Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential change in operating carrier. Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If it comes to pass that a schedule change does give you the option for a refund, it will also give you carte-blanche to change. No rule on this I know of, but any business will prefer to offer a substitute than give the money back.

The advantage of changing over a refund is if prices have risen while you wait it could be expensive to cancel and rebook.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
How would DL handle this situation since OP booked the original itinerary with a KE ICN-SIN flight on the outbound. Wouldn't this raise some eyebrows if OP now tries to request a refund because they changed them to KE on the return (barring any long connection > 90 mins)?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
SEA-SIN-SEA non-stop??? Maybe you mean SFO?
Nope, SQ is starting a Seattle nonstop this fall! Pretty cool, except it dramatically cuts the viability of Delta moving NRT-SIN to Seattle.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks again to everyone for their replies. My husband and I discussed it at length last night, and again this morning. If the DL schedule change does occur eliminating DL168 SIN-NRT on Sep 18, we will push for a refund and rebook with SQ.

While there are a myriad of options involving KE, the flights all require substantial connection time in ICN and will get us back to ANC much later than originally planned. Moving the trip back a day will still have the same issue. We could move the return forward, but moving the outbound forward as well would be difficult for work reasons. And, if DL is shuffling planes around for a MX rotation or just simply adjusting for loads, my confidence decreases that this scenario wouldn't repeat itself closer to departure thus limiting our options even more.

The itinerary on SQ is ideal. ANC-SEA-SIN-SEA-ANC. Obviously the ANC segments are on AS, the SIN segments are on the new nonstop SQ out of SEA. Factoring in the DL refund the ticket prices are (currently) reasonable. The times are much better too. Arriving SIN at 5:30 PM vs midnight on DL, and departing and 9:30 AM vs 5:45 AM on DL. Only one connection instead of two, etc.

I've always been loyal to DL and hate not earning MQMs for this, but I can credit to my AS account (not much in there as it is).

I even sent DL Twitter a DM this morning inquiring about DL168 on 18SEP and they replied that they show the flight as operating, but completely sold out with no availability. Very strange for 2 months out, so definitely sounds like a change is in the works. At this point we can't do anything but wait for the change to officially occur. Hopefully it does not drag out too long and cause the SQ flights to fall out of our price range.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
How would DL handle this situation since OP booked the original itinerary with a KE ICN-SIN flight on the outbound. Wouldn't this raise some eyebrows if OP now tries to request a refund because they changed them to KE on the return (barring any long connection > 90 mins)?
Nope, doesn't matter. Just because you book a carrier on one flight doesn't mean you wanted to. Im booked SIN-ICN-SEA in two weeks. I didn't want KE (hate their hot cabins). However, I couldn't make the DL SIN-NRT flight.

Regardless DOT rules say they must offer a refund.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

I thought about that issue too. But, the DL flight leaves at 5:45 AM. The KE options are 1:10 AM or 10:30 PM on the date of travel. Both are definitely greater than 90 minutes.

The reason for booking KE on the outbound was, at the time of booking, the DL NRT flight was not listed as an option that day. Believe me, I would pay a fair amount more to avoid KE if the option had been there at time of booking.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Not really - I’m usually brutally upfront with the agent. “I know a change of operating carrier is a silly reason, but since the rules permit it, I’d like to take the opportunity to cancel for free since another flight better fits my plans now.”. It shuts down them trying to be legitimately helpful to find another routing for you, and saves everyone time and hassle.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Thanks again to everyone for their replies. My husband and I discussed it at length last night, and again this morning. If the DL schedule change does occur eliminating DL168 SIN-NRT on Sep 18, we will push for a refund and rebook with SQ.

While there are a myriad of options involving KE, the flights all require substantial connection time in ICN and will get us back to ANC much later than originally planned. Moving the trip back a day will still have the same issue. We could move the return forward, but moving the outbound forward as well would be difficult for work reasons. And, if DL is shuffling planes around for a MX rotation or just simply adjusting for loads, my confidence decreases that this scenario wouldn't repeat itself closer to departure thus limiting our options even more.

