Flying on separate awards

Old Jul 11, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Flying on separate awards

I am looking at a Skymiles ticket from San Diego to Nice France. When I put in Nice it says no flights available. I can book a San-Lax- Cdg ticket on Delta then a separate 10k mile ticket on Air France all through Delta's website. If I book as 2 separate reservations can Delta put the reservations together so I am protected in case of irregular ops? Would I be able to check my luggage thru?

Same thing looking at a ticket to come home from Tel Aviv. I am only finding business awards from TLV-SAN which go thru CDG, FCO, or LHR at ridiculously high mile levels -325,000 but can book a TLV-LHR-JFK for 105,00 miles in Business Class and then ticket a separate JFK-SAN ticket for a much less total.

Do people find if they call Delta there are other options that an agent can find that I cannot see online? I just tried calling and there is over an hour wait for a call back so will try later tonight.
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Itís all about:

1) ďLegalĒ routing
2) Award availability.

Old Jul 11, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
I don't know if calling in will get you the routing you want, but it's worth a try. I know there are some partners that you can't book online, only by calling in.

With regard to your luggage, yes. You can through check across multiple tickets so long as the operating carrier is a tier 1 carrier.

As for IRROPS, truly depends. They're not obligated to protect you. However, in my experience you'd have a good chance of being fine. I would expect them to rebook you on a later flight regardless of which carrier caused the delay and which ticket was affected. That said, this would only be the case if the various flights and tickets were T1 partners and not someone else. I think if you were to fly LAX-CDG on AF (not sure who flies this route) and then on to AF to NCE they'd just put you on the next flight to NCE should you miss it. Similar with a flight to TLV, depending on your routing and carriers involved.

I've nested tickets like this numerous times and so far haven't run into problems. (Knock on wood)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
You may have to HUCA a few times, but if you can find a good agent willing to work with or put you through to the manual reissue desk, they should be able to book it all on one ticket. I had to do this recently when I found ATL-AMS and then AMS-BGO separately but couldn't get the website to show any available route ATL>>BGO.

Agent found availability on both, typed for a while, and then I had a ticket all the way through for just 75k RDM.

Although as others have said, if both tickets are on 006 stock then in practice you should be protected all the way through anyway.
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker View Post
I am looking at a Skymiles ticket from San Diego to Nice France. When I put in Nice it says no flights available. I can book a San-Lax- Cdg ticket on Delta then a separate 10k mile ticket on Air France all through Delta's website.
If I book as 2 separate reservations can Delta put the reservations together so I am protected in case of irregular ops?
Would I be able to check my luggage thru?
Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
With regard to your luggage, yes. You can through check across multiple tickets so long as the operating carrier is a tier 1 carrier.
For international flights that is subject to the immigration & custom rules of the country or regional area (e.g. Eu Schegen) you are entering.
Is common clear immigration & customs at the first port of entry. Schengen can be different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:48 pm

Use juicy miles.com to check Air France/KLM inventory for those same Delta flights. I recently had a similar situation - DL wanted 300k each way - and I found the Delta seats via Air France at just over 100k each way. Of course you need to have AF miles but many of the third party awards (AMEX, Chase, Citi) can transfer into AF. I believe one of them currently are running a transfer bonus too.

I have no affiliation with juicymiles.com but it is an excellent tool for searching across all airlines and alliances.
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM, AA-G, SPG-G, UA-S
I would just book the SAN-CDG part online and then call to add the CDG-NCE part. Usually works for me
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
For international flights that is subject to the immigration & custom rules of the country or regional area (e.g. Eu Schegen) you are entering.
Is common clear immigration & customs at the first port of entry. Schengen can be different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
In my experience this doesn't matter. I recently flew, on one ticket ATL-CDG, then CDG-GVA on a second ticket, first was delta issued and marketed second was AF ticketed and marketed, and had my bags tagged all the way through. I didn't see nor touch them in Paris. Similarly, I flew JFK-PVG-PEK-NKG-SYD, all one ticket all on MU, and never saw nor touched my bag until SYD. Admittedly, I don't check bags often, but my limited experience has shown, to me, that only the US requires you to manually recheck your bags. But we're also the only country that doesn't require exit customs, so it's a draw.
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
In my experience this doesn't matter. I recently flew, on one ticket ATL-CDG, then CDG-GVA on a second ticket, first was delta issued and marketed second was AF ticketed and marketed, and had my bags tagged all the way through. I didn't see nor touch them in Paris. Similarly, I flew JFK-PVG-PEK-NKG-SYD, all one ticket all on MU, and never saw nor touched my bag until SYD. Admittedly, I don't check bags often, but my limited experience has shown, to me, that only the US requires you to manually recheck your bags. But we're also the only country that doesn't require exit customs, so it's a draw.
Canada also has no exit immigration. Number of countries require you pickup bags when connecting to a domestic flight. The US has st least made headway and in certain cases it's not required when connecting ITI.

As for OP, DL by policy will protect when on separate tickets as long as they're both DL or DL and AF/KL. Just had this happen on the 10th.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
SJC-ATL-DTW-PEK.

Purchased F for SJC-ATL-DTW; DTW-PEK on Virgin awards Delta One.

Three hours layover in DTW, and my bag didnít make it to be with me on my 189 flight. The app shows my bag will be in Beijing on next dayís flight to Beijing. My final destination is a city 300 miles from Beijing.

Will land in Beijing in 2 hours and see how DL handles this.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
SJC-ATL-DTW-PEK.

Purchased F for SJC-ATL-DTW; DTW-PEK on Virgin awards Delta One.

Three hours layover in DTW, and my bag didnít make it to be with me on my 189 flight. The app shows my bag will be in Beijing on next dayís flight to Beijing. My final destination is a city 300 miles from Beijing.

Will land in Beijing in 2 hours and see how DL handles this.
Did DL stop flying SJC-DTW?

Courier services in China are remarkably efficient these days (e.g. 顺风 typically manages to get my parcels to recipients much faster than I could possibly do if I hand carried them), so I wouldn't worry about the bag shipment.