Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Recent pathetic decisions/culture of Delta partners KE, GA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I am shocked by recent incidents involving KE and GA, two Delta partners I heavily rely upon when traveling in Asia.

First KE demoted cabin crew who refused to serve alcohol to captain of first offer and the latter only got warning.

Now GA is trying to sentence video blogger who blogged about less than ideal flight between DPS and SYD when menus were hand written and business class ran out of champaign and wine. From what I am reading GA issued a service directive that effectively bans any filming or photos inside cabin besides selfies. W

Will these airlines also silence mechanics or pilots who bring up maintenance and safety issues?

Both incidents are very concerning and I already altered travel plans to avoid KE on my next trip. I also refused to fly mainland China carriers in the past , but maybe it's time to reconsider, otherwise it would be very difficult to stay loyal when traveling between US and Asia. I wish Delta had NH, JA or CX....
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was actually kind of impressed by the hand-written menu; it showed that their employees care.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
I was actually kind of impressed by the hand-written menu; it showed that their employees care.
Agree. My best flight of the last five years wasn’t on Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Lufthansa, Swiss, ANA or Delta - it was Garuda. The crew were absolutely remarkable and the catering was stunning. I’ve been on better hard products, but the staff truly cared and made it a spectacular flight to remember. This incident sounds no different than when I’ve had DL crew run out in the terminals with their credit cards to buy an armload of sandwiches when catering fails, other than the company’s reaction after the fact.

While KE is currently in the news and certainly has some issues with the family ownership, they are on a path to changing that with the new CEO; he’s still part of the Cho family, but is widely regarded as actually experienced and competent as well. Many of the issues that crop up are common regional aviation culture issues - certainly something to be awareness of, but something that is changing rapidly as a result of incidents like the Asiana runway excursion, with first officers and cabin crew feeling more empowered to speak up. We saw the effects of that change here because the cabin crew did step up to prevent a safety issue, but the company needed to stand behind them and did not. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for the new leadership to make some changes at the institutional level, and perhaps Delta can even lean on them a bit to do so.
BearX220, manacit and ConnieDee like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think this may be why Delta is slowly increasing their ownership stake in KE. They recognize the issues, and are trying to gain more influence in the operations. KE has tremendous potential right now. Koreans are fiercely loyal to their national brands, and Asiana is really down. If Korean can get their act together, they could really capitalize on Asiana's troubles.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Really has nothing to do with DL. And if you're so concerned about the way companies treat employees in influencing your purchase decisions... you must live in a cave.
bubbashow and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bagels
Really has nothing to do with DL. And if you're so concerned about the way companies treat employees in influencing your purchase decisions... you must live in a cave.
The cabin crew issue is far beyond "how a company treats employees." It is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed. It's absolutely embarrassing that it happened - both that the captain tried to drink (which implies a culture which is accepting of that behavior) and then the lack of support for the flight attendant that tried to do the right thing.
BenA and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:33 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So consider China Airlines (CI) which is a Taiwanese airline, I've had some really good flights lately with them and look forward to another to BKK!
Dalewood and eneq like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Two unrelated incidents, which DL had nothing to do with, and you post them here?

GA isn't even a close partner with DL. DL has almost nothing to do with them.

FWIW the FA was demoted for unprofessional behavior, not because they refused to serve drinks. Not excusing KE but there is definitely more to the story. Korean Air pilot asks for alcoholic beverage but let off with warning
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Two unrelated incidents, which DL had nothing to do with, and you post them here?

GA isn't even a close partner with DL. DL has almost nothing to do with them.

FWIW the FA was demoted for unprofessional behavior, not because they refused to serve drinks. Not excusing KE but there is definitely more to the story. Korean Air pilot asks for alcoholic beverage but let off with warning
I don't doubt that there is more to the story, and that she was probably a b---h. That having been said, my gut tells me that doing the unprofessional thing (i.e. not relying on internal resolution protocols) probably benefited the greater good in the grand scheme. Sure, she caused her company to lose face (a big deal in East Asia), but if she hadn't stepped out of line, I'm guessing the entire incident would have been suppressed. I also do feel that KE functions a little too much like a monarchy (the nut rage episode also lends credence to this).

Insofar as GA banning photography is concerned, that seems a little over the top, but it's their company, and they can make their own rules.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The FA was a he. I agree with your sentiment, but at the same time drinks could likely be refused without a blow-up. If there was a row in front of the customers then I could see why that was an issue. We basically don't have all the details.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly MU, they are great long haul. Better seats than KE and service keeps getting better.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
The FA was a he. I agree with your sentiment, but at the same time drinks could likely be refused without a blow-up. If there was a row in front of the customers then I could see why that was an issue. We basically don't have all the details.
The article didn’t say the argument was in front of passengers though, just that it was after landing. You’re right that there’s a lot of uncertainty here, but considering KE’s culture of deference to authority, I’m inclined to believe the crew manager over the captain and management that has an incentive to spin the incident to save face.

Btw, I didn’t notice this until now, but the one who got demoted wasn’t the FA from whom the drink was requested, correct? The article says the FA reported it to the crew manager, who filed the formal complaint (and also told the first officer but requested he not bring it up during the flight, which led to the argument when he did so anyway).

FWIW, I’m of the mindset that this is relevant to Delta. The partnership is an implicit endorsement of the partners, and when any of them have incidents like this, it reflects poorly on all the companies in the alliance in the eyes of consumers.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by moondog
That having been said, my gut tells me that doing the unprofessional thing (i.e. not relying on internal resolution protocols) probably benefited the greater good in the grand scheme. Sure, she caused her company to lose face (a big deal in East Asia), but if she hadn't stepped out of line, I'm guessing the entire incident would have been suppressed. I also do feel that KE functions a little too much like a monarchy (the nut rage episode also lends credence to this).
This. I am sure that the cabin chief violated company protocol with the complaint on their internal forum. But generally employees only make complaints public (and I say public loosely - as I understand it the cabin chief posted on an internal forum - they did not make it public outside of the company) when internal resolution is not working well. Of course I could be completely off base, but we already know that KE had major issues with CRM back in the 90's. I am sure that they have made progress since then, but incidents like these tell me that the culture may still be toxic (at least in the context of modern aviation safety standards around general safety practices and CRM).
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
GA is an impressive worst-to-first story. Not too many years ago Garuda was the sad, shabby red-headed stepchild of Asian airlines.

KE, to quote another FTer whose summation impressed me some years ago, is a very feudal carrier. My family no longer books KE, even for award redemptions, after my (Caucasian) wife was treated appallingly by KE female flight attendants on a SYD-ICN. They made clear they did not want my wife in business class, taking up space better occupied by single Korean men they might snare.

None of this, like nothing else in this thread, has anything to do with Delta Air Lines.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
None of this, like nothing else in this thread, has anything to do with Delta Air Lines.
I agree on GA being irrelevant, but KE is not irrelevant. KE-DL are joint venture partners. KE is a cornerstone of Delta's APAC strategy, and Delta owns a small (but material) stake in KE.

If Delta's strategy to expand in APAC is to leverage KE as their partner to deliver passengers to secondary (or dare I say, primary) APAC destinations, issues with KE are highly relevant to any Delta flyer that has to travel to APAC.

As an extreme example, I believe an AF-KLM bankruptcy would be headline news in this forum for the same reason.
moondog and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.