Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Recent pathetic decisions/culture of Delta partners KE, GA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent pathetic decisions/culture of Delta partners KE, GA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree on GA being irrelevant, but KE is not irrelevant. KE-DL are joint venture partners. KE is a cornerstone of Delta's APAC strategy, and Delta owns a small (but material) stake in KE.

If Delta's strategy to expand in APAC is to leverage KE as their partner to deliver passengers to secondary (or dare I say, primary) APAC destinations, issues with KE are highly relevant to any Delta flyer that has to travel to APAC.

As an extreme example, I believe an AF-KLM bankruptcy would be headline news in this forum for the same reason.
I very much agree with this. Delta has chosen to closely align their business with Korean Air. Delta clearly sees potential with a KE/DL partnership. So, it would reflect very poorly on Delta's judgement if the company they chose to partner with turns out to be a s***show (pardon my French). Also, with how much Delta has been relying on KE's intra-Asia network, this is very relevant to Delta and its operations.

Now, I'm not saying Korean is in shambles like others (especially certain aviation bloggers) try to portray. However, if Korean was to noticeably decline in both safety and service, and Delta continues to show unwavering support, it would be a very poor look on Delta's part. I understand the two are business partners, and you never want to throw a partner under the bus (especially when you rely on them for a large revenue stream). But in this hypothetical scenario, it would be in Delta's best interest to start pushing Korean to make some serious changes.
moondog and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
GA is an impressive worst-to-first story. Not too many years ago Garuda was the sad, shabby red-headed stepchild of Asian airlines.

KE, to quote another FTer whose summation impressed me some years ago, is a very feudal carrier. My family no longer books KE, even for award redemptions, after my (Caucasian) wife was treated appallingly by KE female flight attendants on a SYD-ICN. They made clear they did not want my wife in business class, taking up space better occupied by single Korean men they might snare.

None of this, like nothing else in this thread, has anything to do with Delta Air Lines.
I've observed a former longterm PMNW>DL purser treat business class customers very badly when *HE* didn't believe those individuals should be in business class, namely women business travelers or anyone female who wasn't part of a (white heterosexual) retired couple. He approved of male business travelers and (wealthy white heterosexual) elderly couples traveling for leisure in business class, but anyone was treated very badly.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I simply don't understand how people here seem to think the KE incident is not a big flashing red light for all of us.

Here's what we have here:

--FA tries to do the right thing but in the process offends the Captain and the FO.
--FO complains to company about FA's "abusive language."
--Company demotes the FA who tried to do the right thing, while giving the captain who tried to drink a slap on the wrist, and evidently imposing no discipline on the FO.

This series of events would obviously be the cause of a dramatic chilling effect on all cabin crew, when it comes to reporting on unsafe conditions.

I see this as a HUGE issue with the culture of KE and its values of inclusion and respect for its team members.

At Delta, the main internal slogan drilled into every employee is: "Safety is our number one core value." For a whistleblowing FA to be demoted in a case like this flies in the face of that core value.

I'm sorry, but this is a BIG DEAL.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
This is definitely concerning, but since we don't have the full details, we can't really judge with any certainty. If the culture represses reporting up the chain on safety concerns, or minimizing whistleblower accounts, that could cause fatalities in the future.

On the other hand, we've seen minor incidents in all fields that are followed by a coverup, or blackmail or trying to influence people, and the later crime becomes the issue a punishment is based on.

Granted, it seems the entire incident reflects badly on KE, but to take it to an extreme, if the cabin crew manager got into an altercation and killed the first officer, the fact that the captain wanted a drink does not excuse murder.
eneq likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've observed a former longterm PMNW>DL purser treat business class customers very badly when *HE* didn't believe those individuals should be in business class, namely women business travelers or anyone female who wasn't part of a (white heterosexual) retired couple. He approved of male business travelers and (wealthy white heterosexual) elderly couples traveling for leisure in business class, but anyone was treated very badly.
Wow. On KE we observed a clear racist / sexist hierarchy: a few Korean men traveling alone were fawned over, brought extra treats from first class, lots of simpering and brazen / literal butt-and-cleavage displaying. To the Caucasian men flying solo the FAs were formally, cautiously polite. Caucasian men sitting with wives / SOs got minimal, perfunctory service. Caucasian women (there were 3 in the J cabin) got no service at all; my wife had to bus her own tray back to the galley after lunch, and the FAs would not answer call buttons or even make eye contact. We laugh about it now, but would not book KE again.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:34 am

We've all run into our fair share of rude Delta employees, but I would not describe Delta as a racist/xenophobic clan.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I simply don't understand how people here seem to think the KE incident is not a big flashing red light for all of us.

