Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSY weather waiver -- Hurricane Barry July 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass

Looks like New Orleans will suffer, at minimum, flooding this weekend as a hurricane charges in. Any sense how early DL might offer a travel waiver? I'm supposed to fly into MSY on Sunday...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I'm thinking a waiver of some sort within the next 24 hours seems likely.

The path and intensity of the storm is a bit more uncertain than usual given a well-defined center hasn't formed. Either way, the rainfall threat for Louisiana looks pretty bad.
yohanson likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...al-storm-barry
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Here are the details of the weather waiver:

Date of Impacted Travel: July 12-14, 2019

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
  • Gulfport, MS (GPT)
  • Jackson, MS (JAN)
  • Lafayette, LA (LFT)
  • Mobile, AL (MOB)
  • New Orleans, LA (MSY)
New travel must originate on or before: July 17, 2019

News article posted by DL: https://news.delta.com/meteorologist...tropical-storm . Delta doesn't anticipate any cancellations, but obviously it could change. Based on current forecasts, MSY on Saturday afternoon could get some pretty bad weather.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Here are the details of the weather waiver:

Date of Impacted Travel: July 12-14, 2019

Affected Area(s) To/From/Through the following cities:
  • Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
  • Gulfport, MS (GPT)
  • Jackson, MS (JAN)
  • Lafayette, LA (LFT)
  • Mobile, AL (MOB)
  • New Orleans, LA (MSY)
New travel must originate on or before: July 17, 2019

News article posted by DL: https://news.delta.com/meteorologist...tropical-storm . Delta doesn't anticipate any cancellations, but obviously it could change. Based on current forecasts, MSY on Saturday afternoon could get some pretty bad weather.
Thank you!
Obviously subject to change, as you say, but I think by Sunday afternoon I should be OK...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I rebooked Wednesday and got out yesterday. They waived the change fee.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
They still have all the inbounds from ATL and NYC tonight which means they have aircraft RON for tomorrows early flights.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They still have all the inbounds from ATL and NYC tonight which means they have aircraft RON for tomorrows early flights.
I thought the same thing, but then I looked closer and they actually ferried all those flights (plus the one from DTW and LAX) to ATL. They're supposed to go back in the morning for the early flights (although some are showing delayed). Guessing it is to get the crew out of MSY (as they probably don't really want to stay there) and if the weather gets worse, the planes aren't stuck there.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by spudley007
I thought the same thing, but then I looked closer and they actually ferried all those flights (plus the one from DTW and LAX) to ATL. They're supposed to go back in the morning for the early flights (although some are showing delayed). Guessing it is to get the crew out of MSY (as they probably don't really want to stay there) and if the weather gets worse, the planes aren't stuck there.
I didn't stay up as late as you did.
Yes, they did ferry them out late last night. I checked a couple of aircraft this AM and they were ferried from ATL. The aircraft I checked were the scheduled early departures from MSY which were ferried to the destinations for their cancelled MSY flights this morning. (LGA, JFK, MSY)
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Just got a notice that while the airport is open, all early morning flights in and out are cancelled. Since the weather is just now kicking in with some serious gusts, at least at my house, I don’t see that changing any time soon.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:34 pm

I just checked the flight board and all flights, all airlines, today are cancelled today.

We'll have to wait until later to find out about tomorrow since they'll have to get aircraft in. When flights resume expect it to start with inbounds.
While the airport is on relatively high ground (3-4' ASL) they still need to get staff to the airport.

I'm glad that we're up north for the summer.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:38 pm

I just saw that Delta is ferrying planes back to resume operations tomorrow.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I just checked the flight board and all flights, all airlines, today are cancelled today.

We'll have to wait until later to find out about tomorrow since they'll have to get aircraft in. When flights resume expect it to start with inbounds.
While the airport is on relatively high ground (3-4' ASL) they still need to get staff to the airport.

I'm glad that we're up north for the summer.
The last 3 flights from ATL>MSY all went ahead as scheduled today Saturday.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I just saw that Delta is ferrying planes back to resume operations tomorrow.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

The last 3 flights from ATL>MSY all went ahead as scheduled today Saturday.
The flights this evening are revenue flights with passengers. ATL/LAX/JFK/DTW

Looks like they'll almost resume scheduled operation in the AM
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Tomorrow I will fly OKC-ATL around 12:45 pm. The projected path of Barry looks like trouble for flights going across AR and TN during that time of day.

Unfortunately, this is an international ticket (on to STR) so I cannot SDC the first flight and know that DL will not proactively rebook me without a clear weather bulletin.

I do not have checked luggage so is there anything better than going to the TA and asking about SB if the weather forecast looks threatening tomorrow morning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.