Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Recent pathetic decisions/culture of Delta partners KE, GA

Recent pathetic decisions/culture of Delta partners KE, GA

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I think it is entirely relevant to this forum, even if you don't fly KE. One just sort of assumes that another company that rises to the level of a Joint Venture partner with Delta, and hence is effectively being endorsed by Delta, follows reasonable standards of service and safety, which includes a modern day safety culture.
I don't make any such assumption, and I think it's naive to do so. DL is in these partnerships to make money. DL doesn't oversee the operations or safety of these companies whatsoever.

People should research the companies that they fly, not just blindly follow DL and assume they will be enforcing any type of regulation on their partners. It simply doesn't work that way.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by defrosted
Yes it is a leap in logic. They are funneling you onto another company, so only those flying on the other company could realistically find this to be a big deal. I mentioned I realize this is a big deal for you, and I get that, but not all of us.

The leap in logic is saying the influence of the safety of their partner airline of 20,000 employees will override the culture of Delta's 80,000 employees. To your point if anything Delta will probably pressure KE to change. So these incidents could be catalysts for improvement not some big deal red flag of KE somehow eroding DL's safety culture.

The sky(team) is not falling.
When did I say anything about “eroding DL’s safety culture?”

My point is that KE, when it gets the privilege of marketing its flights with DL flight numbers, becomes implicitly endorsed as sharing the same culture. You may not remember that DL blacklisted KE before for issues of crew resource management that were leading to crashes. DL actually sent it’s own people in to train KE pilots to its own standards. This is a similar (if not as severe) issue. That’s all I’m saying.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

My point is that KE, when it gets the privilege of marketing its flights with DL flight numbers, becomes implicitly endorsed as sharing the same culture. You may not remember that DL blacklisted KE before for issues of crew resource management that were leading to crashes. DL actually sent it’s own people in to train KE pilots to its own standards. This is a similar (if not as severe) issue. That’s all I’m saying.
While I do think the link between this incident and Delta safety culture is tenuous at best, since Delta is both a JV partner and an equity holder, I think it would have been nice if they at least made a public statement about the KE episode. Sure, the facts aren't out yet, so it would be premature to say anything too damning, but a simple "we are aware of this incident and are following developments closely" is presumably acceptable.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond

You were implying this is some big deal to all of us. If you agree that this is not eroding Delta's safety culture then it clearly is not a big deal for all of us, and the concern is probably limited to those flying KE.

As far as being implicitly endorsed, that is a bit of a stretch. I do agree that associating with, and not condemning bad behavior of another company could be problematic. However these are separate companies, I would never assume two companies hold the exact same standards just because they are aligned. Heck people are arguing here about which partners offer better service or catering all the time.

If your point is simply problems are a problem then we agree. But again the leap in logic is that this is some big deal red flag systemic issue that everyone that flies Delta should be concerned about.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by moondog
I think it would have been nice if they at least made a public statement about the KE episode.
DL has zero motive or incentive to do this. Speaking up would merely make more people aware of the incident. And all airlines' coordinate-relationship situations are fair-weather ones. When SR111 went down it was flying as a DL codeshare with many DL-ticketed passengers killed, and DL could not distance itself from SR fast enough. On Monday that was Delta's nonstop service to Zurich! On Tuesday morning that was SWISSAIR, nothing to do with us, we barely know them.

You may not remember that DL blacklisted KE before for issues of crew resource management that were leading to crashes. DL actually sent it’s own people in to train KE pilots to its own standards.
That much is true. When KE cockpit culture was getting a lot of people killed, DL did issue an ultimatum: shape up with our training, or lose the relationship. So there are limits.
moondog and defrosted like this.

Last edited by BearX220; Jul 18, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:24 am

[QUOTE=moondog;31312185]I don't doubt that there is more to the story, and that she was probably a b---h.
According to the Korea Times story, the FA was a man, the chief FA on board. But, yes, female FAs who speak up about safety issues to their betters may indeed have to put up with being labeled: all power to them! Korean Air pilot asks for alcoholic beverage but let off with warning
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Wow. On KE we observed a clear racist / sexist hierarchy: a few Korean men traveling alone were fawned over, brought extra treats from first class, lots of simpering and brazen / literal butt-and-cleavage displaying. To the Caucasian men flying solo the FAs were formally, cautiously polite. Caucasian men sitting with wives / SOs got minimal, perfunctory service. Caucasian women (there were 3 in the J cabin) got no service at all; my wife had to bus her own tray back to the galley after lunch, and the FAs would not answer call buttons or even make eye contact. We laugh about it now, but would not book KE again.
I just booked a first class TPE-SEA itinerary as an old-lady solo leisure traveler. Most of those route choices go through ICN: I ended up on Delta metal based on a timing I liked, but I guess I either dodged a bullet or missed out on an opportunity to use my gently assertive travel skills to provide a bit of cultural exchange and education to an international flight crew.
BearX220 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.