Wiki Posts
Search

MSP ground stop 7/15/19

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
MSP ground stop 7/15/19

On a pushed back Delta flight unable to move in MSP currently. The crew says airport is closed for at least 30 minutes to one hour due to T-storms. Pack your patience tonight everyone!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
On a pushed back Delta flight unable to move in MSP currently. The crew says airport is closed for at least 30 minutes to one hour due to T-storms. Pack your patience tonight everyone!
Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, departure traffic destined to Minneapolis-St Paul International/Wold-Chamberlain Airport, Minneapolis, MN (MSP) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 8:00 pm EDT.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It looks bad out there, with some tornado warnings to the west of the Twin Cities.

If you check airportviewer.com, you'll see a bunch of flights away from gates and on the tarmac but nothing moving.

ADDED: There's now a flash flood warning. I see water in streets up to the curb/sidewalk and few people or cars moving. Weather reports claim some places got more than five inches of rain in about an hour and a half.
becks1 and ConnieDee like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 15, 2019 at 6:13 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Lots of diversions now...Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, Madison etc. The next bank departing MSP is going to be rough.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Lots of diversions now...Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, Madison etc. The next bank departing MSP is going to be rough.
Ouch.....and those are somewhat small outstations at which to be stuck.

For the record, Des Moines is about a four hour drive......and ORD seven.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 15, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

RDU inbound went to Kansas City. IAD went to O’Hare. PHX and SJC went to Rapid City. CLT went to Rochester. Good times.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jul 15, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:19 pm

This is why I like winters... 3 feet of snow is easier to handle - and cleaner too - then 2 -3 inches of rain
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
out of the groundstop now with 1000-mile scope GDP ... avg delays 128 minutes. Lots of diversions to recover & those get priority with ATC.

165 AMS-MSP to FAR ... ufff-da
becks1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
It was really coming down a bit ago. Would not want to be flying in that!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
DTW was getting brushed my thunderstorms tonight as well. Not as widespread as MSP, but it put most of the last big inbound bank into hold on the approach and caused a few diverts.

The line of storms that now has passed through MSP looks like it was rough.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jeet
This is why I like winters... 3 feet of snow is easier to handle - and cleaner too - then 2 -3 inches of rain
And more importantly more predictable. A serious ground-stop causing thunderstorm can happen pretty much any afternoon/evening in the summer and throw ops into complete disarray with little to no warning.

I know in advance if I am flying into snow or similar and plan accordingly.
writerguyfl and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Friend of mine inbound tonight got re-routed to Omaha Continued back to MSP an hour later so not too bad.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:39 pm

It's probably been a while since FAR had a nonstop from Europe: DL 165 from AMS diverted, but later flew back to MSP.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The hard part about thunderstorms is they can pop up so quickly and the difference of a few miles can make a big difference between normal ops and multi-hour delays.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:19 pm

There's a lot of activity at MSP now, which is especially unusual at this hour. It looks like those diverted flights are coming home tonight.

I'm guessing that a lot of crews timed out but decided that they would rasther agree to continue to get home rather than being stuck overnight in those outstations.

I'm guessing that during a major weather event, a lot of the diversions are ultimately sent to ariports other than the first and second choices that were planned originally as they all can't go to the same small airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.