Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Serious is Delta: check-in 3 hr. before international flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

I will be flying from LAS w/o checked baggage premium cabins to Europe with an MSP 47 minute connection and then on to Europe. I expect to breeze thru LAS security in virtually no time. I realize I will have to show passport to check-in. The ticket is deeply discounted so I can't afford to have Delta deny me boarding and tell me to take another flight. If I don't have any problems going thru LAS security and check-in an hour early w/o luggage, is there any chance Delta will bounce me or fail to accommodate me if I misconnect in MSP with the 47 minute connect time? Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Nope.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:53 am

If you make the LAS-MSP flight, then the time you arrived to make it is irrelevant.
If you misconnect because LAS-MSP flight is late, that's DL's fault, not yours and you should be re-accommodated.

But, you should check in on the app, so that there's no issue. Also, presumably if LAS-MSP is delayed before takeoff, you want to have your options open for other flights LAS-EUR, via any other hub -- DTW, ATL, JFK, etc., perhaps even LAX.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
They'll check your documents at LAS, and I do recommend showing up there somewhat early, because a human being will need to see your passport. That said, it'll be fine if you check in online and then use a mobile boarding pass to get through security; you'll just get paged at the gate to present your passport to the GA.
But basically, once you're checked in initially, you should be good to go: as soon as you're known to have shown up on time and with valid documentation at LAS, it's on Delta to get you to your destination.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As long as you meet the check-in deadlines etc at LAS you will be fine. Just don't cut it too fine because as mentioned your passport will need to be checked and you really shouldn't assume security will be a breeze (I recall a thread last year on either the DL or AA board where someone turned up 55 minutes pre departure 'because it was always fine before' but then got caught in a security meltdown)

IF you then miss your international leg because the flight to MSP is delayed then DL will protect you. Your time of check-in at LAS won't have any bearing on that protection.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that three hours is the recommended time to arrive at the airport, for those who never fly and will need time to find the check in counter etc.

Normal DL check in and bag drop deadline is one hour for International, but a domestic flight connecting to international means that the domestic deadline for LAS would apply. It's 30 minutes at many airports but be sure to verify this as some USA airports require 45 minutes or an hour, especially if you're checking a bag.

From MSP there are lots of ways for DL to get you to Europe: 3 AMS nonstops on most days, one DL to CDG and one AF (but bad aircraft) to CDG, and one DL to LHR. The London flight tends to leave last, around 10 pm, with the AF flight at approximately 8 pm. Check your options in advance if you're concerned about the MSP connection.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:28 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
What happened to DL starting that whole "automatically checking people in" initiative. I seem to remember getting a note that you no longer need to check in, but when I login to the App on my phone I still get the option to "check-in".

Either way, you can always check in remotely on the phone in plenty of time, and then you just need to be at the gate by the cutoff time so it seems like any actual check-in requirements are pointless anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can Sky Club agents do a passport check?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd not assume LAS security will be easy or quick. There are so many variables in that city, in addition to the tourists there are conferences that could all be letting out the day you're flying and the road warriors will clog up your TSAPre line. I've seen TSA staffing issues where the agent was alternating between the general and the TSAPre lane for ID checks.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
What happened to DL starting that whole "automatically checking people in" initiative. I seem to remember getting a note that you no longer need to check in, but when I login to the App on my phone I still get the option to "check-in".

Either way, you can always check in remotely on the phone in plenty of time, and then you just need to be at the gate by the cutoff time so it seems like any actual check-in requirements are pointless anyway.
If you're flying international, you have to present your passport at the airport. I believe scanning your passport at a self-check kiosk will get the "DOCS - OK" on your boarding pass, but otherwise you'll need to see an agent at some point. That's one reason why international flights still have a manual check-in process.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Normally yes if it's straightforward and you clearly do not need a visa.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From MSP there are lots of ways for DL to get you to Europe: 3 AMS nonstops on most days, one DL to CDG and one AF (but bad aircraft) to CDG, and one DL to LHR. The London flight tends to leave last, around 10 pm, with the AF flight at approximately 8 pm. Check your options in advance if you're concerned about the MSP connection.
Also one KL flight to AMS on most days, making it 4x/day to AMS.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that three hours is the recommended time to arrive at the airport, for those who never fly and will need time to find the check in counter etc.
3 hours is what Delta cuts and paste into seeming all their day of travel documents now. Even at my local wee airport, which has a total of ten gates only if you include the Allegiant corral downstairs and isn't even open for passengers three hours before the first group of flights departs.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Yep, good info above. You've probably seen the DL page that says:
"When you’re traveling outside of the United States, we make the suggestion to arrive at least 3 hours prior to your departure. You must be checked in at least 1 hour before your scheduled departure."

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...ional-check-in

You don't have checked luggage, but the standard cutoff at LAS for domestic flights is 45 min, over the default 30 min.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cayohueso
There is no Sky Club in LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.