's an available seat, without regard for the underlying coach inventory
Noted, thank you!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The higher your fare basis the more likely it is that SDC will be available in Y.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Maybe it is the routes I fly (often between west coast cities), but I often find that I am able to SDC. However, I have never been able to get the fee waived for companions (and I have asked).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elizabeth208

While they don't list any specific rules about companions, they certainly disclose that there must be original booking fare class availability in order to SDC on a Main Cabin ticket --

"If a seat is available in your originally purchased fare class, you can change your ticket to a confirmed seat on a new flight."

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change

Delta fare classes for main cabin are Y/B/M/H/Q/K/L/U/T/X/V. Basic Economy E fares are ineligible for SDC. Your purchased fare class is disclosed in your receipt.
Elizabeth208 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
While they don't list any specific rules about companions

The rule is that there is a $75 fee charged for same day confirmed. GM/PM/DM/360 get a fee waiver. When benefits apply to companions it is explicitly stated (like with the companion upgrade program), and it's not here. This is not a grey area; companions are not eligible for the fee waiver. If an agent grants it is is either an occasional favor or a mistake.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Maybe it is the routes I fly (often between west coast cities), but I often find that I am able to SDC.
Yes, it's highly route, day, and time dependent. I often have a difficult time trying to SDC when traveling for work because these business-heavy flights are frequently sell last minute tickets and are full, and so Delta heavily restricts fare inventory available. On the other hand, when traveling for leisure, I'm frequently able to SDC because I seek out travel on days/times that are cheaper. So, ironically, it's often most difficult to SDC on tickets with relatively higher fare classes.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
I concur with the "don't get too excited" comment. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to SDC on a coach fare. SDS can be accomplished, but that requires sitting at the gate, hoping there is space available, and willing to take the worst seat left of the a/c. The written rules are a little more generous if you are booked (not upgraded) to the W or F cabin (if you are upgraded you play by the rules of your coach fare), but usually agents make up their own rules and you will do a lot of HUCA. No you will not get the $75 fee waived for companions...there was a thread not too long ago regarding the same subject and that is probably the hardest fee to get waived in the entire system.
This is only true for free medallion complimentary upgrades. You also must reclear medallion upgrades on new flight. Upgrades using RUC/GUC/miles result in it being treated as an F ticket and no needing to reclear. Note, agents frequently get this last part wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
I concur with the "don't get too excited" comment. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to SDC on a coach fare. SDS can be accomplished, but that requires sitting at the gate, hoping there is space available, and willing to take the worst seat left of the a/c.
I have successfully SDC'd 27 segments this year, and only been denied 3 times (and those three times the 6 segments all cleared SDS). Yes, I sat in the back of the plane a few times (2 cleared into C+) but amazingly I survived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.