I'm sorry, but this is a BIG DEAL.
All of us? I mean maybe all of us that fly to Asia.

I don't, so of all the things to be concerned about regarding Delta and it's partnerships/JV this is a very small deal in my world. I can respect it is a big deal to you, that is fair. But the logic leap to infer these incidents are proof of, or will lead to the degradation of Delta's safety policy is the only thing BIG in this story.

At the end of the day these are separate companies. I see the point of associating with bad companies, but you are blowing this way out of proportion in my opinion.

I will also submit that Westjet is an amazing company, perhaps with (arguably at least) a better culture than Delta, so if your so concerned with partnerships/JV having a negative impact on Delta, perhaps the reverse is true with great companies and it all evens out.
CPMaverick and eneq like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Wow. On KE we observed a clear racist / sexist hierarchy: a few Korean men traveling alone were fawned over, brought extra treats from first class, lots of simpering and brazen / literal butt-and-cleavage displaying. To the Caucasian men flying solo the FAs were formally, cautiously polite. Caucasian men sitting with wives / SOs got minimal, perfunctory service. Caucasian women (there were 3 in the J cabin) got no service at all; my wife had to bus her own tray back to the galley after lunch, and the FAs would not answer call buttons or even make eye contact. We laugh about it now, but would not book KE again.
I used to hold my breath until I could verify that this guy wasn't working my TATL/TPAC flights. He always flew as the business class purser on MSP nonstops, and I know FAs that said he either treated them well or badly, depending on whether he wanted the individual to work "his" flights.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

I used to hold my breath until I could verify that this guy wasn't working my TATL/TPAC flights. He always flew as the business class purser on MSP nonstops, and I know FAs that said he either treated them well or badly, depending on whether he wanted the individual to work "his" flights.
The post you replied to was about a KE FA. I'm guessing there isn't much risk of finding her on any MSP flights.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Add KLM to the list of partner airlines that make pathetic cultural decisions. What’s worse, is that KLMs own social media account defends the practice.

Major fail for KLMs actions regarding onboard breast feeding. At least the responses show that Delta is in tune with health organization recommendations, and the respecting of mothers and their babies.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...xpect-cover-up
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Overall, the forum must believe that the FA made all of this up. I remember a fair bit of outrage over flight crews smoking on board, yet so little on this..How did the pilot not get fired? I will take my chances with CI to SE Asia.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by defrosted
All of us? I mean maybe all of us that fly to Asia.

I don't, so of all the things to be concerned about regarding Delta and it's partnerships/JV this is a very small deal in my world. I can respect it is a big deal to you, that is fair. But the logic leap to infer these incidents are proof of, or will lead to the degradation of Delta's safety policy is the only thing BIG in this story.
Nope, not a leap in logic.

DL funnels its customers, through the JV, onto KE flights. If KE's safety culture allows for whistle-blowers to be demoted, that's not a culture that will promote safety. And that is a big deal for DL.

I have no issue with DL's JVs and other partnerships. I fly on partners all the time. I also have flown several times on this particular partner, but will think twice before doing so again in the future.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Nope, not a leap in logic.

DL funnels its customers, through the JV, onto KE flights. If KE's safety culture allows for whistle-blowers to be demoted, that's not a culture that will promote safety. And that is a big deal for DL.

I have no issue with DL's JVs and other partnerships. I fly on partners all the time. I also have flown several times on this particular partner, but will think twice before doing so again in the future.
Yes it is a leap in logic. They are funneling you onto another company, so only those flying on the other company could realistically find this to be a big deal. I mentioned I realize this is a big deal for you, and I get that, but not all of us.

The leap in logic is saying the influence of the safety of their partner airline of 20,000 employees will override the culture of Delta's 80,000 employees. To your point if anything Delta will probably pressure KE to change. So these incidents could be catalysts for improvement not some big deal red flag of KE somehow eroding DL's safety culture.

The sky(team) is not falling.
BearX220 and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've never flown KE and probably never will.

I don't see how this incident remotely affects those flying DL routes that don't involve KE.

If you fly KE then sure, it's notable. If you are holding a moral argument against DL for not trying to strongarm the decisions of it's partner, then sure, I guess I understand. But it hardly affects 'all of us', typical FT hyperbole.
BearX220 and defrosted like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I think it is entirely relevant to this forum, even if you don't fly KE. One just sort of assumes that another company that rises to the level of a Joint Venture partner with Delta, and hence is effectively being endorsed by Delta, follows reasonable standards of service and safety, which includes a modern day safety culture.
moondog and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.