Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Smokers in Europe (at least in England and France) can still smoke in the outdoor parts of cafes and restaurants, which is not true in the US. It has made sitting outdoors in a cafe a smokier experience than it used to be, as all the smokers are now concentrated at those tables.
Just returned from northern Europe and Sweden has banned patio smoking as of July 1. Norway and Denmark still allow it.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by kop84
Write this up as being an unintended consequence of treating smokers worse than we as a society treat dead-beat dads. As a former smoker, I'm telling you that it is a serious addiction that will override your common sense...I never smoked where I wasn't supposed to but I wasn't that heavy a smoker.

Smoking should absolutely not be allowed inside anymore. But half the time to have a "quick" smoke break its a 20 minute walk, then you need a team of sled dogs, and then you have to answer the bridge troll's three questions to get to the 2 square feet in a city block it's "ok" to smoke...I'm exaggerating but not all that much for people who work in skyscrapers.

We can get a small outdoor area at most airports where someone can smoke quick before their flight. It wouldn't be that hard or expensive. Some Cyclone fencing and a few old coffee cans will be more than enough for the smokers to not sneak one in the airport bathroom.

Yes I know people should quit. But it's perfectly ok at the airport to have a huge steak, loaded baked potato, and a huge slice of cheesecake, washed down with 3 beers and a scotch, then hop on a motorized cart to get dropped off at the gate, or maybe a quick pit stop to grab a Double Shake Shack burger for the flight complete with a Coke the size of a large movie theater popcorn. And just before you board pop a couple of Xanax to help you relax.

TLDR: give smokers a tiny outdoor area and they won't smoke inside.
This is a good point. My first reaction was to agree with this decision, but now I’m not so sure. I’m someone who’s sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I avoid places where smoking is allowed. I can’t avoid it if people start lighting up everywhere. I had a 6-month-dispute with a neighbor in my apartment complex who smoked in the hall in front of my entrance instead of taking an extra minute to go downstairs...

Actually, the scenario you described reminded me of an episode of The IT Crowd, if any of you guys watched that, where the office’s only designated smoking area is what looks like a dilapidated bus stop shelter several blocks away, leading one of the smokers to revolt against their treatment. And that show was British and from 10 years ago.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by William1865
Flying through ATL a few Sundays ago, I saw a Delta FA in one of the smoking rooms - I would be peeved if an FA on my flight reeked of cigarette smoke.
Have you noticed it before....because it has happened every day since forever?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I fly out of LAS. It seems like I have a magnet that my seatmate has spent as much of their time before boarding in the smoking areas as possible (often with the additional smells of still being drunk/not bothering to shower). What a lovely way to start the day.
I would happily take exactly that passenger you describe next to me over someone who is too large to fit in a seat. I can position the air vent to to push the air away. I cant physically move someone’s adipose
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Have you noticed it before....because it has happened every day since forever?
I can honestly say that no, I've not noticed it before, though I generally don't go scoping out smoking rooms during ATL connections. I just happened to pass by one this time and thought how archaic it is. I've seen FAs/Pilots smoking outside of airports and I think it just looks trashy.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by William1865
I can honestly say that no, I've not noticed it before, though I generally don't go scoping out smoking rooms during ATL connections. I just happened to pass by one this time and thought how archaic it is. I've seen FAs/Pilots smoking outside of airports and I think it just looks trashy.
LOL looks trashy... SMH
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Tomphot
BTW, on A, there is the TAP bar where smoking is allowed, you have to be drinking to be smoking. Also allowed in areas of Gordan Biersch and Terrapin.
The Atlanta newspaper is reporting that smoking is being banned from those establishments as well:
In addition to the closure of smoking rooms at the world’s busiest airport, smoking will no longer be permitted at the three airport restaurants that have allowed it: Gordon Biersch, TAP and Terrapin Taphouse.

Signs are going up around the airport to notify passengers of the new ban.

The airport’s domestic terminal and international terminal now have designated outdoor smoking zones. But those zones are not within the airport’s security-controlled areas, meaning passengers connecting between flights in Atlanta would have to leave the secure concourses to smoke, then go back through security to catch their next flight.
Link: AJC.com - Hartsfield-Jackson to close smoking rooms due to new city ordinance (December 17. 2019)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Bloody Millennials again
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I continue to not understand the point of this. If there are designated places for smokers to smoke that don’t disturb anyone else, why get rid of them?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I’m not one usually overly sympathetic to smokers but it seems like this move has many unintended secondary and tertiary effects (though ATL sounds like it’s hardly the first airport to implement this). This will make security lines that much longer from those who leave security to go smoke - a burden for passengers and TSA. Also makes me wonder if in addition to people simply going and lighting up in bathroom stalls to not have to leave security, if they’ll be more likely to try to light-up in the lav on the plane.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’m not one usually overly sympathetic to smokers but it seems like this move has many unintended secondary and tertiary effects (though ATL sounds like it’s hardly the first airport to implement this). This will make security lines that much longer from those who leave security to go smoke - a burden for passengers and TSA. Also makes me wonder if in addition to people simply going and lighting up in bathroom stalls to not have to leave security, if they’ll be more likely to try to light-up in the lav on the plane.
Agreed. I also am not sympathetic to smokers, but if it doesn’t bother me and gives them a place to go and get their fix, why get rid of the designated areas?
AeRoSpaceman and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. I also am not sympathetic to smokers, but if it doesn’t bother me and gives them a place to go and get their fix, why get rid of the designated areas?
when the city passed the law, they didn’t make an exception for the airport.

Nashville airport gets away with paid smoking clubs as the city and state ordinance allows smoking in 21 and older clubs and restaurants.

The City of Atlanta made no exceptions for some public buildings (ATL) but not others.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
In restaurants or bars that allow smoking, there are servers, cleaners, etc that are exposed to smoke. The long term health consequences, as well as future legal liability outweigh the smokers convenience.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
In restaurants or bars that allow smoking, there are servers, cleaners, etc that are exposed to smoke. The long term health consequences, as well as future legal liability outweigh the smokers convenience.
I agree with you for the restaurant.

I am not a smoker and not "support" them.

But, why close a room where they can go. At least leave them ONE place...
AeRoSpaceman and James91 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Bloody Millennials again
Come on man. I'm one of the older Millennials (1984), and the virulent anti-smoking campaigns started when I was in elementary school, and my Gen X cousins were all still smoking in HS bathrooms at that point... so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.