FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MSY weather waiver -- Hurricane Barry July 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1977556-msy-weather-waiver-hurricane-barry-july-2019-a.html)

koreanair720 Jul 10, 2019 11:35 am

MSY weather waiver -- Hurricane Barry July 2019

Looks like New Orleans will suffer, at minimum, flooding this weekend as a hurricane charges in. Any sense how early DL might offer a travel waiver? I'm supposed to fly into MSY on Sunday...

FlyerWx Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm thinking a waiver of some sort within the next 24 hours seems likely.

The path and intensity of the storm is a bit more uncertain than usual given a well-defined center hasn't formed. Either way, the rainfall threat for Louisiana looks pretty bad.

indufan Jul 11, 2019 11:32 am

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...al-storm-barry

FlyerWx Jul 11, 2019 11:57 am

Here are the details of the weather waiver:

Date of Impacted Travel: July 12-14, 2019

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
  • Gulfport, MS (GPT)
  • Jackson, MS (JAN)
  • Lafayette, LA (LFT)
  • Mobile, AL (MOB)
  • New Orleans, LA (MSY)
New travel must originate on or before: July 17, 2019

News article posted by DL: https://news.delta.com/meteorologist...tropical-storm . Delta doesn't anticipate any cancellations, but obviously it could change. Based on current forecasts, MSY on Saturday afternoon could get some pretty bad weather.

koreanair720 Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 31293342)
Here are the details of the weather waiver:

Date of Impacted Travel: July 12-14, 2019

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
  • Gulfport, MS (GPT)
  • Jackson, MS (JAN)
  • Lafayette, LA (LFT)
  • Mobile, AL (MOB)
  • New Orleans, LA (MSY)
New travel must originate on or before: July 17, 2019

News article posted by DL: https://news.delta.com/meteorologist...tropical-storm . Delta doesn't anticipate any cancellations, but obviously it could change. Based on current forecasts, MSY on Saturday afternoon could get some pretty bad weather.

Thank you!
Obviously subject to change, as you say, but I think by Sunday afternoon I should be OK...

yohanson Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am

I rebooked Wednesday and got out yesterday. They waived the change fee.

SuperG1955 Jul 12, 2019 5:43 pm

They still have all the inbounds from ATL and NYC tonight which means they have aircraft RON for tomorrows early flights.

spudley007 Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 31297962)
They still have all the inbounds from ATL and NYC tonight which means they have aircraft RON for tomorrows early flights.

I thought the same thing, but then I looked closer and they actually ferried all those flights (plus the one from DTW and LAX) to ATL. They're supposed to go back in the morning for the early flights (although some are showing delayed). Guessing it is to get the crew out of MSY (as they probably don't really want to stay there) and if the weather gets worse, the planes aren't stuck there.

SuperG1955 Jul 13, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by spudley007 (Post 31298647)
I thought the same thing, but then I looked closer and they actually ferried all those flights (plus the one from DTW and LAX) to ATL. They're supposed to go back in the morning for the early flights (although some are showing delayed). Guessing it is to get the crew out of MSY (as they probably don't really want to stay there) and if the weather gets worse, the planes aren't stuck there.

I didn't stay up as late as you did. :D
Yes, they did ferry them out late last night. I checked a couple of aircraft this AM and they were ferried from ATL. The aircraft I checked were the scheduled early departures from MSY which were ferried to the destinations for their cancelled MSY flights this morning. (LGA, JFK, MSY)

Marylou Jul 13, 2019 10:18 am

Just got a notice that while the airport is open, all early morning flights in and out are cancelled. Since the weather is just now kicking in with some serious gusts, at least at my house, I don’t see that changing any time soon.

SuperG1955 Jul 13, 2019 12:34 pm

I just checked the flight board and all flights, all airlines, today are cancelled today.

We'll have to wait until later to find out about tomorrow since they'll have to get aircraft in. When flights resume expect it to start with inbounds.
While the airport is on relatively high ground (3-4' ASL) they still need to get staff to the airport.

I'm glad that we're up north for the summer.

Orange County Commuter Jul 13, 2019 6:38 pm

I just saw that Delta is ferrying planes back to resume operations tomorrow.

sydneyracquelle Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 31299899)
I just checked the flight board and all flights, all airlines, today are cancelled today.

We'll have to wait until later to find out about tomorrow since they'll have to get aircraft in. When flights resume expect it to start with inbounds.
While the airport is on relatively high ground (3-4' ASL) they still need to get staff to the airport.

I'm glad that we're up north for the summer.

The last 3 flights from ATL>MSY all went ahead as scheduled today Saturday.

SuperG1955 Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 31300738)
I just saw that Delta is ferrying planes back to resume operations tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31300799)

The last 3 flights from ATL>MSY all went ahead as scheduled today Saturday.

The flights this evening are revenue flights with passengers. ATL/LAX/JFK/DTW

Looks like they'll almost resume scheduled operation in the AM

Xeno Jul 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Tomorrow I will fly OKC-ATL around 12:45 pm. The projected path of Barry looks like trouble for flights going across AR and TN during that time of day.

Unfortunately, this is an international ticket (on to STR) so I cannot SDC the first flight and know that DL will not proactively rebook me without a clear weather bulletin.

I do not have checked luggage so is there anything better than going to the TA and asking about SB if the weather forecast looks threatening tomorrow morning?