Seat swap F-Y (comfort+) mid-flight

Old Jul 16, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Wouldnít be a big deal to me.
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Only issue I see is if each passenger is asking for free alcohol or meals they dont get in back.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Fully echo the comments about letting GAs or FAs know about it. We have seat swapped a few times but always let the FAs know and usually on emptier flights. Just came back from AMS-JFK in C+ but we had aisle/window and then moved to the wide open middle row after letting FAs know

I do recall a DTW-PEK flight where I gave up my D1 seat to give to my traveling companion and let the FA on the upper deck know and I took her C+ seat. For some strange reason, the FA did ask for us to swap back before landing though.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx View Post
Fully echo the comments about letting GAs or FAs know about it. We have seat swapped a few times but always let the FAs know and usually on emptier flights. Just came back from AMS-JFK in C+ but we had aisle/window and then moved to the wide open middle row after letting FAs know

I do recall a DTW-PEK flight where I gave up my D1 seat to give to my traveling companion and let the FA on the upper deck know and I took her C+ seat. For some strange reason, the FA did ask for us to swap back before landing though.
Landing/takeoff is when nearly all accidents happen. In case of one they want a correct manifest.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:47 pm

Official policy in the manual is you may swap once prior to beginning of service. Once meal service began, youíre not eligible to swap, and once you do swap you may not swap back.

as with any application of rules your results may vary - but thatís the by the book answer.
tomSEA likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Flyer0889 View Post
Official policy in the manual is you may swap once prior to beginning of service. Once meal service began, youíre not eligible to swap, and once you do swap you may not swap back.

as with any application of rules your results may vary - but thatís the by the book answer.
That's interesting, is it a cabin crew manual you are referring to, or some kind of passenger right that is memorialized somewhere?
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:37 pm

In flight manual
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post
Sorry , I think itís tacky. Just decide before the flight whether you or your wife will sit in first class.
I share this sentiment. - especially when someone in F starts bringing gobs of swag back for companions outside F. I feel it really is tacky. Iím not losing any sleep over these shenanigans, but you did ask about etiquette. Hmmm. If we wanted to take shifts sleeping in the lie flat I may waver 😄

Last edited by Tine Rod; Jul 20, 19 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I'm not sure how swapping could be more disapprove to anyone than me getting up to go to the bathroom or someone getting something from the overhead bin. You aren't entitled to a sterile cabin environment.

That said, I'd let the FA know what was happening in advance. With two kids and parents separated, I'd expect them to fully understand the need/desire to trade off halfway through. It's not like the OP was trying to get two meals or anything.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
I'm not sure how swapping could be more disapprove to anyone than me getting up to go to the bathroom or someone getting something from the overhead bin. You aren't entitled to a sterile cabin environment.

That said, I'd let the FA know what was happening in advance. With two kids and parents separated, I'd expect them to fully understand the need/desire to trade off halfway through. It's not like the OP was trying to get two meals or anything.
I suspect the policy comes from a combination of use of amenities and cabin comfort. The problem is that youíre arguing at the best case scenario, but way too often people try to swap multiple times, sometimes with multiple party members, all ordering drinks, physiological needs, etc can you imagine being the aisle of their seat was a window?. as a flight leader Iím willing to do a midflight swap as needed despite the fact that once service starts they shouldnít be allowed, but Iím not handling multiple swaps/several party members/etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: