Search

One passenger skipping first segment

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:36 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
One passenger skipping first segment

My family is flying to BWI for Christmas. One member on the reservation will be coming in from Spain on the same day we leave Atlanta, however they will be arriving into JFK. The plan from there is to take Amtrak down to Baltimore (thats the most cost effective). He does plan on returning to Atlanta with us. Is it possible for Delta to split the reservation so that he can do that? If he misses the outbound leg, will they cancel his return ticket? Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:38 pm

Bad idea. If he misses the outbound flight, the return portion of the ticket will be cancelled.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Once you miss any legs, all legs after that are cancelled.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:43 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRUXED
Bad idea. If he misses the outbound flight, the return portion of the ticket will be cancelled.
I understand that. What is the solution? Is there any value in calling Delta and explaining the situation?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wrp96
Once you miss any legs, all legs after that are cancelled.
Plus if want to reinstate the fights will have to book at current rates for those flights.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The solution is to book a different ticket for him from the point in which he will be with you forward.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I understand that. What is the solution? Is there any value in calling Delta and explaining the situation?
Yes. Delta will be able to split the reservation. That means one passenger can keep their original booking with no extra fees, no problem.

The other passenger who needs to originate in a different city can have their ticket repriced. A change fee of ~$250 will be due, as well as any fare difference caused from the new originating city. If the ticket is basic economy, though, no changes will be possible and the second passenger will need to buy a brand new ticket.

Alternatives would be to book a one way positioning flight JFK-ATL that allows the second passenger to connect to the original itinerary, which may or may not be cheaper than rebooking the ticket. You can also wait and hope for a schedule change of one hour or more that would allow you to cancel the second passenger's ticket without charge, but then you're gambling that you'll be able to rebook the same flights you have now in the future at an affordable price, which is often pretty unlikely.

It never hurts to be honest with the agent explaining the situation so they can get creative, and if the other passenger's Spain-New York flight is on Delta, that is possibly worth mentioning as well so they have the full picture and can brainstorm options with you. But I wouldn't expect a fee waiver.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that these tickets may be booked into one reservation (PNR) is a red herring. DL requires that all segments of a ticket be flown in the order issued. Thus, when the guy coming from MAD no shows for the ATL-BWI segment, that segment and any remaining segments will be cancelled and will retain whatever value they have under the fare rules for the ticket. That will generally be $0, but only a review of the fare rules will give him an answer.

What he should now do is price two options:
1. Purchase a new ticket MAD-BWI-ATL and forget about the existing ticket.
2. Determine the cost of changing the existing ATL-BWI-ATL to MAD-BWI-ATL. This may be significantly more expensive than #1 .

Or, if he already has his MAD-JFK ticket, simply price out a new one-way BWI-ATL.

As others note, he can always explain the situation, but he should not expect anything as this is a common situation and it is why DL offers refundable / flexible fares (at a higher cost).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:16 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

I have had very good luck having Delta change things like this before...so I will call and explain and HUCA. JFK-MAD-JFK is on Delta so that should be a plus.
Worst case scenario, he'll have to go ahead and buy a BWI-ATL ticket now, which will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than if we waited until it got canceled. I'll see what we can figure things out.
Thanks for all y'all's input!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also DL protects across tickets when both are DL. Thus if buying JFK-ATL OW is cheaper then changing ticket theres no worry there.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
One thought.... if they do make a significant schedule change it MAY allow him to change without penalty.

if huca and pleading doesnt work, Id just pick up a cheap JFK to ATL ticket. And when they ask for volunteers @ xmas, he can offer to give up a seat in exchange for just dropping that leg.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
Yes. Delta will be able to split the reservation. That means one passenger can keep their original booking with no extra fees, no problem.

The other passenger who needs to originate in a different city can have their ticket repriced. A change fee of ~$250 will be due, as well as any fare difference caused from the new originating city. If the ticket is basic economy, though, no changes will be possible and the second passenger will need to buy a brand new ticket.

Alternatives would be to book a one way positioning flight JFK-ATL that allows the second passenger to connect to the original itinerary, which may or may not be cheaper than rebooking the ticket. You can also wait and hope for a schedule change of one hour or more that would allow you to cancel the second passenger's ticket without charge, but then you're gambling that you'll be able to rebook the same flights you have now in the future at an affordable price, which is often pretty unlikely.

It never hurts to be honest with the agent explaining the situation so they can get creative, and if the other passenger's Spain-New York flight is on Delta, that is possibly worth mentioning as well so they have the full picture and can brainstorm options with you. But I wouldn't expect a fee waiver.
The change fee depends on the fare rules. IIRC it's still $200 on most domestic coach fares (not including BE of course) and in the $250-500 range on many international tickets. However, travel that originates outside of the USA can have very different fare rules, with many tickets, even in business class, losing all value if they're not flown exactly as ticketed.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have had very good luck having Delta change things like this before...so I will call and explain and HUCA. JFK-MAD-JFK is on Delta so that should be a plus.
Worst case scenario, he'll have to go ahead and buy a BWI-ATL ticket now, which will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than if we waited until it got canceled. I'll see what we can figure things out.
Thanks for all y'all's input!
I agree with your tentative decision to handle it now. I do not know what he paid for that first ATL-BMI RT, but anything over $200 on that applies to the new one way ticket, which is about $250.

So likely we are talking all in about $170 or so to handle it now. Vs roll the dice and see hows this plays out in the holiday season.

BTW, I also once had a leg dropped. I think the most important point when begging is to convince them that is not a "change" but a screwed up travel plan that was not an attermpt to save cash. Focus on the TATL fare and wanting the domestic to line up with friends,
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I agree with your tentative decision to handle it now. I do not know what he paid for that first ATL-BMI RT, but anything over $200 on that applies to the new one way ticket, which is about $250.

So likely we are talking all in about $170 or so to handle it now. Vs roll the dice and see hows this plays out in the holiday season.

BTW, I also once had a leg dropped. I think the most important point when begging is to convince them that is not a "change" but a screwed up travel plan that was not an attermpt to save cash. Focus on the TATL fare and wanting the domestic to line up with friends,
Ok, thank you! We used Skymiles so I'm not sure how that would be different but I plan to call once all this weather is gone and wait times are more reasonable.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ok, thank you! We used Skymiles so I'm not sure how that would be different but I plan to call once all this weather is gone and wait times are more reasonable.
If the award ticket used miles that weren't from a PM or DM account, there's a $150 per ticket fee to cancel or change the ticket without forfeiting the miles. After T-72, you cna't get the miles back.

In fact, to drop a segment, the rule is that there must currently be award availability to rebook the ticket, and you must pay the current prices in miles at least for the direction of travel in which changes have been made. [Most DL award tickets now are OW but there are a few RT special lower rates in miles that are sometimes offered.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.