The itinerary on SQ is ideal. ANC-SEA-SIN-SEA-ANC. Obviously the ANC segments are on AS, the SIN segments are on the new nonstop SQ out of SEA. Factoring in the DL refund the ticket prices are (currently) reasonable. The times are much better too. Arriving SIN at 5:30 PM vs midnight on DL, and departing and 9:30 AM vs 5:45 AM on DL. Only one connection instead of two, etc.

I've always been loyal to DL and hate not earning MQMs for this, but I can credit to my AS account (not much in there as it is).

I even sent DL Twitter a DM this morning inquiring about DL168 on 18SEP and they replied that they show the flight as operating, but completely sold out with no availability. Very strange for 2 months out, so definitely sounds like a change is in the works. At this point we can't do anything but wait for the change to officially occur. Hopefully it does not drag out too long and cause the SQ flights to fall out of our price range.
Just went into EF. The flight isnt cancelled and is still scheduled as DL says. Im a bit confused, you said it wasnt showing anymore. Zeroing out inventory suggests something is happening. However this can be change in particular 767 type, etc...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Not really - I’m usually brutally upfront with the agent. “I know a change of operating carrier is a silly reason, but since the rules permit it, I’d like to take the opportunity to cancel for free since another flight better fits my plans now.”. It shuts down them trying to be legitimately helpful to find another routing for you, and saves everyone time and hassle.
Good strategy to know! It has been a long time since I have had to request a refund from DL that did not fall within the 24 hour cancel period. How long does it typically take, and any annoying hoops to jump through?

I'm not worried about waiting for the refund to post to book the SQ itinerary, just want to know it is in the works obviously before I do.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just went into EF. The flight isnt cancelled and is still scheduled as DL says. Im a bit confused, you said it wasnt showing anymore. Zeroing out inventory suggests something is happening. However this can be change in particular 767 type, etc...
I am seeing it on both EF and DL under timetables and flight schedules. All looks well.

However if you search Flight Availability on EF for the flight, no such luck. Same with attempting a dummy booking on DL. No seats available SIN-NRT on SEP18.

So basically the flight is there, but inventory is zeroed out as you said. Perhaps it just truly is a change to another 767 variant, but if it isn't I want to be prepared for the worst.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Good Day All,

I checked on travelnet and the flight is still there, it is sold out in D1 and Y but still see C+ available......this may be undergoing the swap with an updated aircraft, so keep an eye on it.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jwhuffman
Good Day All,

I checked on travelnet and the flight is still there, it is sold out in D1 and Y but still see C+ available......this may be undergoing the swap with an updated aircraft, so keep an eye on it.
Good to know there is hope! Thanks! I am in D1 for the flight and my husband is in C+
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought about that issue too. But, the DL flight leaves at 5:45 AM.
What about nh at 610a?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

[QUOTE=GagaPilot;31306789]Thanks again to everyone for their replies. My husband and I discussed it at length last night, and again this morning. If the DL schedule change does occur eliminating DL168 SIN-NRT on Sep 18, we will push for a refund and rebook with SQ.

My wife and I have DL168 booked on Sept 11 and it is no longer a routing option for dummy bookings. I’m not sure what we will do if the schedule change happens. We have cleared GUCs for SIN-NRT-SEA and a waitlist for SEA-JFK. Hopefully we would be able to rebook into D1 all the way through. We will be connecting in SIN from an SQ flight from the Maldives and have some flexibility. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=Culvetr;31307065]

My wife and I have DL168 booked on Sept 11 and it is no longer a routing option for dummy bookings. I’m not sure what we will do if the schedule change happens. We have cleared GUCs for SIN-NRT-SEA and a waitlist for SEA-JFK. Hopefully we would be able to rebook into D1 all the way through. We will be connecting in SIN from an SQ flight from the Maldives and have some flexibility. Any thoughts or suggestions?
DL will rebook you via ICN/PVG. As you've already cleared into J, they'll keep you in J for those segments. I'd then ask to go from ICN/PVG to DTW/ATL in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.