FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Seat swap F-Y (comfort+) mid-flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1978212-seat-swap-f-y-comfort-mid-flight.html)

tomSEA Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Seat swap F-Y (comfort+) mid-flight

Hi all,

I'm curious the rules, and etiquette, for this situation. A search only yielded one thread (here) that implies there is a policy.

Recently, my wife and I, plus 2 kids, flew Delta domestic mainline. We had 3 seats in comfort+, and 1 in first. After over halfway thru the flight (meal service was done in F, and things were quiet), my wife and I traded places. I was scolded by the FA that they can't allow people going "back and forth and back and forth". I explained that we intended to swap only once, that the drink I had requested was also free in comfort+, and that it was my seat to begin with (in F), and then they dropped it and all was well. I was curious what other's experience has been?

Marylou Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm

I've seen it go both ways. It depends on the FA. If I were to do it, I would approach the FA upon boarding and say that I was planning on swapping one time with my spouse but not until after cabin service was over and promise to do it quietly.

OTOH, I would tell my spouse, "yeah, I'll come get you when I'm ready to swap." He would know better. :D

Widgets Jul 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Were you hand-carrying your F drink into the W cabin? That might cause some friction with FAs.

CarmenOM Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm

The problem is that it’s a slippery slope. So you agree to swap just once. But what if the three-year-old wants her mom and you need to switch back? What if the person who goes back forgets his Kindle in the seat pocket in F and has to go back for it? What if it’s a flight to MCO and two other families do the same thing? Etc., etc., etc.

tvtd Jul 15, 2019 5:32 pm

I frequently give mrs tvtd my upgrades. It’s never been a problem, with the exception of our last trip, when the mrs brought back the fruit cup from the breakfast offering. The FAs were visually upset when I physically returned the cup (a bit surprising as they would not pick it up during cabin service). All that said, I would not trade seats during the flight, nor would I ask if it was okay to do so, unless there was some unforeseen circumstance that the FAs would more than likely know about if that situation were to occur. Of all the things security related, PAX switching seats between classes probably rates pretty high on their list.

tomSEA Jul 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 31307174)
Were you hand-carrying your F drink into the W cabin? That might cause some friction with FAs.

No. Certainly I understand that would be frowned upon. I moved from W to F, and then asked for a drink a bit later while seated in F. If it matters, I had not had anything to drink while sitting in W.

tomSEA Jul 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd (Post 31307222)
I frequently give mrs tvtd my upgrades. It’s never been a problem, with the exception of our last trip, when the mrs brought back the fruit cup from the breakfast offering. The FAs were visually upset when I physically returned the cup (a bit surprising as they would not pick it up during cabin service). All that said, I would not trade seats during the flight, nor would I ask if it was okay to do so, unless there was some unforeseen circumstance that the FAs would more than likely know about if that situation were to occur. Of all the things security related, PAX switching seats between classes probably rates pretty high on their list.

It's a security issue? That hadn't occurred to me.

Often1 Jul 15, 2019 5:46 pm

This was a domestic flight, so the international prohibition on movement between cabins did not apply. Nonetheless, the correct approach is for the passenger seated in F to ask the FA if the swap is OK and carefully note that it won't be until after the meal service and when the aisles are clear. You won't be denied absent some issue such as turbulence.

Same thing goes for international Even though it is theoretically prohibited, the FA's know if there are air marshals onboard and won't care if you are decent about it.

flyerCO Jul 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by tomSEA (Post 31307228)
It's a security issue? That hadn't occurred to me.

Its considered one, at least international. Of course it's one that makes no sense to me. If you're a risk, you're a risk regardless of cabin. Sitting in Y doesn't change that.

D3Kingg Jul 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Sorry , I think it’s tacky. Just decide before the flight whether you or your wife will sit in first class.

azepine00 Jul 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Whats the problem - one pax gets up to go to lav and another returns. Why anyone cares is beyond me...

tomSEA Jul 16, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican (Post 31307687)
Sorry , I think it’s tacky. Just decide before the flight whether you or your wife will sit in first class.

You mean I might need to take care of the kids for a whole 4 hour flight by myself?!? j/k :) Thanks for the input.

Intl359Widget Jul 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 31308002)
Whats the problem - one pax gets up to go to lav and another returns. Why anyone cares is beyond me...

I could see this being something totally out of Seinfeld with Kramer.

ijgordon Jul 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Ask the FA in advance, assure them you’ll be discreet (and only one swap) and maybe that you’re partly doing it to relieve your wife/husband from the kids, and if they say fine, then just do it and ignore all the busybodies who think it’s tacky.

ARTraveler79 Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Currently watching this happen on a flight to South America. The dad started in First. Right before we took off he switched with his daughter. Now after meal service the brother came and took the seat from her. Didn’t bother me but seemed a little disruptive to the passenger seated next to them.