Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skyclubs - huge variation in bagel quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclubs - huge variation in bagel quality

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Lender's vs a local vendor who makes fresh bagels. Really?
Really - I'm a huge fan. Have some in the kitchen right now, in fact; microwaved with a little bit of cream cheese, they become beautifully soft and delicious. I legitimately prefer them to a lot of other brands.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by BenA
Really - I'm a huge fan. Have some in the kitchen right now, in fact; microwaved with a little bit of cream cheese, they become beautifully soft and delicious. I legitimately prefer them to a lot of other brands.
I like them microwaved with a slice of american cheese on each side.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:57 am

Year and years ago, like Pre 9/11 Continental used to source bread from a local bakery at each of their President's clubs, but that was many many moons ago.

I remember the kaiser rolls at EWR being particularly good as were rolls in CLE.

DELTA seems to locally source bagels at some stations, I have noticed that LGA/JFK bagels and even EWR seems to look and taste a little better than other stations. However, Seattle had some really good muffins which tasted fresh baked not from Sara Lee.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
The entirety of New York City's dead just rolled over in their graves.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:44 am

There's two issues at play here, 1) the deviation from "real" bagels (which honestly, it's an airline club and there is a huge deviation from "the best" in their pho, their eggs, etc so I'm not sure why anyone would expect bagels in particular to be any different) and 2) the variance from club to club. If they're just using frozen bagels then I would expect the variance to be smaller. wide variance tends to imply that each club is sourcing these on their own from local suppliers.
USCTrojan83 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
there is a huge deviation from "the best" in their pho, their eggs, etc so I'm not sure why anyone would expect bagels in particular to be any different) .
Well, bagels and other baked goods are easily procured from 3rd parties and they could decided to buy really good ones. As an example of this, many people really like many of their soups.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Your profile says LGA so I presume you're from NYC. I can also assume that you didn't grow up there since I can't imagine any native New Yorker choosing a grocery store packaged bagel over the real thing.
Lots of grocery stores have fresh bagels in their bakery section. The bakery section at my local Safeway actually has some best bagels I've had in the western US. They've got the size and texture of a NY bagel and are pretty darn close on the flavor.

It really wouldn't be hard for SCs to have a good bagel, it's just not a priority. SLC in particular has a pretty sad dough ball excuse for a bagel.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Your profile says LGA so I presume you're from NYC. I can also assume that you didn't grow up there since I can't imagine any native New Yorker choosing a grocery store packaged bagel over the real thing.
My favorite bagels are from St-Viature (or whatever it's called) in Montreal - and I've had plenty of good NY bagels.... having said all that, I do find that some skyclub bagels are delicious, whereas others are complete monstrosities... go to Boston or San Diego and you'll see what I mean... I used to add a stop in Atlanta to most of my trips just to get a bagel or two that's how good the ATL ones are.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I used to add a stop in Atlanta to most of my trips just to get a bagel or two that's how good the ATL ones are.
Really?
MimiB22 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Well, bagels and other baked goods are easily procured from 3rd parties and they could decided to buy really good ones. As an example of this, many people really like many of their soups.
The soup is mass market stuff, and many people really like their bagels. I mean, I think we're in agreement here.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
The soup is mass market stuff, and many people really like their bagels. I mean, I think we're in agreement here.

I don't think many people like the bagels, and many people like the soup. And why in the world am I spending time talking about this????
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I don't think many people like the bagels, and many people like the soup. And why in the world am I spending time talking about this????
Bagels terrible. Soup decent
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by james318
The ones I had at JFK or LGA last time I was there were quite good.
The JFK T4 Skyclub -- where I have been too many mornings -- has dreadful "bagels". You'd be beaten for trying to serve that in the city.

Originally Posted by estedman
Atlanta Skyclub bagels come from Goldbergs.
I've never eaten these either in or out of Skyclub. Maybe?

Originally Posted by The Situation
I have never had a bagel in the skyclubs because all of the bagels look terrible. Some skyclub bagels definitely look less terrible than others, but none of the skyclubs serve "bagels." They serve the same bread in a bagel shape that some people who don't know any better buy at a grocery store. Aside from the shape, you can tell just by looking at the bagel that the texture and taste are all wrong.
Generally this is correct.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I grew up on the East Side and we got all of our bagels and bialys on Houston St in the 1940's and 1950's so I'm a little bit of a snob about them.

They're not that good anymore.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Really?
yeah, and to get more MQMs... really took advantage of SDC to change routings on J tickets. Often changed routes like ROC to LGA to ROC-ATL-LGA; SYR-ATL-LGA, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.